 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | Co2, online merchants, random ???'s |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:16 pm |
|
|
| stepzonpenguinz |
| Loser |
|
 |
| Joined: 20 Nov 2011 |
| Posts: 13 |
|
|
|
 |
Until recently I've never owned a Co2 powered gun, but I'm quickly finding out that not only are FPS figures overly...optimistic....shots per cartridge are as well. I'm ok with that unless the difference is dramatic. In the case of Crosmans 357, it is. I've seen claims of people 'regularly' getting 70-80 shots per cart. That's 'good' shots btw. I understand temperature, rate of fire and the condition of the gun factor in to this but I am getting half of what most people claim before velocity falls off so much it's just a waste of pellets.
Same with the PX4 Storm. I've seen claims of 60-80 shots before power falls off but I get about 30-40.
For clarification, I normally shoot 3 rnds at a time, waiting a minute or so between shots and 10 to 15 mins between each 3, indoors at an ambient temperature of 72f/22c. Both pistols are new-ish, shoot well and are in fine shape.
Now, the manufacturer's stretching of the truth I can understand, but owners? Why would anyone lie about something like that? Or is it possible that I simply got a pair of lemons? Are there any Co2 pistols (bb, pellet or both) that actually live up to their claims?
On that note, I'd appreciate some recommendations for online airgun sources servicing the U.S., besides Pyramid. My first (and last) order with them left me less-than-impressed but certainly they're not the only game in town.
And while i'm just rambling along.... I've noticed a bit of elitism in the airgun world during my constant quest for information. Apparently those who choose NOT to purchase pricey german (or whatever) guns are not 'serious' airgunners, but here today-gone tomorrow types that are better left ignored. Of course you run into this no matter the pursuit or interest at hand but I find it particularly amusing when these same people complain about not being taken seriously by 'real' gun owners. I signed up at AirGunHome after lurking for months because I saw no evidence of it happening here, as opposed to a certain large American ag forum. Just curious what your thoughts may be on this.
Lastly, (for now) if 33ft/10m is the standard pistol range, what is the standard for rifle? Not that I have that kind of space to practice in but it's good to know the benchmark.
Thanks guys! |
|
_________________ I am a loser who likes to start fights for no reason. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:44 pm |
|
|
| NZ Shooter |
| Suspended |
|
 |
| Joined: 17 Dec 2011 |
| Posts: 146 |
| Location: Dunedin, New Zealand |
|
|
 |
I do not think you have lemons, I owned, and very stupidly sold, a stunning $600 Walther CP88 CNW CO2 pistol. ( Thats the pistol on the left of the 4 guns when you type www.airgunhome.com into your browser ). Anyhow, I only managed 5 clips of 8 shots before a large, pellet-wasting, drop in pressure.
And it too, advertsed 60-80 'good' shots.
As for rifle shooting, I know of 10, 25 and 30 metre indoor targets.
I'm not too sure about field target shooting, however. I'm sure one of our brothers' in arms here will field that for you, if indeed you were refering to outdoor, or not? |
|
_________________ Webley Patriot .22 @ 28 fpe
Nikko MountMaster 4x40 AO |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:05 pm |
|
|
| stepzonpenguinz |
| Loser |
|
 |
| Joined: 20 Nov 2011 |
| Posts: 13 |
|
|
|
 |
I was, thank you NZ. There is a stretch nearby that would accommodate those distances but it's without a suitable safe backdrop and the owner won't allow me to put up a permanent lead stopper. Jeebus 30m indoors!?! I sure hope field is not any longer than that..I can barely see the target at 10m!
And you're right that gun is drop dead gorgeous. It's that kind of craftmanship that draws me to this sport afterall. Beautiful. I think I'd plead temporary insanity.  |
|
_________________ I am a loser who likes to start fights for no reason. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:33 pm |
|
|
| SMP |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 04 Feb 2011 |
| Posts: 1183 |
| Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario |
|
|
 |
I don"t think you got a pair of lemons. If I can remember correctly 40 good shoots seems about right for the 357 I used to own.
It's also totally conceivable that your cartridges are a little less filled than cartridge X.
Elitism exists everywhere. In every hobby, sport, pass time, leisure activity and life in general. My general philosophy is high end German guns are almost as much fun as Chinese clones
ISSF Air rifle and pistol are the same 10m. But, most informal pistol competition/postal match is done at 5m
The 10m ISSF Pistol target is Huge compared to the rifle target |
|
_________________ Sean
 |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:53 pm |
|
|
| NZ Shooter |
| Suspended |
|
 |
| Joined: 17 Dec 2011 |
| Posts: 146 |
| Location: Dunedin, New Zealand |
|
|
 |
30 metres indoors is awesome. There is a hall here where I live that has ( or maybe had ) a 30m range.I bowled in there one day with my Patriot (check out yesterdays Picture Gallery post of mine ) and there were maybe 15 people there shooting sub-600 fps FWB's and other such target rifles on the 10m gallery. I had 30 eyes on me, as they all hesitated for a moment, watching me carrying in a monster springer.... their jaws on the deck, eyes popping outta their heads. I roll up to the 30m gallery, popped a few un-caring shots to warm the barrell and internals.
Instantly, half of them were over my shoulder wondering if all hell had broken loose, and I actually fired a rimfire instead of my magnum! It was not obviously a sonic crack, however, indoors with my gun is f'in loud, and these fellas had super quiet guns. They simply could not get over the power. I let a fella maybe twice my age (60 odd ) have a shot, the recoil almost knocked his glasses off his face!! " HOLY S**T" he exclaimed.
I never went back..... |
|
_________________ Webley Patriot .22 @ 28 fpe
Nikko MountMaster 4x40 AO |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:17 pm |
|
|
| thepaladin |
| Senior Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 12 Dec 2007 |
| Posts: 930 |
| Location: TN USA |
|
|
 |
stepzonpenguinz, not sure where you're posting from. I have several co2 gus and most are great. But below 70 degrees (f) or 21 degrees (c) the power drops big time. co2 is a warm weather power source. Also if you're shooting one gun shot after shot the co2 cylinder will chill and the pressure will drop. I tend to shoot a co2 and maybe a springer or pnumatic in the same session if I can. That allows me to shoot a few shots or magazines from the co2 and then lay it aside for a few minutes. Of course hunting you wouldn't be shooting fast and frequently enough for that to be a factor.
Hope I helped and didn't just go over "stuff" you already knew. |
|
_________________ "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke) |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:00 am |
|
|
| stepzonpenguinz |
| Loser |
|
 |
| Joined: 20 Nov 2011 |
| Posts: 13 |
|
|
|
 |
Oh no not at all! I genuinely appreciate everyone's advice or insight, and even if I have heard about something my thick head usually requires at least a few doses before it absorbs it completely. I guess I'll just have to wait til summer gets here to see if the shot count improves, but I have been researching pistols with alternative power sources to use during the winter.
Which reminds me of another question I've been meaning to ask...
I'm sure the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies to airguns as it does to most other things, but I'm beginning to suspect the difference may not be as great as it should be. I had the opportunity to shoot a Weihrauch HW 75 and a Crossman 2300T side by side last weekend and honestly neither gun stood out as inherently more accurate than the other-both are FAR better shooters than I am! So I suppose my question really is, does it make sense for someone who is fully aware of his limitations to drop a couple thousand on a gun with which he would not be any more accurate than if he purchased one for significantly less? At first I attributed the huge price discrepancies as the difference between a servicable, built-to-last heirloom quality piece vs a use-it-til-it breaks-and toss-it type gun. But digging deeper revealed very few replacement parts are available regardless of manufacturer, in essence making even the top dollar guns throw-aways. To me an $1800 Feinwerkbau can't really be $1300 better than a IZH46M or Beeman P1 if none of them can be repaired.
| Quote: |
| My general philosophy is high end German guns are almost as much fun as Chinese clones |
Not only is that applicable but it's funny as heck-I have a 'Beeman' P17 on the way to test that very thing! |
|
_________________ I am a loser who likes to start fights for no reason. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:55 am |
|
|
| SMP |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 04 Feb 2011 |
| Posts: 1183 |
| Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario |
|
|
 |
As far as the HW75 vs 2300T is concerned I'm not sure that it is a direct comparison. I think the HW75 is marketed toward people who want a crossover gun that looks feels and shoots like their slide action PB
Whereas the 2300T is an almost competitive level silhouette gun. I'm sure the 2300S could mop the floor with the HW when it came to serious paper punching.
I assure you the $1800 (more like $2500) FWB is rebuildable forever....is it $1300 better than gun X...only if you want to win  |
|
_________________ Sean
 |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:24 am |
|
|
| Alstone |
| Moderator & Site Supporter |

 |
 |
| Joined: 01 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 4139 |
| Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND |
|
|
 |
Hi
I have a CP88 short barrel and I get 60+ good shots in summer, also my QB’s all do 50 - 70 on a mild day.
Check when you fire if raw Co2 is coming out of the muzzle, if so for whatever reason the valve could be letting through to much Gas.
BTW try your CP88 on double action, it should use less gas this way than single action.
Al |
|
_________________
 |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:48 pm |
|
|
| oddtodd |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 30 Dec 2008 |
| Posts: 2029 |
| Location: Richmond, IN USA |
|
|
 |
| I get about 30 to 40 shots out of my 2300 and 2400. I get about 60 out of my 2240. I don"t know why that is because there hasn't been any mods done, and the 2240 has a short barrel compared to my 2300 and 2400. SOme of my others don't get very much better than that. I get 30 out of my baby desert eagle, 40 out of my p10 and c11 and about 40 out of my 1088. 40 to 60 seems about the average of the guns I own. I don't know why that is, but it seems to be a trend for me. I shoot 5 cans at a time, so maybe that is why I get less, but I don't worry about it too much. I get good performance out of my CO2s to about 60 degrees Fahrenheit so YMMV. I also buy my carts 25 at a time from meijer's stores. They are a lot cheaper that way. I think I paid 19.00 for my last box. |
|
_________________ Airguns: Two starlings talking "Larry, did you hear that? Larry?? LARRY!!!!" |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.
|