Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition » Peep sight test
Peep sight test 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Well the sun came out today, the wifes gone shopping and the dogs asleep in the shed, perfect time for some uninterupted target shooting.

As I said in a previous post I had got my peep sight setup as I like it but hadn't done any serious target pratice, so here goes, the range is 20m I'm laid on some decking with the gun barrel resting on a piece of rolled up carpet, the first target is one of leadmans which I copied off the site, but I must admit I was not to keen on all the black in the center of the target, at 20m it looks like one big bull, anyway here goes these are the first shots out of the Winchester today which I'm quite pleased with although three shots drifted off to the right, thats a problem I have it must be the way I pull the trigger ?.

So change of target this time one of my own, 30mm rings with 10mm bull,
easy to see with a peep sight, these shots were taken fairly quickly and I had to come off target to reload each shot, you cannot load a Winchester laying on the floor there's no room for the cocking lever to operate.

First target not to bad but I seem to be shooting top to bottom, second target better but could be a tighter group, third target four of the shots are a better group but drifting off to the side, forth target a lot better but still off to the right, fifth target adjust the sight to correct the side drift, a lot better but could be tighter.

I personaly think the gun is on it's limit and this is as good as it gets, if anyone can improve on this at 20m open sights or peep please post the results I would really like to see them, as I have shot 10,000 pellets through this gun in two months and I don't think I will improve any more, but it could be the gun!.

One final thought any of these shots would have taken out a Magpie at 20m with a head shot.

AL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:41 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
That's pretty good at 20m I'd say.

Now I have to ask- if you've about reached the limit on that Winchester- have you figured out what will be your next project? Very Happy

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi Al

Outstanding results there Al, Especially for open sights!!
I take it you were using the Bisleys? It looks like you were using Bisley Practises (Wadcutters) looking at your 30mm ring targets as the holes are quite neatly punched through, let me know if 'm wrong though.

I definitely wouldn't be able to achieve those groups at that distance with my 1077 even with a scope, Though I may get the lucky 3 shot in one hole once in a full moon, But not much luckier than that without some more modding though.

When I get my QB78 I will do some open sight testing on it to compare, But don't expect any decent groups out of it as I don't really use open sights.

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Thank's for the compliments lads, but I must admit this afternoon I loaded up again and shot a few targets using the original Winchester sights, and the results were absolute rubbish, that peep site makes all the diffrence.

As for the pellets I should have said, they were Bisley practice a bit slower than the Hobbys but more accruate.

As for my next project I think it will be a QB78 stripped right down to the basic metal and rebuilt into something really mean or nasty, mostly metal with very little wood if any, no cosmetics every thing will be functional.

I'm working on a silencer that when it is not required slides back down the barrel ( Question, does a QB78 have a taped barrel or stright ? ).

Anyway I'll have to get one before the new laws come into effect in the autum, mind you I haven't heared anything about them yet.

AL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi Al

Glad to hear that your new peep sight is making the difference! Cool
I thought you might have been using the Practises!.

Yes the QB78/XS78's barrel is straight (Not tapered) I just ran the Micrometre over it just now, it reads 14.20mm from the receiver to the muzzle, Sounds like your going to be busy when you get that QB78 Al with all the Hi-tech plans you have for it.

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Cheers Stevie,
It will either look nice or be a pile of junk, with QBs being a buget price gun if all goes wrong you havent lost to much.

I will probably be chasing you and leadman for info when I get sorted out.

By the way I'm looking at the .177 model.

Have a look at this site, what do you think, also anybody had any dealings with them ?.

http://www.shootingshack.com/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=111

AL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi Al

Feel free to ask any Q's you may have on the QB78/XS78 no matter how small or insignificant, I'm known to go well out of my way to help a friend out! Laughing

.177 aye! Definitely a good choice for all your Target shooting, also you don't have to worry about buying two different calibres for both your Winchester and the QB78, Good thinking! Wink I read somewhere that a guy shot .177cal pellets through his QB78 for ages and wondered why it was so inaccurate and powerless, I bet he felt a bit silly when he discovered that his QB78 was a .22! ROF Laugh

As for me I'll be getting the .22 as Hunting and Pest control will be it's primary function (Rats, Rabbits, Crows, etc...), I will still be using it for Target practise to keep my groups nice and tight though.

As for the site that you posted a link to, £85 excluding VAT and P&P isn't too bad, also being based in Bolton, Greater Manchester is quite good, Though I hear that Blackpool Air Rifles are selling them for £59.95 excluding VAT and P&P, though their site says they are temporarily out of stock at the moment so I would call them (0870 4430 264) to ask when they are likely to have them back in stock again, Also I'm not sure how they measure the output/power of their Guns but I always thought the QB78 shot at ~ 8.5 - 9FPE without mods?!?.

Hope this helps!

Stevie Thumb Up!

P.s. Let me know before you buy one, I've been meaning to find out where this guy who tunes them before selling them is (I think he is somewhere in the Midlands), I'll try and find out next time I see John (My local Gun shop owner).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Hi Stevie
I had another look at that site and I must have read it wrong, I thought the price was £64.99 not £85, never mind I will probably go to Air Shooter they do them at £64.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi Al

Yeah that site is confusing! I think it's £149.99 for the QB78 and the complete kit which consists of a Scope of choice out of the list that they provide, Deluxe fleeced gunslip, Scope mounts, a Tin of Pellets and Target cards.

And £85 for the QB78 alone. Also there is a choice of buying the 'Deluxe' version for an extra £39 on top.

I think that's all of it!

Stevie Thumb Up!

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition