Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Nitro Piston
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Nitro Piston 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
donec
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 19 Dec 2009
Posts: 836
Location: central Texas Pflugerville area
Some questions.

1. Since the Nitro Piston doesn't bounce around inside of the rifle does it require the sensitive handling of a springer like using the artillery hold?

2. Also is it limited to the weight of pellet it can handle since it does not have a spring to break?

3. Can it be dry fired?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
After test-firing a couple of NPSS rifles late last year, it seems to me that while the recoil was reduced compared to a springer, they are not exactly "worlds apart".

I would treat them no differently than any other springer- some of the reasons you don't want to use too light a pellet or dry-fire a gun is not so much spring problems- but piston seal issues. Personally, I believe these two things have very little bearing on the spring and they have typically been over-stated in that context.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
donec
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 19 Dec 2009
Posts: 836
Location: central Texas Pflugerville area
Thanks for the reply. Are the seals really that different for a springer than for a single pump pneumatic? I mean you can dry fire a single pump pneumatic and don't need to hold them in any special way, but from what you said doing away with the spring with a Nitro Piston doesn't change much yet it seems from what I have read to make the Nitro Piston rifle much like a strong single pump pneumatic rifle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
The NPSS is a springer- all that has been done is replacing the wound sprung steel spring with a gas-filled cylinder. These guns still have pistons with seals in them in front of the cylinder- a single stroke pneumatic doesn't.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
donec
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 19 Dec 2009
Posts: 836
Location: central Texas Pflugerville area
AirGunEric wrote:
The NPSS is a springer- all that has been done is replacing the wound sprung steel spring with a gas-filled cylinder. These guns still have pistons with seals in them in front of the cylinder- a single stroke pneumatic doesn't.
Ah So I hadn't thought of that. So when you cock a springer or a Nitro Piston rifle you are not filling a chamber with compressed air but just pulling back a piston, so that when released the piston compresses the air in a chamber and pushes it out a valve by the release of the spring or Nitro Piston. Now some of the things I have read make more sense thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
No valve in a springer or NPSS- just the hole behind the barrel to push the air through.

The NPSS is exactly the same as any other springer with the cylinder put in place of the spring- which reduces the dual-recoil effect, makes cocking it more consistent and reduces/eliminates the 'twang' that comes off most springs. Every other part of the rifle is exactly the same. If you could get an NPSS piston that fit -whatever- springer you have, you would simply remove the regular spring and it's guides and put the NPSS unit in it's place, no other alterations. The piston, seal, chamber, port, trigger setup, everything is still the same as it would have been. The compressed gas is inside the NPSS cylinder and is only for the purpose of decompressing the cylinder/rod to push the usual piston found in any springer.

A SSP is completely different.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
packrat
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 16 Nov 2009
Posts: 882
Location: Out in the woods...Ellabell, GA.
I bought a Crosman NPSS, .22 from P.A. a few months back..had it about 2 weeks and sold it, because...it is a very BIG gun, full size I guess you'd say..over 40 inches long and over 8 lbs. with scope..I'm 62 yrs.old, 5'8" and only weigh like 130 lbs..It was simply too big for me...no fault of the gun,,just one of those things..anyway..It was easy to cock..I could handle that no problem..and was accurate (but too heavy for me to shoot off-hand standing)..and was a nice looking gun- I had the black stock. So, if you're thinking of getting one, I thought you might want to know these things Smile

_________________
HEY !! This getting old thing is NOT for sissies...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
donec
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 19 Dec 2009
Posts: 836
Location: central Texas Pflugerville area
packrat wrote:
I bought a Crosman NPSS, .22 from P.A. a few months back..had it about 2 weeks and sold it, because...it is a very BIG gun, full size I guess you'd say..over 40 inches long and over 8 lbs. with scope..I'm 62 yrs.old, 5'8" and only weigh like 130 lbs..It was simply too big for me...no fault of the gun,,just one of those things..anyway..It was easy to cock..I could handle that no problem..and was accurate (but too heavy for me to shoot off-hand standing)..and was a nice looking gun- I had the black stock. So, if you're thinking of getting one, I thought you might want to know these things Smile
I was thinking about the possibility but there is not enough difference so I'll pass for now but thanks packrat for the suggestion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Nitro Piston 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.