Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo » Chrono data on a few .177 pellets
Chrono data on a few .177 pellets 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
jeager106
I am a member on another firearms board. They have no section for airgunsa but do have an "everything elase" spot. One of the fellows bought a Gamo, an impulse WalMart buy in .177 caliber. After the break in he remarked that he wasa getting dime asized groups at 25 yards, excellent trigger, lousy scope which he is going to replace with a decent airgun scope.
I was surprised about the "decent" trigger part, the accuracy didn't surprise me as my Shadow wqill also do dime sized groups at 25 with Crosman Premiers.
So natch I found myself at Wally and saw a Gamo Wisper with the horrible looking 52% quieter fat thing on the muzzle.
The scope that come with the package was poor so I replaced it wqith a spare Tasco airgun 3X12 a.o.
The trigger IS decent. Long pull on 2nd stage, a little spongy, but breaks clean and does not cause you to pull off target.
A great improvement over the older Shadow. I would rate it a "good purchase" for an inexpensive back yarder airgun and it is quiet, trigger is better, and accuracy is there. It's not an RWS but a good basic starter airgun. Chrono'd some pells from the Wisper.
Windy day. No sense in trying for the most accurate pell which turned out to be the Beeman Crowmagnum heavy at 10.3 grains giving just under an inch at 20 yards in the wind.
Crosman Premier heavy 10.5 grains extreme spread 27
Average 746 f.p.s.
Beeman Ramjet 7.2 grains no read out on these small pells.
Premier heavy at 11.5 grains which were supposed to be 10.5 grains gave e.s. of 28 f.p.s. and average of 747 f.p.s.
Crosman Wadcutter Match weighed 6.5 grains for e.s. of 7 f.p.s. average of 870 f.p.s.
Different lot of Crosman Premier weighed 10.0 grains even and gave e.s. of 4 f.p.s. and averaged 743 f.p.s.
Beeman Kodiak Match Heavy at 12.5 grains e.s. of 70 f.p.s. and average of 738 f.p.s.
That was enough to tell me alll I wanted to know and simply verified what I chrono'd long ago.
Advertized velocities are way off the real world velocities.
Accuaracy means everthing.
Windy days are not the time to shoot for tiny groups.
e.s. = extreme spread
average = mean or the average of the 5 shot groups.
Last week I was at Wally ( I got to stay out of there!) and bought a Crosman gasa piaton .22 with scope package.
Absolutely the worse p.o.s. I ever shot.
Trigger takes two men one boy and a tire tool to pull the trigger.
To break the barrel you have to hit hard with your palm on the end of the barel to break it loose enough to cock it.
That gets old quick and besides, it hurts!
I chrono'd some Premiers and got reads in the very low 600 area, like 609, 625, etc.
Pretty slow I think.
It's going to get wrapped up and taken back for a refund a.a.a.p.
I expected better from the Crosman but money is best spent on Gamo for a good starter airgun.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
dragonfly
Thanks for the info from a numbers geek.Wink

On the Gamo Wisper- is it small enough for a small woman to handle well? A friend of mine (big guy) has one, but I've never seen it. He raves about it for shooting in the back yard.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
jeager106
One thing that struck me about the Whisper was that it is lighter in weight than most airguns of this size.
Can a small female cock the thing? I can't answer that one. It's easy to cock for me but I've been around springers for years.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo