Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Why no brakes for the 39x guns?
Why no brakes for the 39x guns? 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
It would have to mounted fairly unconventionally but it could definitely be done. I'm in the process of fabricating one now, I run laser cutters and tube laser cutters for work these days and I'm leaning towards a design that looks like a tube cut in half the long way, slotted for the front sight, and an uncut section of tube extending a few inches past the muzzle. There's a bit more to it but that's what's set in stone so far. Any input is appreciated, constructive criticism as well. My end goal is to be able to mount a TKO so I can remove the grackles from the yard without cluing in the neighbors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
For whatever reason, people seem to leave the Benjamin 39x's the way they are- I assume because they are decent pumpers as-is, and to even mount a scope a set of intermounts or specialized mount is required.

No specific tips to add, but good luck and post some pictures when you're done!

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
I've got the mount with the picatinny rail because I could tell the gun was more accurate than myself with the peep sight, and it's that accuracy that has made this my number one contender for backyard work. Just gotta tone down the noise living in town and all but my lady tells me it's not too loud outside shooting through 7" of opened window. I think I may opt to take off the front sight seeing as it will never get used, and to simplify the design for the brake/shroud. Less cuts the better. I'll definitely share some pictures once it's up and rolling, everyone I know will be sick of hearing about how cool my "kids toy" is, haha.

But really though, if anyone knows the best way to get that sight off without using a grinder or a wheel cutter I'd love to hear it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Open your window as wide as you can, and shoot from inside. You can shoot a 30-30 that way and the neighbors will never know what they heard. (Make sure you wear ear plugs if you include powder in this endeavor, and remember what my dad told me, and his dad told him, and possibly his before that: DON'T SHOOT THE ****ED WALL)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
And you may not have realized it, but you definitely meant starlings, not grackles.

I don't know what you're actually shooting, but I'm SURE you meant to SAY starling.

Grackles are considered songbirds where I live

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
domer_pyle
It's definitely audible from outside with the window open about 8" and there are shots that would be better taken resting on the sill rather than ten feet away from the window. My back yard butts up to the back yards on the other side of the block and the two on either side of me so it's like one big yard back there. Plenty of open space for sound to travel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
It's probably because that family of guns is unique in having the barrel soldered to the pump tube right up to the muzzle, so you can't simply slip something over the muzzle end of the barrel. You have to make cutouts for the pump tube and front sight, as you are finding out.

It is not legal to take grackles in Minnesota:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/livingwith_wildlife/taking.html

Hop across the St. Croix River into Wisconsin and it's O.K. (with provisions):
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/documents/nuswlguide.pdf

The point is, check your local regulations - wherever you are.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
domer_pyle
So Alchemy AirWerks offers brass and aluminum press on brake adapters for these rifles, and since I haven't gotten my front sight to budge (not trying to put much force into it) and I'm reluctant to grind it off it's probably the route I'll take to quiet this laser shooter. I asked about a non threaded version to accept a TKO and was told that could be arranged and to call and talk at my earliest convenience, so needless to say I'm getting pretty antsy about being able to poke this right out the window if I have to
Why no brakes for the 39x guns? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics