Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Small things that don't matter.
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Small things that don't matter. 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
I thought it'd be nice to have a topic on the small things about some airguns. The things that don't really matter in general, but what makes you want it just a little bit more then another airgun. I'll start with my favorite.

The two-part cocking arm.

I've found that break barrel rifles with a two-part cocking arm often provide a bit of a better hold over the single-part cocking arm. This can be easily explained, but first!

If you're new to this, I shall explain what a cocking arm is, and the visual differences between the two you are most likely to encounter:





The cocking arm is the part that transfers the energy from the barrel (or under/side lever) into the spring.

In other words, when you're cocking the rifle, and you put some of that energy into your rifle, one of the key parts helping you to get that energy INTO the rifle is the cocking arm.

A single part cocking arm needs a lot of space to move. You can see this when you look at the stock from the lower side of for instance a Diana 34. There is a "slot" (or groove, I am not sure which word is most appropriate here) where the cocking arm goes.

It's a pretty long "slot" in comparison to the one on the BSA Lightning. Now, the times I've shot with single-part cocking arm rifles, I've always found it to be a little bit awkward to hold while standing. Not much, but still. The longer the rifle, the longer the slot, and for instance with long rifles like the 350 (that also has a single-part cocking arm) I found it was downright irritating.

This brings up another question: Doesn't this make the stock weak? In theory, it would. Here's a pic of a Diana 31 (synthetic stock) that's been cocked:



Now, with a wooden version I think this "could" be a problem. I'm sure it generally won't but the idea of the front-wood being quite thin, no sir, I don't particularly like that.

Now, I will have to ask Slavia to post a pic of his Slavia 631, that comes with a two-part cocking arm to prove my point. My camera is broken. Neutral

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
Re: Small things that don't matter. 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
southpaw
Member
Member
Joined: 02 Apr 2010
Posts: 28
Location: Newberry, SC
broommaster2000 wrote:
...If you're new to this, I shall explain what a cocking arm is, and the visual differences between the two you are most likely to encounter:



I am, and I thoroughly appreciate the consideration. I was actually able to follow you and am interested to see what others have to say on this.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
The Slavia 631 has an articulated cocking arm, and a very short slot in the stock. So short, in fact, that I had plenty of room for an accessory rail.

The Gamo Young Hunter and the Crosman G1 are also articulated. While the slots are longer than on the 631, there was still room for a sling swivel stud.

On the other hand, the Crosman/Mendoza RM577 has a one-piece cocking arm, and a very long slot. Not much I could do with that one.


Last edited by Slavia on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Articulated, how could I have ever guessed! Mr. Green

Also interesting to see how CZ was doing it right with the 630/631.

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
Small things that don't matter. 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.