Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo » destroyer pellets Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
destroyer pellets 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
deadrats
Why are crossman destroyer pellets so cheap? Are they lousy in some way? I'm asking because at walmart i saw a number of crossman pellets all in cans of 250 and most were 3 times the price of the destroyers. Most around $6, destroyers were $2.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Walmart is obviously dumping them.

I have never heard of anyone having much luck with them, or any pellets of that style made by other companies.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
deadrats
what style do you mean? Shape? material?

EDIT: i just went to the pyramid site and started reading reviews on the destroyers. I'm confused now because the reviews so far are the most positive i have yet seen there on anything. Thats after page one, maybe the worse are yet to come, but so far extremely positive. one guy even saying "finally, a pettet that actually expands", which to me is important since killing power is my #1 concern. a quote from one review...

Quote:
i operate a pest control company that goes out to facilities and kills pigeons and large rodents. we have tried a lot of different pellets and these far outperform all els in lethality. lots of one shot kills. highly recommended pellets.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I had gotten some free with my discovery, but I could never figure out why I got free .177 pellets with a .22 rifle. lol I used them in my son's daisy, but it didn't have enough power to hunt with. I don't remember anything remarkable about them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
sureshot18
i use them in my g1 and they are way more accurate then the crosman pointed. they are the best pellet i have found for my gun so far...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
deadrats
Wow, hard to understand how opinions on something conflict so much. But i read a lot more reviews and tons of remarks about how hard they hit and how good they kill. i guess if a pro exterminator says they're the best at that it's gotta be a pretty reliable answer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Expansion would depend entirely on the velocity.... In my experience, hollow points do not expand much in a 500 fps rifle.... Now a 900 fps rifle is an entirely different story....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Bozo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The obvious answer is for you to buy a tin or two, especially since they're so cheap, and try them for yourself. Since you say
Quote:
"killing power is my #1 concern"
I assume you have a fairly high powered AG, so try them, first for accuracy (doesn't matter how much they expand, if you can't hit it, you can't kill it), then for knock down potential, whether in gelatin, soap, putty, or on some small critters. Then you'll know for sure if they're good for *you*.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:24 am Reply with quote
Doc Sharptail

They are not a bad pellet- out of a 24" Crosman bbl, they group well. Nothing earth shattering- just consistent. Like all Crosman pellets, the lead alloy is a bit on the hard side for an air gun pellet. I wouldn't expect much in the way of expansion from them, unless they are driven above 900 fps.
Accuracy wise, they seem to do best in the low 700 fps bracket- 700-720 fps. Groups start opening up markedly at 760 fps, and above...

Personally, I think they are a bit on the light side for hunting- but that's just me. They act a bit like a wad-cutter- I.E. : groups start opening up considerably beyond 20 yds.

So, if you want to hunt with them, keeping shots within 20 yds is a good idea. They'd probably do well on soft skinned game at that range. My P-17 likes them, so they see a lot of low velocity plinking. I can't really recommend them as an all-purpose hunting pellet- there's much better choices out there...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:29 am Reply with quote
1377x
the destroyers from walmart are called destroyer ex
i bought a tin of destroyer ex then read somewhere the ex is different from the regular ones lighter smaller point some other thing
so far mixed reviews
i can say at 10m and 620fps mv they really open up in water soaked wood at least didnt try groups yet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
coletrain
I am using them in my AM77. They will go through a squirrel. I doubt they expand any more than other pellets esp at my 755 max fps. I say hunt with them. But there are better pellets out there. They are cheap so why not use them for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:38 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
From the sound of them hitting a piece of sheet metal at about 50 yards (old street sign recovered from scrap pile) they appear to hit with authority but don't dent the metal or even take off paint. At the same distance my .22 Trail XL with Premiers will put quite a dent in the metal and leave a little bare spot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Quote:
don't dent the metal or even take off paint

From the same gun?.... If so. that gives a pretty good idea of their Ballistics Coefficient.... significantly poorer than Premiers.... like maybe half?....

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
Sorry, forgot to clarify. Destroyers fired from a Quest 1000, Premiers from the Trail XL 1100. Today is going to be kinda busy but I'll shoot some .177 Premiers for a better comparison when I get the chance

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
bugeye bob
I recently purchased the crosman 1077 ( great pellet rifle) and after shooting up some of the more expensive .177 I went to wally world and bought the destroyers for $2. a can for 250, they are great for target and plinkering. I picked up some lightweight phone books today to see how far they penatrate.
destroyer pellets 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo