Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » Another victim of the AT44-10
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Another victim of the AT44-10 
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
mod90
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 279
There's a possum that raids my fruits at night & frustrates the living crap out of me for weeks. Usually he comes down one of the the mango trees on the property. Every time I think "Tonight he's going to meet Jesus" the little bastard hides. While I was enjoying my coffee downstairs tonight, I saw the son of a sea rat coming down the mango tree. He looked at me, I looked at him, then back up the tree he ran for dear life. He made a second attempt and it went exactly as the first try he made.
Now get this funny thing. I know these things prefer to stay off the ground at all costs unless its time to sleep. But this bastard thought he was so smart. He knew I would usually look for him to come down the mango tree like so many nights before. On his third attempt he tried to outsmart me. The little bastard was walking on the ground. Too bad he didn't think I'd be upstairs on the balcony with a rifle in my hand and a bead on his helmet Twisted Evil
Shot was taken at about a 30 degree angle downwards at approx 40 yards


[/url]

Note the placement of the pellet. Almost smack dab in the middle of his melon. He could never have seen it coming. Now my pineapples and other fruits can end up in the kitchen again.

_________________
There is no tradition greater than the hunt, passed through countless generations. For those that enjoy the hunt, no explanation is needed. For those that do not, no explanation is good enough.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Posts: 501
Location: Fayette Nam, PA
Cool man. Where are you from?
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
jason3064
Member
Member
Joined: 27 Nov 2011
Posts: 40
Location: Trinidad & Tobago
well done mod,ah know what on the menu tomorrow lol.

_________________
Diana 350 magnum .177 Smoothe Bore ,leapers 3-9x40
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
mod90
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 279
@ toadmyster223, I'm from Barataria in Trinidad.

Jason, not tomorrow. Maybe weekend. I cleaned & cut it up already & have it soaking in seasoning. I might even just cook it & send it for my brother.
Next man on the line is a gouti that does be diggin up all my cassava & provision. Last time I see the damn thing & Mr. Gouti just watch me square in my face & stamp he foot & went back diggin. Jus now i will sort out all he issues.

_________________
There is no tradition greater than the hunt, passed through countless generations. For those that enjoy the hunt, no explanation is needed. For those that do not, no explanation is good enough.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
jason3064
Member
Member
Joined: 27 Nov 2011
Posts: 40
Location: Trinidad & Tobago
lol he brave.apparently he needs a dose of lead. by the way what do you use to fill your gun?

_________________
Diana 350 magnum .177 Smoothe Bore ,leapers 3-9x40
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
mod90
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 279
If I have time the hand pump. If I'm in a hurry I just use the scuba tank. U thinkin to go PCP?

_________________
There is no tradition greater than the hunt, passed through countless generations. For those that enjoy the hunt, no explanation is needed. For those that do not, no explanation is good enough.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:00 am Reply with quote
jason3064
Member
Member
Joined: 27 Nov 2011
Posts: 40
Location: Trinidad & Tobago
yeah ah was considering.but ah cant get over the idea of having to fill that tank all the time.the multi-shot and low recoil are attractive though

_________________
Diana 350 magnum .177 Smoothe Bore ,leapers 3-9x40
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Hopefully there aren't any baby possums waiting to come out... Smile

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
mod90
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 279
It was a young male, almost fully grown. From the tip of the snout to the base of the tail was 17 inches. Adult mature males average about 19-23 inches here. Some females get big enough to be mistaken for males sometimes. I use the size of the head and shape of the jaw to tell the difference between the sexes as well as color and markings.

_________________
There is no tradition greater than the hunt, passed through countless generations. For those that enjoy the hunt, no explanation is needed. For those that do not, no explanation is good enough.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
viper2788
Member
Member
Joined: 13 Oct 2011
Posts: 98
Location: Montgomery County, MD
mod90 wrote:
It was a young male, almost fully grown. From the tip of the snout to the base of the tail was 17 inches. Adult mature males average about 19-23 inches here. Some females get big enough to be mistaken for males sometimes. I use the size of the head and shape of the jaw to tell the difference between the sexes as well as color and markings.


or you could look between the legs Wink
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
mod90
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 279
I'd prefer not to look at a pair of nuts if I can avoid it Laughing Besides, they aren't exactly gonna stand still, spread their legs and and play "spot the difference"

_________________
There is no tradition greater than the hunt, passed through countless generations. For those that enjoy the hunt, no explanation is needed. For those that do not, no explanation is good enough.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
mod90 wrote:
I'd prefer not to look at a pair of nuts if I can avoid it Laughing

Words of wisdom right there Laughing
Good shot on the Possum.Haven't tried eating one yet though.They're a bit fugly looking for me. Razz


Last edited by Mark5043 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
mod90
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 279
Yeah, they're not much to look at. But lemme tell you, they taste a lot better than they look (depending on whose doing the preparation and cooking).
A word of advice though Mark. If you don't like a gamey taste to your meat I'd advise you to skin it and remove as much of the fat as you possibly can. Then look for the scent glands & remove those as well. And a lot of seasoning is in order. I posted a recipe somewhere around here if you're interested in trying it.

_________________
There is no tradition greater than the hunt, passed through countless generations. For those that enjoy the hunt, no explanation is needed. For those that do not, no explanation is good enough.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
I would try it for sure if given the opportunity.I don't mind gamey meets.. within reason of course.Things like venison etc.I agree with you on the scent gland removal.I like to soak some meats in a brine solution for a day or two.It pulls out much of the funky stuff.I do this with squirrel,and the like.I've also heard of soaking the meet in milk..."same way as the brine". Cooking is a huge part,as you know.One can make almost anything taste great with a little practice.

_________________
View user's profile Send private message
Another victim of the AT44-10 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.