Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Questions about tophats
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Questions about tophats 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
garththomas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Posts: 165
Location: Ontario, Canada
I just put a tophat in my QB57, as far as I know they don't come with tophats but I read that springers with light pistons such as mine can benefit. I had a friend mill me one to the dimensions I wanted, unfortunatley I remembered to take the pic after it was installed. Embarassed
Overall it was 1.25" long .25 of it being the brim so it added an extra 1/4" of prelode on the spring. I used Acetron GP and drilled it hollow, so far I have noticed no I'll effects. There does seem to be a louder pop and I think its hitting harder, I'm debating whether to take the plunge and buy myself a chrony for my birthday. Very Happy Now that its done, what do you think, any doubts or pointers, should I have made it longer. When I had my spring guide made I added 1/2" to its length and added to its diameter so that I had to sand abit to get it in, but I heard that you want a snug fitting spring guide as well.

_________________
QB57
Backyard Sweeper
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Did you use it in combination with a spring guide?

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
Absolutely smashing...Yes perfectly fit smooth spring guides and similar tophats are always good things in my opinion. The limiting factor for length of the tophat is always how much room is left between the end of the springguide and the bottom of the piston.

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 523
I think top hats, and especially more so with heavier ones, help to not lose so much velocity with heavier pellets. Especially since adding weight on front of the spring adds velocity
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 1138
Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
domer_pyle wrote:
I think top hats, and especially more so with heavier ones, help to not lose so much velocity with heavier pellets. Especially since adding weight on front of the spring adds velocity

I agree. More momentum in the piston may mean less piston bounce back and that's the biggest loss of efficiency in a springer.
That Quest I tuned up, I added a thick washer between the tophat and piston, shoots smoother than the Vantage with >10 grainers now, and now that its starting to get broken in is averaging 835 fps with 10.65 gr. Barracudas. The power level is blowing away the Vantage clone.

_________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
View user's profile Send private message
Questions about tophats 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.