Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo » destroyer pellets Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I have a few tins of Gamo exspanders...same design as the destroyers
only good for 10m/sub 650fps..I think they have very simular flight
carateristics as wadecutters....

Pete

Hatsan mod 99 .177 (Quattro & SAS)
Kral underlever .177

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
bugeye bob
From 50 feet and using a new c02 in my Crosman 1077 the Crosman destroyer went through the phonebook about a 1/2 inch thick, I also tried the Crosman hunting pellet and it seem to only penatrate 1/2 way and seemed to roll. The Gamo rocket and raptor sliced through and embedded into my wood shed, think these would be my choice for hunting but I do like the destroyers for practice because of the price.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
Gamo Rockets are some serious stuff if they are accurate out of your gun. Crazy penetration capabilities, but that's mostly because they barely expand, if at all. Even zipping near the 800 fps mark into water filled milk jugs the bb stays in the tip.

Like I said the Destroyers have their place just like any other pellet, just don't expect too much out of them

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
one shot
I'm grateful for this thread as these are the pellets I've been using with disappointing results and I believed it was due primarily to my air hawk but I suspect it's the pellets now. After reading up on pellet threads here to learn more about them it looks like I will have better accuracy with round pellets instead of these hollow points.

Will round pellets expand some and kill squirrels and birds quickly with my 1000fps air hawk or are they more likely to not do as much internal damage to them risking less amounts of quick lethal shots even though I would get more hits with them than the hollow points?

I don't want pests crawling or flying into my neighbors yards to die after being hit so that's why I ask.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I would agree with your conclusion that your accuracy problems are likely pellet related. No one can predict what pellets your gun is going to group well with. You simply have to do the time and the work.

My experience is that round nose pellets like JSB, which are soft, will expand a lot when fired into a putty backstop whereas harder lead pellets like Crosman premier HP, Magnum or field target are almost reusable.

Finally, and this is just my opinion, I think all the crazy claims and designs of the so called "hunting pellets" are a bunch of marketing hoey designed to stop buyers and not game. It simply does not make sense that a pellet with a non existent ballistic coefficient that only retains half or less of its energy is going to be more lethal than a pellet that retains 80% of its energy at impact. Simply put if you hit a squirrel with 15+ fpe its going to more lethal than hitting it with 5 or 6 fpe, regardless of pellet design

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Engineer
What he said

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
one shot
Good to know. Thanks for explaining.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
shawnhu
SMP wrote:
I would agree with your conclusion that your accuracy problems are likely pellet related. No one can predict what pellets your gun is going to group well with. You simply have to do the time and the work.

My experience is that round nose pellets like JSB, which are soft, will expand a lot when fired into a putty backstop whereas harder lead pellets like Crosman premier HP, Magnum or field target are almost reusable.

Finally, and this is just my opinion, I think all the crazy claims and designs of the so called "hunting pellets" are a bunch of marketing hoey designed to stop buyers and not game. It simply does not make sense that a pellet with a non existent ballistic coefficient that only retains half or less of its energy is going to be more lethal than a pellet that retains 80% of its energy at impact. Simply put if you hit a squirrel with 15+ fpe its going to more lethal than hitting it with 5 or 6 fpe, regardless of pellet design

Might be ruffling some feathers here by saying this, but I don't quite agree. I think this is only 1/2 true. Yes, the current "hunting pellet" is mostly a gimmick to catch hunters, and not game. But if you think about it, it only takes 3 fpe to take out a squirrel, why would you need 50? Here's the reason. With 3 fpe, a well placed shot to the heart, double lungs, or head will put a squirrel out. However, a badly placed shot with a 50 fpe shot will leave the squirrel injured to die elsewhere, or heal. The 50 fpe shot would most likely be a through-and-through from all that energy, and not much to stop it. It'll be very clean, like a needle going through cloth.

Now let's say we had a pellet that took that 50 fpe, and spread it across the shot area, transfering most of it's energy into the game. We all know this as mushrooming. Even a badly placed shot will send the game into shock, or death from excessive bleeding. That's where HP's come into play. But we all know that HP pellets are way different from HP pullets in rifles and handguns. They don't nearly mushroom as much as we want them to. We could use "hunting pellets", we just don't have any good ones out there right now that we can choose from.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Well I was impressed with the Destroyers' accuracy in the Vantage 1200 at 20 yards, but at 35 yards the groups scattered for me. Must be wobbling a little out there past 20. Terminal performance at short range is pretty good though. I'll use them for starlings at short range.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
shawnhu wrote:
SMP wrote:

Might be ruffling some feathers here by saying this, but I don't quite agree. I think this is only 1/2 true. Yes, the current "hunting pellet" is mostly a gimmick to catch hunters, and not game. But if you think about it, it only takes 3 fpe to take out a squirrel, why would you need 50? Here's the reason. With 3 fpe, a well placed shot to the heart, double lungs, or head will put a squirrel out. However, a badly placed shot with a 50 fpe shot will leave the squirrel injured to die elsewhere, or heal. The 50 fpe shot would most likely be a through-and-through from all that energy, and not much to stop it. It'll be very clean, like a needle going through cloth.

Now let's say we had a pellet that took that 50 fpe, and spread it across the shot area, transfering most of it's energy into the game. We all know this as mushrooming. Even a badly placed shot will send the game into shock, or death from excessive bleeding. That's where HP's come into play. But we all know that HP pellets are way different from HP pullets in rifles and handguns. They don't nearly mushroom as much as we want them to. We could use "hunting pellets", we just don't have any good ones out there right now that we can choose from.

I'm not sure I understand your point.

The poster asked if a higher BC accurate round nose pellet would still expand.

I answered yes in my experience a soft pure lead round nose pellet like the JSB will expand a lot
I further explained that in my experience they will expand more and deliver more energy to a target than the typically hard alloy hunting pellets which expand very little. Typically these hunting pellets will also have much lower BC's and lower levels of predictable accuracy.

Predictable accuracy is a measure of how accurate it is in the vast majority of guns not isolated examples

This of course is my experience based on firing pellets into putty and recording the result along with the chrono data and group spread. My data coincides with Bob Sterne"s chrono and accuracy data which is published on this forum.

However please note that my views on typical hunting pellets do not apply to Predators. These are also a soft lead pellet made by a reputable manufacturer with a high rate of expansion and a proven rate of predictable accuracy. But they are far from $4 a tin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
NZ Shooter
Suspended
Oooooh , I love a good pellet debate. I won't be chiming in on this pellet, as I've never used Destroyers. However, as one poster mentioned (kind of) there are isolated instances of a particular pellet being much better than most people agree with. And in saying that, a pellet "review" is only as good as the data/results that that particular person achieved - with their rifle, and their particular expectations in mind.
So basically, I'm trying to say that if a pellet works well in your gun(s), go for them , no matter what any "review" may read. Also, too, how will you know if any specific pellet agrees with your rifle? Easy... go out and try a tin. I'm not knocking reviews-in-general by any means, as I usually go online to check out what I'm thinking of buying has any known flaws/faults - whether that be a car, stereo, microwave or whatever
.But I do feel airgun pellets must be tried from
your own rifle before drawing a conclusion on them.
Thanks for listening to my rambling Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Hehehehe Don't mind me. Just my personal crusade to get the pellet world to clean up its act

If we as a consumer group are less fooled by great advertising then people would buy less Flaming Hairballs, BlueFarts< and Fizzling Whizzbangs. Then retailers would devote more shelf space to better quality products and manufacturers would in turn respond by offering better quality products.

Then we would have a wider variety of better quality ammo to send whistling downrange Mr. Green

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Big Ern
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My M417 loves the Destroyers out to 20 yards. I tried the CPHPs and the Destroyers. The Destroyers were best in my rifle. For the price, I'm sticking with them for now. Going to try them in the 1377 next.

Ernesto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I got a free tin of .177 destroyers when I got my Disco. Of course I got the .22 version of the rifle. Those are still lying around here somewhere, I just have to find them to try them out in one of my .177 guns. I lose more things in this little tiny 1000 square foot house than I ever did in my old 2000 sq ft brownstone house. THe thing is I never find them again here when I would eventually find them in m old house.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
rug38
i use them in my phantom 1000 and have no problem scattering feathers at 30yrds the only problem is at 30yrds no exit wound 35yrds or more i dont use them then i use the premeirs but not as realable to kill quick still though and though no signifcant damage we need a long range killer any possabiltys
destroyer pellets 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo