Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » Equipment and 'gear' specific to hunting activity: Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
domer_pyle
usually a small padded pouch for carrying pellets or bullets, keeps em from making noise or your pellets getting dented up out in the field. especially if you're hunting and have to make your way through some thick areas. easier than shuffling through a pocket to get em too

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
donwalk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
depends on what I'm hunting for and with...

low light and fairly close, 35 yds or less...red dot

longer distances, more than 35 yds...scope

more than 50 yds...scoped powder burner

some times i opt for open sights...(closer distances)

IMO, lasers are best for defensory/offensive weaponry for CQB. i know some use them successfully to hunt with but it seems they'd be very difficult to know hold over/under without extensive training/use.

in the end...use what you like and use best or any combination that suits you best and renders the accuracy you seek.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
HotFudge
When I go after squirrels, I just bring my CFX with a 4 mag Leapers scope, a phone, pocket knife, belt knife, about 40-50 pellets, and a bag to carry the tree rats in if I actually plan on harvesting them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
viper2788
for you scope users, should i invest in a range finder?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
shawnhu
yourdaddyjoe wrote:
GUNS & AMMO!

And all the garb that goes with them... Tools & Extra Parts

Is that an WGP autococker in that picture?
A good, cheap hunting knife 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lotta talk about what optic you use, but not so much about what knife. You'll need a good knife if you're going to process your kill in the field (as I do). I went on the search for a good knife, but refuse to spend a ton of money on it. I bought a Coleman knife from Walmart for 10 bucks, and it's great. It's got a stainless steel, full tang blade, that takes and holds an edge quite well. All in all, a really good knife for the money. It is, however, a bit large in the blade for fine work, like squirrel.
That's when I found out about the Mora company. They are a Swedish knife making company. The knife I bought is the Mora Companion. It's a high carbon steel blade with what's called a Scandinavian grind on the edge. This produces a razor-sharp, single angle edge. The blade is smaller and narrower than the blade on the Coleman, and makes for an easier time when peeling and gutting squirrels. It comes with a sturdy plastic sheath that holds the knife securely, and it has a quick-clip for hanging on your belt. The handle is comfortable and shaped well, and it's easy to maintain a good grip on it, even when wet. And what did this piece of equipment cost? About 15 bucks on Amazon. I liked it so much, I bought another "General purpose" knife with a slightly longer blade for other duties (costing 18 bucks).
The trade off is that these are slightly higher maintenance knives than one made of stainless. Being high carbon steel, they are easier to sharpen, but are prone to corrosion (rust). I put a "patina" on my GP knife using vinegar, and I always oil the blades with olive oil after cleaning them (don't use petroleum oils if you ever want to cut meat..ick!). The patina makes the knife more resistant to corrosion, but it still requires oiling. Also, the Scandinavian grind requires a bit more care when sharpening, as it is a single angle edge. With a bit of care (and very fine stones/leather strop), you get a really sharp edge easily, every time. The carbon steel is a bit more delicate than stainless, but with either metal I try not to "drag" the edge over bone, thereby preserving the keen-ness of the edge.

The WalMart Coleman

The Mora Companion

The Mora Multi-Purpose knife, note the black blade. That's the vinegar patina.

All three for size comparison

All three sheathed

The Moras have a very nice plastic sheath. The Companion has a great integrated belt clip, the Multi-Purpose has a disappointing raw-hide belt loop.

The Skandi single angle grind. The bevel IS the angle of the edge.

For comparison, the Coleman edge. You have the bevel, then at least two more angles on the edge to achieve a keen, sharp edge.

Last edited by Mentolio on Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Mike Lanum
Banned
Nice write up on knives to carry Mentolio. I carry two schrade knives with me at all times. One is a two blade stockman pocket knife, the other is an old timer liner lock with 3.5" blade. Its just the right size for gutting a deer.
I was also wanting to know if anyone knew of a decent, compact light I could mount on my marauder. I do animal control and need a decent little light I can use for roosting pigeons or spotting rats. I have a cheap crosman light mounted on a picitinny rail for now, but need something a little more substantial.

Equipment and 'gear' specific to hunting activity: 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting