Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » Be careful airsmithing. . . Graphic! Goto page 1, 2  Next
Be careful airsmithing. . . Graphic! 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
ustilago
So, my cousin came down for a holiday visit. I haven't seen him much in the last 20 years. When he, my other cousin our age and I got together it usually ended in a trip to the emergency room for one of us (the first time I was 3 and ended up with 7 stitches in my eyebrow as a result of a snow shoveling accident).

I installed a flat top piston and valve in his second generation 1377. I pumped twice and was rewarded with a muffled pop.

I put four pumps into the palm of my hand and realized that he had violated the first rule of safe gun storage.

The Crosman wadcutter only penetrated about an eighth of an inch. I grabbed the pellet by the skirt and pulled it out. A quick rinse in the sink, a drop of Polysporin and a Dora the Explorer bandaid were in order.

Meanwhile, my 5 year old girl says "I'm going to go tell my brother what you did!". I told her, "That's fine but don't tell your mom." So, she goes running up the stairs yelling, "___ guess what dad did! He shot himself in the hand!".

I thanked her for her discretion Rolling Eyes

So, now the wife knows, and my cousin is hanging his head because he left a pellet in the gun.
She starts giving me the gears about seeking medical treatment, getting a tetanus shot, maybe some debridement. . .
Fine, so I walk the 1 block to the hospital, get checked in, wait forever for the quack to arrive. All they did was drip some saline on it and give me a new bandaid. A tetanus shot was not required (although they did offer me one if I wanted to bring myself up to date, I declined, I have enough new holes in me for one day Laughing ).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Bloody hurts! Doesn't it ustilago. Embarassed

http://airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=1718&highlight=magic

Al. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:38 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Well ustilago....

Let me be the first to present you with not so coveted "Barney Fife Award"...

It's in the Rule Book... For now on... One pellet at a time will be issued...

Al had an exit wound...

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Here.... this should make you feal better

Flasher

Last edited by yourdaddyjoe on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
jonathan
I always treat every gun I pick up like its loaded. Thats a nice conversation peice you have there Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
DerekVinyard
Great reminder for everyone here. Assume every gun is loaded, until you prove it safe.
You realize that if that was a Crosman Destroyer DS177 you would have died. Thank goodness it was a wadcutter.

Sorry Ustilago, we all get comfortable and it's human nature to take shortcuts. Trust me I know, I'm in one of the few occupations where you can work with something all day long and then later make the mistake of touching it and die instantly.
Yours is a painful lesson, but something a smart man like yourself will never do again.
Re: Be careful airsmithing. . . Graphic! 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Dang, that's pretty much the school example of what can go wrong with those highly sophistimicated doowackees if you don't use em responsibilibly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
davee1
Man, that must have hurt....ouch!!!
Reminds me of two things that I'll never do again.
1. Never hold down something so another 10 year old boy can "put it out of its misery". This resulted in a "BB crease" to my inner wrist. I can still feel it stinging now, 40 years later.
2. Never pick up a baby rattlesnake to show the kids about the fangs. Then try to change hands and get one fang in the finger in the process. This resulted in me being blind for 5 minutes, the kids screaming: "OMG your gonna die", "how are we gonna get home", then a drive to the hospital where at 25 years old I was scolded by every single person who I came in contact with, except the nice young lady who bought my kids some ice cream while they waited in the waiting room. I'll never forget one of the nurses who said "most 25 year old men know better than to pick up a rattlesnake...what were ya thinkin? Now lets scrub out that wound so it wont get infected". The scrubbing was a hundred times worse than the bite itself, and she scrubbed with fury. That was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life...and then of course there was the call to my wife...and yes I still have all my fingers. "I'll never do that again" I said.

Yes...life's embarassing moments. The school of hard knocks. Learn by experience.

One thing is for sure. Everybody learned from your experience. I'm thinkin that it shoulda been your cousin that got that hole in his hand though. That would have been much better. Neutral Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
Crosman140
So, after the doctor removed the Dora the Explorer bandage, did he give you a Snoopy one?

.177 Crosman 1377 (2009)
.177 Daisy 880 (2019)
BB Daisy Red Ryder (2012)
BB Daisy Buck (2019)
BB Crosman 1600 (1980)
BB Marksman 1010 (1979)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
davee1
Or at least a Bullwinkle one?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Do I have to shoot my self to get a Mickey Bandaid?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
davee1
Hey...if that's what it takes to get attention from the nice Mickey givin nurses...then thats what we are gonna haf ta do. Lets both shoot ourselves in the same place on our bodies, and then show up at the same hospital, and demand our mickey or bullwinkle bandages. Laughing

On second thought...its nice and warm here in the house, I've got a nice cup of coffee, and the dogpoop is frozen outside. I'm gonna postpone for now...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
cw
Banned
I think that I missed something here, why on earth would you
place your hand over the muzzle and pull the trigger?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Jasonb
oooh!

That reminds me of when I was 15 I learned a lesson about Canadian winters and co2 canisters with my old crosman C38 .22cal...Ouch!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
woodhippy
Have you ever entertained the idea of attending a firearm safety course? Depending on your location, most states require kids to complete a course at a certain age before being allowed to purchase a hunting license. Perhaps you could sit in on one of these, it would be a good start.
I am not being disrespectful, but you are ignorant. I have many firearms. I have four children, the three oldest boys have firearms. Five years old and without being told when he picks his gun up the first thing he does is point it in a safe direction and check the chamber. You NEVER point a gun, a gun of any kind, at anything unless you are going to discharge the gun. As you know from experience, you can be shot or shoot someone else. There are laws they call "Unlawful Use of a gun" that is a felony that will get you 3 to 5 right off, and there is a list of retainers they add to the charge that can increase your time. You will never own a gun the rest of your life.
Next time you pick up that pellet gun, or .22 or ANY gun, stop and THINK!! It could be your life next time, or your kids life, or the neighbor's kid. Then you are out of next times.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing