Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition » AirGunHome Pistol Match Rules? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
AirGunHome Pistol Match Rules? 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
I started this in a new topic so we can try to work out rules that people find acceptable.

A few questions are:

Should rifles and pistols be able to be in the same competition, or have their own divisions?

What distances should be used for individual competition targets- 5m/15ft, 10m/30ft, 15m/45ft?

Should any sort of support (bipods, sandbags or bench rests) be allowed?

How long should a competition last from when the target is posted online to when it officially 'ends' to determine the winner(s)?

I've probably forgotten at least a couple things here- so if there's anything else that needs to be addressed- please put it up here too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
I think for a start pistols and rifles should be separated, pistol targets are larger than ones for rifles.

bench rests should be allowed, and any type of bipod or sandbag also.

And 10m for pistols, 20m for rifles

I think thr rules should be as simple as possible, otherwise we will have one shooter in each class.

Al

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Yes- the simpler the better. My thinking was either pistols and rifles separated, or pistols shoot from, say 10m and rifles from 20m in the same competition with the same target. Other than that, more divisions into "open sights vs. optics" or springer vs. gas guns and such I think would end up like you say- only one person in each class.

Maybe having the same target and competition for pistols and rifles to start- but different target distances would be the way to go for the first such competition- just so everyone who wants to be is in it, no matter what they shoot.

Any really specific ideas on "rules" we should have- i.e. like everyone measures target distance from the end of their muzzle to target face with a tape measure? Target must be "x" height off the ground? Shooter should be level with the target? How many shots, and in what time period? More than one target and then they are averaged out? Etc. etc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
OK- after reading the input in the other thread, I think these "rules" will work best based on the number of people who have so far said they are interested and the like:

-10m target distance for pistols
-20m target distance for rifles (same size target as pistols)
(if people think this is still unfair to the pistoleers- what might be a better muzzle-to-target distance for rifles vs. pistols?) We can also do 5m/10m if this is more suitable for people trying to shoot indoors in the winter.
-Benchrests/sandbags/bipods are allowed- but only the forearm portion of the gun can be 'rested' on anything- the rear of the stock/grip needs to be supported by the shooter.
-Competition will be time-limited.
-Sighting in can be done before you start your timer using a copy of the target that can be thrown away- but is limited to 5 shots.
-Until more people become involved, open sights vs. scopes is irrelevant- I know at least one of my rifles shoots better with open sights- so this may not be as much of an advantage/disadvantage at short distances as we might imagine.
-All aspects of pellet selection and sizing will be the shooters choice, gun and muzzle energy used is also the shooters choice. But, if target gets ripped or otherwise badly defaced that results in shot counting confusion because of too low or too high a velocity with the wrong pellet(s) and/or the wrong backing behind the target- the shot will be counted as having 0 (zero) points.
-Entries needs to include a picture of their completed target(s), and a personal assurance they followed the rules.

As more people become involved, we will have divisions and such- but for the first couple shoots with very few people this seems counterproductive.

Did I miss anything? How about target height from the ground?

Next: What target to use, how many of them, shot count and what time limit?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
I say 'shoot whut ya brung' and shoulder height of the shooter in shooting position should be good enough. As for targets, there seem to be plenty to choose from ~ so is it going to be sil, BR, or OM competition ? ? ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
All right- Why don't we use this target:

http://www.filespacer.com/users/3n00n/target_07.pdf

It's fairly large so pistol shooters shouldn't have too many problems seeing things. 10m on pistols and 20m on rifles for distance (or should this have a larger spread?).

OK- so which sort of shooting position/method do people want to follow using this?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Would 5 shots at each bull offhand be easy enough for everyone to do? How about time constraints? Wadcutters 'cut a score' much nicer but the LGR shoots domes better for 'silhouette' type distances . . .

The 6m shoots wadcutters to 10m well enough though, so it can be scored easily.

Entries should list gun, sights & pellets used with start / finish time and weather conditions when shot outdoors. Seem fair enough?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
OK- let me outline what we've got so far:

1) This target: http://www.filespacer.com/users/3n00n/target_07.pdf
2) Off-hand shots (no artificial support)
3) 10m/32.81ft for pistols
4) 20m/65.62ft for rifles
5) Any sighting device/method/tool you like
6) 5 shots per bull (30 shots total) with 5 sighting/practice shots not on the clock using a different print-out of the target.
7) 30 minutes total (take whatever amount of time for each shot you like, but at 30 minutes-stop!)
8) Entries need to be scanned and posted. Posts must list gun, pellet, sighting device, weather conditions and stop/start times (or total time expended?)

Did I forget something? How about what dates it will start and end ('end' being the deadline for when entries must be posted)?

Seems A-Ok to me. If we can get some sort of consensus here- I can post up the "official" thread on it and we can start.

Now Jim has to go buy a gun! Mr. Green

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:43 am Reply with quote
Jim McArthur
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
AirGunEric wrote:
OK- let me outline what we've got so far:

8) Entries need to be scanned and posted. Posts must list gun, pellet, sighting device, weather conditions and stop/start times (or total time expended?)

Problem is: what about people who don't have scanners?

Now Jim has to go buy a gun! Mr. Green

Yep! Mr. Green But I just a few minutes ago entered a bid for a used Beeman P3, on Gunbroker.

Maybe Christmas will come early this year! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:45 am Reply with quote
Jim McArthur
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My question about scanners got mixed in with the original message.

See how computer-illiterate so many of us are? Mr. Green

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:04 am Reply with quote
dedpool
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
could you take a picture of it with a digital camera or camera phone? Would that be allowed?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote
Jim McArthur
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Since "no money, and little glory" is involved, and it's just a friendly way to "pass a good time", as the Cajuns say: why not honors system, if scanning's a problem?

Though it'd be nice to see e-posted targets, for those with the equipment and skill to post 'em.

Cheaters Crying or Very sad are only cheating themselves.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:43 am Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Just as long as the pellet cuts in the target are visible for score is what is important. As AirgunEric mentioned, torn targets might be scored lower so the use of paper with a lower bond value may help with that some. Can also glue targets to 'construction paper cardstock' for cleaner cuts.

My take is that any unaltered digital media that allows a target to be scored should work.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sure a picture of the target would work as well- but I'm doubting something like a cell phone camera can take a good enough picture for people to be able to see the hole properly! Most digital cameras (even older ones) would probably do ok- but from what I've seen of most cell phone images- well, they suck!

I think some sort of visual confirmation of the target should be required- people love pictures, right? Otherwise it's just a bunch of numbers printed on a page. Now maybe if someone (i.e. like one or two people out of a pile) can't get this done- and occasionally someone's scanner or camera breaks, that would be ok- but the intent is to get the images posted so people can get full effect out of it I think?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
dedpool
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
hey Jim could you scan it at the office or something? or you could probably take it to kinkos and get it scanned for like $0.25