Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Antique, Collector and Novelty Airguns » Hy-Score
Hy-Score 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
tim253
I have had this pistol for about 6 years now and know nothing about it realy apart from its a Hy-Score pistol. if anybody has anymore information i would be gratefull to hear, also if anyone has any ideas of what it is worth. Thank You

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Any other identifying markings?

Is the muzzle end of the tube threaded internally?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know there is some info in the Blue Book. Once you post any markings that will narrow it down abd I will be able to dig out the specifics.

In general, the Hy Score pistols are well regarded. They made several variations and imported many others. They made 177 smooth bores and rifled bores, 22 cal rifled bores and a swithc barrel version with all three. They also made it in both single shot and repeating, but I've never seen a repeater. The uniqe design allowed a long barrel with the powerplant wrapped around it, which made for a fairly powerful pellet gun compared to it's size.

Anyway, we'll know more when we can narrow the search.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
tim253
Firstly thank you for the replies.
The only identifying marks on the gun are the hyscore logo on the grip either side and a floral design on the left side of the gun above the trigger. I have dismantled the gun and found no serial number.
and yes the muzzle is threaded at the end and it is a 177 single shooter.
thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OK, this is what I've found. Your gun looks most like a new (relatively speaking) Hy-Score Sporter. While Hy-Score is an old mark going back to the 1940's , this apears to be new stuff I was unaware of until this thread brought me to looking it up.

In the 7th edition of the "Blue Book of Airguns" on page 327 this item apears to be listed and pictured. It says this model was made for Hy-Score by Phoenix Arms Co, England from 1989 to 1994 and as a repeater from 1991. It's threaded for a moderator and was available with a fake moderator (presumably the fake was for US sales, though I've never seen one here) The values are listed as being from alow of $125 to a high of $350. That is almost pointless since the values are given based on US market value and are out of date, but that's what it says so I'm passing it on. Value being dependant on condition, presence of box, papers and accessories. All the usual factors.

I'll guess that this is a much more common item in Brittain than it is in the USA. I say that both because it's made there and because it's set up in a way that makes it more atractive to the UK market. Few airguns here come with threaded muzzles because of the high tax and regulation on suppressors but I hear you can't swing a dead cat there without tipping over a pile of muzzle silencers.

Neat item. Thanks for drawing my attention to it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:28 am Reply with quote
tim253
Thank you. You have been very helpfull.
I i shall take it to my local airgun trader at dolphin discounts and see if he could put a value on it in its current condition.

Is there anyone who could tell me how rare hyscore rifles are and where i might be able to get hold of one?
Thank you again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:15 am Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They made and imported a number of different ones over the years. Some more scarce than others. You can usually find some on gunbroker.com
Hy-Score 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Antique, Collector and Novelty Airguns