Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories » Crosman reps says use Mobil 1 synthetic for Pellgunoil Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Crosman reps says use Mobil 1 synthetic for Pellgunoil 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Pointy Head
I called Crosman asking about a substitute for pellgunoil, and the rep I spoke with on the phone said to use Mobile 1 synthetic, or I could use sewing machine oil.

I was asking mostly about what to use on top of a CO2 cartridge, and no for general maintenance.

She said the main thing was to avoid petroleum distillates.
( I think sewing machine oil is probably a petroleum product, but is likely highly refined).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
???

The rep. is a bit confused. Why? Synthetic oil is flammable and contains petroleum distillates. "Synthetic" oil is still formed on a petroleum base.

This is not to say you can't use it on your gun, but their reasoning is not accurate- petroleum distillates are in most oils that would be used in any sort of machinery application, excluding the food industry. Pellgunoil has petroleum distillates in it.

I believe the Crosman rep. should have stated not to use oils with detergent additives in them (most oils have detergents unless they are marked as specifically not having them, and this includes synthetics). Petroleum distillates need to be kept away from high-pressure situations like PCPs and springers valves/chambers, but work just fine on Co2 guns and on non-combustible areas of PCPs and springers (hinges, triggers, etc.).

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
The MSDS for Pellgun Oil on Crosman's site says it is "Monolec GFS SAE 30 Engine Oil." The MSDS does not list the ingredients.

That product is made by Lubrication Engineers in Fort Worth, TX. Their MSDS does not list the ingredients either, calling them proprietary. They simply say that Monolec is a "wear reducing additive," and that is is made from "100% paraffinic base stock."
http://www.le-inc.com/products.jsp?productID=158

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
midnightsniper
I use good ole non detergent 30w motor oil in all my guns.I do keep it away from valves and chambers.I have been using it for nearly 20 years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Pointy Head
Slavia wrote:
The MSDS for Pellgun Oil on Crosman's site says it is "Monolec GFS SAE 30 Engine Oil." The MSDS does not list the ingredients.

That product is made by Lubrication Engineers in Fort Worth, TX. Their MSDS does not list the ingredients either, calling them proprietary. They simply say that Monolec is a "wear reducing additive," and that is is made from "100% paraffinic base stock."
http://www.le-inc.com/products.jsp?productID=158

aha!! The MSDS was actually on the Crosman site and (re)confirms SAE 30 engine oil.

http://www.crosman.com/pdf/msds/MSDS-PELLGUNOIL.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Pointy Head
Here is a written response I received from a different rep.

(and AFAIK- Pellgunoil isn't supposed to have silicone in it according to the online rumors)

"The key thing to remember about lubricatiing an airgun is to avoid anytthing that contains a petroleum distillate like WD40 or 3in1 oil. Pellgun oil is a silicone based lubricant so you must use a synthetic oil of some kind. Synthetic motor oil will work and transmission fluid is often used. Just avoid anything that contains petroleum or solvents like many gun oils or gun cleaners do.

Thank you for contacting Crosman Corporation.

Regards,

C****** "

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
midnightsniper
Well that's just even more confusing.Pellgun oil MSDS states one thing and Crosman states another.I'll stick to using what I've been using for years.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Why not grab a bottle of caster oil
from a chemist shop..

I use a caster based rubber grease on
all the O-rings in my PCPs

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Crosman is somehow overlapping itself in respect to what oil to use in what application. Avoid detergents in any oil, use something non-flammable in the chamber area of springers and in PCPs (i.e. silicone oil, which- as the MSDS makes obvious, Pellgunoil is not silicone), on a Co2 gun or mechanical parts of other guns (joints, pivot pins etc.), Pellgunoil or its equivalent, non-detergent petroleum oil is generally fine.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:34 am Reply with quote
rhytonen
kanyon wrote:
Why not grab a bottle of caster oil
from a chemist shop..

I use a caster based rubber grease on
all the O-rings in my PCPs

Pete

Two-stroke kart racers also use castor.
It's available through kart shops as "Rev Kleen" and other names.
Be sure you get pure castor.
It is combustible, but also tenacious, it's food grade - and at least it smells good when it does burn Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
rhytonen wrote:
It is combustible...

Thereby making it not only useless, but harmful in a springer or HPA application- just like any petroleum-based product.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
rhytonen
AirGunEric wrote:
rhytonen wrote:
It is combustible...

Thereby making it not only useless, but harmful in a springer or HPA application- just like any petroleum-based product.

They ALL burn.

http://garrett-engineers.com/items-of-general-interest/35-outside-articles/79-auto-fluids-that-burn

"Next tested was automatic transmission fluid. In the early 1990s General Motors experienced numerous fires in its full-sized trucks. Fires usually did not occur in normal usage, but under heavy loads, such as pulling trailers up hills, some transmissions expelled their fluid out onto hot exhaust components and caused fires. As a result, General Motors mailed new dipsticks to owners of these trucks. The new dipsticks had a plastic locking device designed to prevent the internal transmission fluid pressure from ejecting fluid up the dipstick tube and onto the right hand exhaust manifold directly below. Flammability of automatic transmission fluid was demonstrated in the tests by spraying transmission fluid onto the steel tubing, heated to approximately 1,000°F. The transmission fluid immediately flashed."

(note: This result was identical to the description of regular petroleum oil as well as synthetic oils. - RTH.)

I'd check the flash point. I bet one reason Castor is a better (2-stroke) 'mix' lubricant, with a reputation for "tenacity" as a racing lubricant, is probably a higher flash point.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Go back- re-read everything in this thread. Any petroleum-based lubes are not for use in spring or HPA guns- this is where the silicone oil comes in. All the other lubes were indicated as being safe for pumpers and Co2 guns- whether they be Pellgunoil, 30W engine oil, transmission fluid or ...

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Re: Crosman reps says use Mobil 1 synthetic for Pellgunoil 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:03 am Reply with quote
DavidS
Banned
Pointy Head wrote:
I was asking mostly about what to use on top of a CO2 cartridge, and no for general maintenance.

Hi Pointy Head,
I wanted to pass along something I learned a while back to you about Co2 cartridges, they seal around the neck and not the top surface, as I also thought too, of the cartridge. That's why the neck is tapered like it is to progressively seal tighter and better as it's pushed into the seal and then finally the top seal is punctured.

I learned this with my 1077 as whenever I would put a new cartridge in it would leak out in a few seconds. Then I noticed there was a collar that was meant to compress the sealing ring inward that was loose so I tightened it and No more leaks.

So putting anything on the end really doesn't do anything as far as sealing, that's what I was trying too with No Luck.

Last edited by DavidS on Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
DavidS
Banned
Also it would seem that any good grade of Full Synthetic motor oil, I run Full Synthetic Quaker State 5-30, should work just fine especially considering we're only using two drops in the chamber and maybe one will do?

Speaking of adding a drop or two to the chamber I was just wondering if after the oil is put in if it's a good idea to slowly turn, the unloaded gun, in all directions to get the oil distributed within the chamber?

Eric or Slavia, what do you guys think?

Crosman reps says use Mobil 1 synthetic for Pellgunoil 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories