Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics » Current scope is deadly accurate and works great!!!.....but Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Current scope is deadly accurate and works great!!!.....but 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
bullethole
Its a 4x32 centerpoint that came with my Remington(Crosman) Vantage break barrel 1200(fps), Im shooting below 1 inch groups close to bullseye at paper targets at around 55-60 feet with a well rested posture on a table Faq-U ....I was wondering what would be the next scope for further distance....Id like to stay with a fixed sight. I just want to look closer at the target but id like to stay with a good view at all distances so an adjustable would work great. Bushnell claims their scopes work with airguns but for me it didnt,I didnt drop it or hit it etc but the cross hairs moved instead of the perfect cross,the verticle crosshair moved sideways,I dont know how that happened but what would be a good brand for airguns if not Ill stay with center point. Im killing around 3-5 birds a day with one shot each but Im mostly just shooting at targets and plinking to test my skills and steadiness. I would appreciate any help and advice. Also I would like to say that Im really not hurting for money but Id like to stay around the $50 to $75 range with scopes. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Leapers 3-9 x 40 AO would be a good step up from your scope without breaking the bank.... and if it can survive a B-28 you should be OK....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
bullethole
is that leupold?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
What he said

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
LEAPERS.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Leapers, not Leupold.... You won't find a Leupold anywhere NEAR your budget.... and I'm not sure it would survive on a springer anyway....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
bullethole
Leupold is what I have on my firearm rifles,although I have a few bushnells and one buckmaster scope. Ill try the leapers,Ill see if the GunShop has some in stock! Idea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
DavidS
Banned
bullethole wrote:
Leupold is what I have on my firearm rifles,although I have a few bushnells and one buckmaster scope. Ill try the leapers,Ill see if the GunShop has some in stock! Idea

Hi Bullethole,

Leapers is a very good manufacturer of scopes that are rated for our Air Rifles and as Restern/Bob said the 3-9 x 40mm has gained a very good reputation and the New Leapers even have the EZ Tap illumated Mil-Dot Reticle to them and all are tested to withstand the high shock our Air Rifles produce. In fact it more than appears Leapers makes Center/Point.

I just now getting set up to offer the various line of leaper scopes and I plan on getting a 4-16 x56mm EZ Tap illuminated RGB Reticle with SWAT [Side Wheel Turet Focusing] which is really handy especially with the Big Focus Wheel Leapers also offers for not too much extra. You love the convenience of the side focusing especially with the big wheel.

This link is to the scope I like but you can go anywhere from there too. Be sure to click on the Green tabs down below the description of whichever scope your looking at. The also make a great 30mm tube 3-12 x44 EZ-Tap Mil-Dot Reticle with 36 different colors and SWAT feature also which is shown below the description of the detail for my 30mm 4-16 x56.

http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=optic&level1=Tube_Diameter&level2=30mm&itemno=SCP3-P416AOMDL&status=&mtrack=2m1

If I can be of any more help feel free to get in touch.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
DavidS wrote:
Leapers is a very good manufacturer of scopes

OK- I have to say it- until you own at least one Leapers scope- stop "reporting" what Leapers has sold you on.

Just as an 'FYI' Leapers manufactures nothing. The same factory complex in China manufactures scopes for at least 3 other brands (and likely a couple no-name, buy from Hong Kong-type vendors). Hearsay, when stated as one's own opinion without qualification is misleading to everyone.

I'm not suggesting that Leapers makes all junk or such- but all these claims of "testing" and "manufacture" are marketing BS. Go visit their "factory" in Michigan and then tell us how their manufacturing and testing really is. A storage warehouse, packaging area and an office with one shooting range lane does not a "factory" or detailed test facility make.

As you had mentioned elsewhere- you are exploring the idea of selling their line of product- that's fine and good luck- but the world doesn't need another "salesman" repeating bullsh!t heard from a "manufacturer" that doesn't actually manufacture anything. Do the research, test the product yourself- but do not repeat crap the sales staff at the supplier tells you- you won't be doing yourself or anyone other than the manufacturer any favors.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
The 4-16 x 56 is a big, heavy scope.... It weighs 25.8 oz. without the sidewheel and will require high rings.... IMO, 16X is higher than you will likely be able to use on a springer.... but to each his own....

I actually put the 3-9 x 32AO on my B-26 and I'm delighted with it.... It's lighter than the 3-9 x 40 AO I suggested as well, but doesn't have the Illuminated Reticle.... If you don't want/need the IR, check out the 32mm....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Upon stopping and breathing for a few minutes it occurred to me that perhaps the reason I find this issue such a "hot button" topic is that I have been totally bullsh!t by at least two scope "manufacturers" in the past. Both make some very good scopes, both also make some pure garbage. Both also tend to exaggerate their capabilities and method of doing business. When I know the same thing is occurring again with someone else- it aggravates the crap outta me. My point about not buying into marketing or salesman BS still stands, however, if anyone wants to sell scopes- test the units yourself and verify things before just taking the "manufacturers" word for it- you could end up with a whole lot of egg on your face at some point- I know I have by doing exactly the same thing- assuming that because Scope 'A' is great, Scope 'B' from the same manufacturer must also be great. Abosolutely, positively not true, period.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:37 am Reply with quote
DavidS
Banned
AirGunEric wrote:
DavidS wrote:
Leapers is a very good manufacturer of scopes

OK- I have to say it- until you own at least one Leapers scope- stop "reporting" what Leapers has sold you on.

Just as an 'FYI' Leapers manufactures nothing. The same factory complex in China manufactures scopes for at least 3 other brands (and likely a couple no-name, buy from Hong Kong-type vendors). Hearsay, when stated as one's own opinion without qualification is misleading to everyone.

I'm not suggesting that Leapers makes all junk or such- but all these claims of "testing" and "manufacture" are marketing BS. Go visit their "factory" in Michigan and then tell us how their manufacturing and testing really is. A storage warehouse, packaging area and an office with one shooting range lane does not a "factory" or detailed test facility make.

As you had mentioned elsewhere- you are exploring the idea of selling their line of product- that's fine and good luck- but the world doesn't need another "salesman" repeating bullsh!t heard from a "manufacturer" that doesn't actually manufacture anything. Do the research, test the product yourself- but do not repeat crap the sales staff at the supplier tells you- you won't be doing yourself or anyone other than the manufacturer any favors.

Ok Eric, lets get down to brass tacks, shall we?
You chide me for making what you claim are unfounded statements by
relying on the info from the manfacturer and then passing it on as hearsay, as you put it, which, according to you I can't substantiate.

That's not intirely true as others have and in talking to Bullethole I never stated he should look too much out of the 3-9 area. I suggest the 3-12 x44 which isn't that far off.

Also between Tom Gayloard's test of the 3-9 x40 Leapers on a Beeman Kodiak Air Rifle with 750 rounds being shot with it's severe recoil testing and that of Joe McDaniel shooting the Rigby .416 Scope killer with 350 rounds both the former scope as well a 3-9 x50mm, in both cases the scopes withstood the extreme shock these rifles generated and both of those scopes passed with flying colors.

So where's all the substantiation to back-up all the claims your making which seems like hearsay to me without it.

The two individuals above did test out the two Leapers scopes which proved them to be very solid scopes. Also just because another scope of the same type hasn't been tested out doesn't necessarily mean it any less stable either.

I'd like nothing better than to report first hand what my personal testing of the 4-16 x56mm with the illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle and SWAT [Focusing] proved out to be using my Benjamin which does have a considerable jolt to it, but I don't have the scope yet but very probably soon.

Oh, about your initial statement about my not owing a Leapers scope and because I don't don't make statements about them. Well others on the forum do own them and they are very happy with them as I expect I will be too. So just where are you coming from to make a statement like that??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Here's your "brass tacks":

We're all about the facts around here.

As you have no first-hand experience on the product, and are not stating "reviews look good, but I have no first-hand knowledge" you are inappropriately promoting a product. State your own opinion based on your own first-hand observations and all would be fine- just repeating things you heard elsewhere and claiming they are your own experiences is not cool- it is misleading and frankly, dishonest- and we don't need to tolerate it (and won't).

And as for where I'm "coming from"- its my job (as well as others) to maintain the integrity of the forum- not let it become less honest and thus less useful by allowing excess "posing" from people.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:52 pm Reply with quote
bullethole
Thanks everybody for the suggestions,bushnell is not the way to go when it comes to a springer,so Ill try a leapers,as long as it will withstand my springer and get me over a 4x32 it will be a winner! Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
DavidS
Banned
rsterne wrote:
The 4-16 x 56 is a big, heavy scope.... It weighs 25.8 oz. without the sidewheel and will require high rings.... IMO, 16X is higher than you will likely be able to use on a springer.... but to each his own....

I actually put the 3-9 x 32AO on my B-26 and I'm delighted with it.... It's lighter than the 3-9 x 40 AO I suggested as well, but doesn't have the Illuminated Reticle.... If you don't want/need the IR, check out the 32mm....

Bob

Hi Bob and thanks,

Yes I'm aware of all that you brought up but there is a method to my madness!
First off I like the larger 56mm front objective as it does let in a considerable amount more light than a 40mm especially and a bit more than a 50mm and as my other scope was also a 56mm FO and I also have an ARD [Anti Reflection Device] to fit it which is a very useful piece of equipment. It not only allows you to sight on a target that is at just a slight angle, about 12* to either side of looking at the Sun, generally early morning hours when the Sun is low on the Horizon or in the evening when again it low on the Horizon before it sets. It's also part of my standard gear for my actual sniper rifle too as it kills the reflection off the front lens which is a signature you don't want especially in battle, not applicable here, but it also is confusing to wild life when focusing on them as they can't tell what's going on with no signature of the front lens. I've already had one bird using my former scope look very inquisitively at me as I was sighting on it. I had the Black ARD cross grid painted a Rust color which again detracts from an unnatural appearance

The weight is a bit of an issue but the larger scopes. due to the size of the glass do weigh more, that's true enough. The side wheel, although I don't have it yet either, I'm sure is made of molded plastic which is only logical to keep the weight down and probably doesn't weigh much.

As far as the illuminated reticle it does have it's advantages when trying to sight on a target in a dark shadow area where the black cross hairs loose their sighting ability, especially if on the newer Leapers scopes the etched reticle lines are fairly fine? I've used it on various occasions in the past and it also a valuable tool when needed so why not it available to use?

I also want to see what the 4-16 x56 is like as a possible replacement for my 3-25 x56 should that go bad on me as well as test it out on the Benjamin NP. The Counter Sniper scope has one of the most useful and finest etched reticle, IMHO, of just about any scope I've seen sans Night Force as the only real compareson.

I will admit, the Leapers 3-12 x50mm EZ Tap with SWAT [Focusing] is very temping fore sure also and I believe it offers a choice of 36 different color variations of Mil-Dot illumination which can also have it's advantages. I just may take a more serious look at it too!

Thanks again Bob,

David

Current scope is deadly accurate and works great!!!.....but 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics