 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | Arcade Shooting Gallery |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:36 pm |
|
|
| ChrisMohrSr |
| New Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 09 Feb 2011 |
| Posts: 3 |
| Location: Homeland, CA |
|
|
 |
I came across a 1953 article published in the now defunct magazine, Mechanix Illustrated. It contained plans for an Air Rifle Shooting Gallery with moving targets and appeared to be fairly simple to construct. It employed a motor and some metal braces from an Erector set. This is something that I should think would be very popular amongst BB and pellet gun enthusiasts because soda cans and paper targets can get quite boring. And it immediately appealed to me since I have a Beretta 92FS pellet gun and don't use it too much anymore because soda cans and paper targets did get quite boring.
Although simple to construct, you have to cut the targets out of sheet metal and make parts for which I do not have the tools. My first thought was that a present day version of this must be in demand and that I would have no trouble finding such a thing in kit form. Why, something like that should sell like the proverbial hotcakes. Finally, being able to shoot at moving, arcade like targets in lieu of boring soda cans and paper targets must be somewhat exciting. I could not have been more wrong. I have quite throughly searched the Internet and was astounded to learn that no such thing exists, as far as I can determine, in the present day. Apparently, most people are quite unimaginative and are perfectly content to shoot at soda cans and paper targets. Tiz a puzzelment!
I am writing this in the hope that someone out there in pellet gun land has the creativity and intelligence to see the possibilities of an Arcade Shooting Gallery. The one described in Mechanix Illustrated was quite ingenious, but I'm sure it could be improved upon and turned into a really big seller. Go to http://blog.modern mechanix.com/.../build-an-air-rifle-shooting-gallery/
Then, tell me what you think.
Christopher R. Mohr Sr. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:19 pm |
|
|
| yourdaddyjoe |
| Supporting Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 26 May 2008 |
| Posts: 4027 |
| Location: Tatorville, USA |
|
|
 |
That looks like fun for a Red Ryder bb gun...
My PCPs would distroy it... |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:14 am |
|
|
| Alstone |
| Moderator & Site Supporter |

 |
 |
| Joined: 01 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 4139 |
| Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND |
|
|
 |
You can buy something like that in the UK, it's made for centre fire weapons but I have seen it demonstrated with air rifles and it works very well.
BTW welcome to AirGunHome.
Al
 |
|
_________________
 |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:58 am |
|
|
| ChrisMohrSr |
| New Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 09 Feb 2011 |
| Posts: 3 |
| Location: Homeland, CA |
|
|
 |
Thanks for the welcome Al.
I really would like to build something as illustrated in that article. I guess that will have to be the answer. I will have to try and make that and then try to elaborate on the design a bit.
I am so surprised that there is not more interest in something like that. If I had a basement or even a garage, I think I might attempt something like that on a larger scale.
Anyway thank you for your interest.
Chris |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:37 am |
|
|
| oddtodd |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 30 Dec 2008 |
| Posts: 2029 |
| Location: Richmond, IN USA |
|
|
 |
| I looked at the article and I know I can build something like this. I used to be a maintenance engineer in a glass factory. I would make one change though. 24 ga sheet metal is way too thin for a modern pellet gun. I would change it to at least 12 gauge if not 8 gauge. 24 is paper. Not only that, but canvas isn't going to come close to stopping a pellet. THis rig is a toy for a red ryder or something similar. I think I may come up with something similar but updated. |
|
_________________ Airguns: Two starlings talking "Larry, did you hear that? Larry?? LARRY!!!!" |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:50 am |
|
|
| ChrisMohrSr |
| New Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 09 Feb 2011 |
| Posts: 3 |
| Location: Homeland, CA |
|
|
 |
| Thanks for the interest oddtodd. I hadn't thought about it, but you're right. That design wouldn't work for today's pellet gun. I think if an updated version of this could be developed there might be at least one company interested enough to manufacture and sell it. And I do believe it would sell. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | target shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:45 am |
|
|
| rlg54 |
| New Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 23 Mar 2011 |
| Posts: 1 |
|
|
|
 |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.
|