Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo » 8-pellet magazine Speed Loader
8-pellet magazine Speed Loader 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
K1Starr
Now that the Diabolo speed loader for the 8-shot magazines is no longer available, I wondered if anyone has located or created a suitable alternative. I noticed the 2007 forum topic in which a member described a carrier for these magazines, and that design actually looked like an excellent start toward a speed loader. But, of coarse, the speed loader would have much more demanding requirements for tolerance, position, and multiple functions. I fear the task is beyond me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Welcome to AirGunHome K1

Is this something like you are looking for?

Al

speedloader 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
K1Starr
Well, you're up late. I was hoping that you might take an interest, but didn't anticipate that you had already solved the problem. I'd very much like to build one like yours. I've never seen black magazines, though. Are those the same as mine? I'd guess that this doesn't work as well as it would with the extra layer with the screening holes just over the magazine holes. Are you satisfied with these? Vastly better than one at a time with fingers, I'm sure. Have you written and published your design somewhere that I could go to download? And, just curious about the picture you use on this site, are you an ex navy gunner? Or a designer? None of my business of course.
Thanks,
Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Hi Jerry

I made this loader for my Rohm pistol and it works perfectly every time, you do have to press the pellets flush with the magazine before you use them, but it only takes a second or two.
I also made one for a Umarex CP88 magazines which works just as well, plus a 60 hole tray for target shooting.
The magazine loaders are made from plastic pellet “tins” and the holder from wood.

In answer to your other questions I’m a retired engineer who worked on naval guns amongst other things many years ago, I live in the UK but the picture is of the USS Wisconsin.

All my designs are published on the AirGunHome forum , and you can use then freely, for the more involved items I will supply drawing etc.

Hope this helps.

Al

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
donec
That looks great Al, but I'm not sure how it works. I figure you just pour some pellets into the case while the magazines are in it with the wood part to keep every thing in place and just shake the whole thing until the pellets slide into the proper holes. What I don't understand is what makes the pellets fall into the holes and what keeps the pellets from going in the wrong way?
How does it work? 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
K1Starr
Donec -
I can help with that, if Al doesn't mind. The same reason the the pellet doesn't turn end-for-end in flight: the tail almost always follows the heavier end. The tail has more surface area and consequent frictional drag, plus less mass than the tip. The tail drags behind in the air and on the loader, and the tail is often greater in diameter so it is more likely to hang up at the opening, versus falling in. When the tip gets near the edge of the opening into the magazine, it nearly always (with shaking) falls over the edge, thereby orienting itself correctly, then drops straight down into place with the tail following neatly behind. Al might have a better explanation, because he's clearly spent some time thinking about this and designing solutions. But I hope that helped.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
donec wrote:
That looks great Al, but I'm not sure how it works. I figure you just pour some pellets into the case while the magazines are in it with the wood part to keep every thing in place and just shake the whole thing until the pellets slide into the proper holes. What I don't understand is what makes the pellets fall into the holes and what keeps the pellets from going in the wrong way?

K1Starr is right the heavy end goes in first, just like a shuttle cock, the hole size is important big enough to let the head of the pellet in but not the tail.

It takes around 5-10 secomds to load three magazines and saves a lot of time.

This is one I made for bench shooting a piece of alumimium plate with 60 holes in it.

When you place the plate with the pellets on the base of the box it pushes the pellet tails up for easy removal.

This is ideal for bench shooting you can keep tabs on how many pellets you use, and with Co2 it gives you a good idea when the Gas is about to run out.

Al

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
donec
Thanks K1Starr and Al. My mind kind of thought it was something like that but really just couldn't believe it could be so simple. Now I just need to make one for my Crosman 3576 revolver. My wife will be jealous because one like that will not work for her Beretta PX4 since the pellet holders are part of the magazine. Rolling Eyes
8-pellet magazine Speed Loader 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo