Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Seal leaks when switching from Crosman to Daisy Co2 Carts
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Seal leaks when switching from Crosman to Daisy Co2 Carts 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
I've been trying to save money when I can,so I bought a 5 pack of Daisy 12 gram carts for my 2300.I've never had an issue with the gun leaking while using the Crosman carts,but the Daisy's leak out overnight.I'm thinking that the seal has conformed to the Crosman cartridges,thus the problem?.I can't confirm this yet,as I have not installed a new Crosman cart since using the Daisy's....not a big deal,just wondering if it has happened to anyone else.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
It does occur- if you look at old seals of the style typically used in Crosman's (i.e. a "crush" seal) they do conform to the shape of the cartridge jammed up against them and will harden this way over time until eventually they leak with everything you try to install. It means it's likely time to replace the seal no matter what Co2 cartridges you plan to use going forward...

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
That's sound advice.....thanks.. Thumb Up!
I've always used pelgun oil on every cartridge,to keep the seals supple,but I guess the seal is just wearing out.....time to pull the valve,and check it out.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Posts: 2029
Location: Richmond, IN USA
How long have you had the 2300? Mine is 3 years old and I have never had a leak like that. I just am curious because I would like to know how long it will be before I have to replace mine. I also have a 2240 that is over 15 years old and I've yet to have to replace it. Just curious.

_________________
Airguns: Two starlings talking "Larry, did you hear that? Larry?? LARRY!!!!"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
oddtodd wrote:
How long have you had the 2300?

It was purchased March of 2010.Again,this was a sudden onset issue,and started happening from the very first Daisy cart,and all four thereafter.I've had Crosman carts in it for up to three weeks with no issues.Probably not a good practice,but I like to keep it charged...I like to be ready for pests etc.It's a pain to insert a new cartridge,when the situation calls for it.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
For Todd's situation- as long as the Co2 caplets you were using were the same spec. (i.e. all Crosman or all Daisy or all -whatver-) you seals have formed to shape as well- the bonus being that the 'shape' is that of whatever caplets you are using. At some point the seals will leak (when they start to disintegrate or you do change to a different caplet type). I honestly don't believe a typical Co2 "crush" type seal lasts more than a year or two before taking a "set". Of course if you remove caplets at the end of every day's shooting, perhaps it would take alot longer.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
Yup...the seal is toast.Just pulled the gas tube cap off,and took a peak down the tube,with a Mag light...It's crushed pretty bad.I'm sure there have been times I've overtightened the cap..... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Posts: 2029
Location: Richmond, IN USA
I'm like Mark and I keep mine charged too. I've always used crosman carts too. Maybe that's how I am so lucky. All I use is crosman. I stay away from anything daisy except for my son's red ryder. Well, I guess that sticking to factory parts has helped me this time. I've never had to replace a seal in any of my airguns.

_________________
Airguns: Two starlings talking "Larry, did you hear that? Larry?? LARRY!!!!"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Seal leaks when switching from Crosman to Daisy Co2 Carts 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.