Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Benjamin Discovery for $300 online at walmart!
Benjamin Discovery for $300 online at walmart! 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
viper2788
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Benjamim-Discovery-.22-Caliber-PCP-Powered-Carbine-with-High-Pressure-Hand-Pump/14234837

Brand new(gun+hand pump)! Is this too good to be true? I mean most online stores such as Pyramyd sell it for around $400, which is their "sale price." Could I get some confirmation on this being the legit thing? Hell, I may just order this tonight... Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
What you are seeing is more of Crosman becoming a "big box" producer. When they made "special" models for the likes of WalMart- other stores could deal with it, but now it appears as though they are letting WalMart carry the entire product line- at prices that obviously allow WalMart to undercut everyone if they so choose to do.

As long as they only do this periodically on certain models- probably not a big deal for specialty stores- but if they start doing it on all the products- ultimately Crosman and the consumer will be hurt as specialty shops will discontinue selling products that they cannot compete on. Crosman could get addicted to Walmart- and if they do, WalMart runs the show- not Crosman. New models? Not likely. Extra effort, engineering and QC- also not likely. All production going overseas- pretty likely.

Anyone who ever read a business magazine is aware WalMart can break you if you aren't a huge multinational already (Crosman does not fit this category, multinational- sort of, huge- no)- and will attempt to break you to get the bottom-barrel price. Look at Daisy- they seem to have been trapped in this scenario and have not, in as far as anyone can tell- produced a truly new product in years, have lost alot of market share and rely on WalMart selling millions of Red Ryders to stay in business.

Either way, irrelevant from a purchase perspective- if it's a deal, it's a deal and hopefully WalMart doesn't outsmart Crosman in the long run.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I got the last one at Scheel's before Christmas at $299 including pump...so its not unheard of...but I'd grab it if you don't have one (or enough of them.) Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Just to give an example, and this is only applicable to the US (other countries have different prices, all higher)- at $299.99 no dealer except those with specially negotiated prices (i.e. big boxes) is making a cent- the consumer is basically paying what a regular US dealer would be paying, if that dealer had some amount of sales volume with Crosman to get the maximum applicable discount. As such, it is unlikely a price lower than $299.99 is to be found, except perhaps at bankruptcy or lost-freight auctions.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
viper2788
Hmm, just three days after making this thread, the price jumped up to $330 and its out of stock all of the sudden... lol perhaps i should have kept my mouth shut!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Funny- probably had nothing to do with you- maybe just a "clear-out" for Wal-Mart (thus the now "out of stock" situation)...

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
mtsheron
My only issue with the Benji Disco.................that butt ugly stock!!! If they would put a Marauder styled stock on it then that gun would more than likely sell off the charts more so than they could imagine!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
robert w
and when other stores price match sometimes they loose ,hoping you will buy something else to cover their losses . i hate walmart dont buy much there except shotgun news and crosman cphps

,crosman 400,gamo big cat in .22, diana 5g,diana 54 air king, diana 34 in .22 diana 34 in .177, wilrauch hw-55,and a romainian pioner training rifle , and a huge collection of powder burners 35 last count . 1 would think i have a gun store

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Scheel's here has been out of discos too since I got the last one at $299 before Christmas. I think they dropped them. No shelf space for them anymore. Now all they have is cheaper .177 cal. break-barrel springers and a few plastic pump-up pneumatics.

mtsheron wrote:
My only issue with the Benji Disco.................that butt ugly stock!!! If they would put a Marauder styled stock on it then that gun would more than likely sell off the charts more so than they could imagine!

I may have bad taste, but I actually like the disco stock better than the marauder stock. I don't like the look of deep cut pistol grip stocks with high combs. I like the sleek, lightweight look of the disco. It's just a traditional look to me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
viper2788
mtsheron wrote:

I thought so too at first, and my first mod was going to be a Katana stock upgrade from Pyramyd. However, the walnut stock really grew on me and I actually love the wood grain on it. Taking a second look at the Katana stock, it just looks like a painted piece of plywood. Will not be upgrading... or rather downgrading.
Benjamin Discovery for $300 online at walmart! 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles