Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics » New Scope & Bipod
New Scope & Bipod 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Bought another new scope yesterday a Hawke 3-9x40 OA, the last one I had had a fixed poi of 50 yds so was not suitable for my back garden, this one has parallax correction so the poi can be set up for 20m which suits me fine.

Mind you it cost me 130 Co2 capsuls and nearly 4000 pellets to find out it wasn't suitable, but there you go live and learn.

Anyway the new scope seems to be allright and zeros at 20m OK. I have made a Bipod and a new bench rest for the target shooting, and some bugger decides it should be Off-hand shots, so sod it I'm going to use my pistol. Evil or Very Mad

New Scope & Bipod

Insert in Stock

Bipod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Lookin' good there, Al.

Did you make that bipod yourself? Very sleek in any event- not all the "crap" you see on alot of other common bipods.

And a quick question- what is that threaded shaft you put inside the brass nut for the bipod to attach to the gun? Can this be bought off the shelf at a hardware store- or was it something you cut yourself?

If we get a good number of people in the shooting competition- maybe the next one we can set-up to be able to use optics!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
You never cease to amaze me Al!!

Do you plan to make to other part of the legs retractable as well?, Or are they already (I can't really See anything that allows for movement near the pivots, It looks double bolted!).

I'm liking the way you attached the Bi-pod to the Rifle Al! I may have to borrow that method from you one day!

Also what are you planning to do with your old scope?

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
It's getting better Eric, the Bipod I made myself it's all aluminium with telescopic legs, it is none foldable as I only use it in the garden.

The insert I also made, it has a 1/4 whit (camera thread) up the middle and a 1/8 BSP or 1/8 gas thread on the outside with a small flange on one end, the idea is that I can screw a still or video Camera on to the front of the gun, it will be upside down but that does not matter, also I can fit Slings & Swivels and of cause a Bipod.

Al

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Hi Stevie
No I don't intend making the Bipod foldable, not at the moment anyway, but your right it is double bolted.

As for the old scope I put it in the sales forum and sold it, I left it on this forum for a couple of days in case anybody here was intrested then put it on Airgunbbs late last night it went within half an hour, don't tell me now that you would have been intrested.

Al

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Errr...

...Oops!!!

I must have overlooked it when I got back from Holiday, I've defiantly been properly struck down by this "Attention Virus"!!!

Otherwise (I'm biting my tongue whist typing this) YEP! I would have been very interested in it! Boozing It Boozing It Boozing It

Hands over my face now! SORRY!!! Apology

I'm not sure how long it will take for this feeling of complete and utter stupidity to wear off! Embarassed

Stevie Thumb Down! v2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:27 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Stevie I did think about you but didn't want to push it, I assumed you would see the add, next time I have anything I'll PM you.

Al

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
OK that's probably a good Idea! lol

This stupidity feeling still hasn't gone away though!

Anyways back to the subject!

Have you been doing a bit more work on the Barrel band? It looks like its been polished back to it's original finish!?!

Also the stock is looking very nice in the pic!!!, Have you been doing some extra polishing with it or has it just stayed like it since the first time you polished it?

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Hi Stevie
The chemical black on the barrel band keeps getting scratched so I buffed it off, it looks Better anyway.

I've put about 4000 pellets through and used 130 Co2 Capsuls in the QB since I got it so I think it gets polished with use, thats why I didn't buy a .22 the running costs are to high, I get about 65 total shots out of the QB of which 50-55 are quality.

Buy the way how many shots do you get out of your .22 ?.

Another thing I tried this week is an adjustable power screw on the back of the QB, the same as Gunrunner has on his.

See,
http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=510

It was designed for pcp and I thought it would probably work with Co2, it did work but not to great effect, when you turned the power up that was OK but when you turned it down past the normal position it did not have much effect, also it would not pierce the second Capsul, other problems with it were, very hard to cock the gun and once cocked the bolt was free to float about, I did put a small spring behind it but it still was not satisfactory so I put every thing back to normal for now, I think the easy way to change the power is to change the hammer spring, but this still has to be strong enough to pierce the bottom Capsul.

One last thing, what as happened to your "Avatar" it just says Deleted.

Al

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi Al

I think when I get round to making my Barrel band I will use BMS or just Medium steel, So I can do a Hot blue job on it! As I am using my QB78 for hunting and pest control so I don't want to have the most ''blinging'' rifle or I'll stick out like a sore thumb! I'm still tempted to make a Stainless bolt handle though!

You sure do shoot a lot of pellets!! with the amount your putting out you will really seriously have to consider the running costs for it very highly!

As for How many shots I can get out of a .22 QB78, I think I mentioned this to you a few weeks back! (That virus is showing signs of creeping back on you now, Spelling as well lol)

StevieLaner7777 wrote:
...My QB78 .22 will get about 60 full power shots average on a Hot day, Though I have been able to get 70 full power shots with it before (last Saturday was very hot), I think when it gets cold it will go down to around 50 full power shots in the winter, probably less.

Thinking this through a bit more, I think back then being just after that Hot Saturday where my QB78 performed exceptionally well it the weather I may have exaggerated a bit, So On a warm day I can get about 55-60 decent shots out of a double charge of 12gms, Though on a blisteringly Hot day I've been known to get up to 70 decently powered shots!! (I'm not exaggerating here!). Though keeping a constant time between each shot that is thus not having the valve lock up on me. And I'm not sure how the weather in the Winter months will affect the performance of the Rifle, I'm thinking 30-45 shots in the colder weather.

Thanks for the link! Though I have been keeping up to date with the 'regular' threads, I must have just been in such a hurry to read through every thing after coming back from holiday I subconsciously decided to just 'flick through' the 'For safe' threads as I don't often buy or sell much - Obviously a big mistake!!! Rolling Eyes

Shame your Power adjuster didn't go to plan! also, If you plan to lighten the Hammer spring down a bit, You might want to add a slightly lighter Valve spring in there or else you'd be effectively detuning you Rifle!! Wink

And lastly the Avatar thingy, Haha! lol! I was waiting for someone to bring that subject up, Well for quite awhile now I've been meaning to change my Avatar to something more to do with the forum, So I was looking around for something that is most likely no one would have or even consider, I like to be different! and it's a bit offencive when you steel an individuals avatars from different websites and/or forums, So I was browsing my way through I think it was either Bebo.com or Myspace.com (I can't remember now lol!) when I came across a users account that had recently been deleted, There was nothing but an Avatar that was put there to inform anyone visiting that the member had been deleted and was pending complete erasure by one of the Admins/Moderators. so nothing but an Avatar really! I'd been looking around for quite a few hours earlier that day, So I still sort of had my eye out for anything, Being an image of exactly the size I was looking for I was tempted to try it out So I saved it and PMed Eric asking whether actually changing my Avatar was such a good idea now that people might have gotten used to my old one!, after being given the green lights from Eric I replied showing Eric what Avatar that I was thinking of using with some sort of warped explanation to why I was using that particular Image as my new avatar resulting in completely confusing Eric as to why I chose that particular Image. Anyways I decided to just post the image up and see what happens!!

Oops! that wasn't supposed to be that long! You ask a simple question a line long and I reply with a life-story! Sorry!!

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
I did figure out eventually what you were getting at with the Avatar- but maybe Al has a good point- people might think you've been 'deleted'! That's ok- gives them a reason to ask questions, right?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Yep that's pretty much it!

I'll get back to this tomorrow though, As it's 4am over here now! and I got to be up for college at 7am (Welding excellent!) so off I go for awhile!

Eric - same applies to the PM you sent me earlier!

Stevie Thumb Up!

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics