Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition » 953 v 853
953 v 853 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
John Bark
so, I was on Pyramyd Air's site to compare the 953 and the 853...and for less than $152 I can get the 953 with a Avanti rear sight and front globe sight added to the rig...and the 853 is listed at $280...

Our 4-H group in the state of IL has finally agreed to allow Shooting Sports and my son wants to be involved. Why would I spend more and get an 853 when comparing they both side by side on Pyramyd web site, looks like the 953 is a good starter rifle. Is the 853 worth the extra $130 to get?

What do you think? I'm new to air rifles and trying to make good decisions to get started into 10m target shooting with 4-H and beyond 4-H.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:16 am Reply with quote
wrecktangle
The classic NRA Junior competition rifle! Ideal for shooters 16 and up (with adult supervision) to learn to shoot in 10-meter competition. Daisy's Avanti 853 Legend has a sporter hardwood stock that's capped with a removable buttpad to allow for the included insert spacers to adjust the length of pull for the shooter's size.

Most impressive is the crowned Lothar Walther barrel. It's precision-bored for .177 match pellets, has 12 lands and grooves, and a right-hand twist. The front sight has interchangeable aperture inserts, and the rear sight is micrometer adjustable. The included sling will also help the shooter steady the rifle. The 853 Legend is so accurate that most shooters will not outgrow the rifle's potential. Although official competition rules do not allow scopes, the rifle has a dovetail scope mount in the diecast receiver in the event you want to use this rifle for shooting other targets or just for fun.

Just the right size for beginning shooters! Daisy's Powerline TargetPro 953 is sized for shooters 16 and older (adult supervision required), who are interested in sharpening their shooting skills with a precision adult air rifle. The rifle is a single-stroke pneumatic (one pump and you're ready to go!) with a cocking effort geared toward teens. It's a repeater, and the .177 pellets are fed through a 5-shot clip, making for quick follow-up shots. The rifle barrel is made of high-grade steel with 1:15 twist.

To make it easy to acquire targets, Daisy installed front and rear fiber optic sights. The matte black Monte Carlo match-style stock is made of a durable synthetic. While this is a target rifle, it can also be used for plinking and shooting spinners. It can even be used for pest elimination (small critters up to 20 yards). You can even mount a scope on the 11mm dovetails or replace the rear sight with Daisy's 5899 receiver sight for increased accuracy.

The above from Pyramyd's website.

In short you're getting a Lothar Walther barrel, which has been designed and manufactured to closer tolerances for a more accurate shooting platform. The L-W barrels are the holy grail for accurate AG's.

The 853 meets the specs of 4-H and competitive shooting rules, while the 953 may not. These rules include the FPS, trigger weight pull, and length of the AG, among other specifications.

While you can reasonably expect 1 inch groups at 10 meters with the 953, you can expect tenths of an inch groups with the 853. One tenth of an inch on a 10 meter target can mean the difference between a win and a lose.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:18 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
What he said I have had both, and the lothar walther barrel does indeed make a difference.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote
wrecktangle
I shoot my Avanti 753 (with an L-W barrel) at 50 feet, and that thing is indeed accurate as heck. At 10 meters I can't miss the bull.
I know where you can get rebuilt 853's for $85 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
NuJudge
At the Civilian Marksmanship Program stores in Anniston, Alabama and Camp Perry (Port Clinton), they are selling what they describe as rebuilt 853 rifles for $85.

Every time I visit, I look at them. They seem to have a heck of a lot of them.

They also sell new ones. The new ones they sell on their website:
http://www.thecmp.org/airrifles.htm

I can not find the used ones on their website.

CDD
Re: I know where you can get rebuilt 853's for $85 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
donec
NuJudge wrote:
At the Civilian Marksmanship Program stores in Anniston, Alabama and Camp Perry (Port Clinton), they are selling what they describe as rebuilt 853 rifles for $85.

CDD
That sounds like a heck of a good price wish they had something like that around here.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
John Bark
would you buy a rebuilt/used air rifle? or is it better to buy new?

NuJudge wrote:

CDD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
donec
John Bark wrote:
would you buy a rebuilt/used air rifle? or is it better to buy new?

NuJudge wrote:

CDD
I would think that a place like the Civilian Marksmanship Program stores would have a place to test it or a return policy if you get it home and it doesn't work. So if it looks good, seems to function at that price you can't hardly go wrong. IMO. Of course it would be good to have them describe their concept of rebuilt.
953 v 853 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition