Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Crosman Question Goto page 1, 2  Next
Crosman Question 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Buck Buck Down
I am looking for my first pellet gun and seem to be leaning tords the Crosman NPSS .22. Is this a good gun? What are the ups n downs to it and are there any modifications that can be done to it. I want to use it for hunting.

Thanks,
BBD
Crosman NPSS 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
Amigo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
BBD:

I think you'll find the .22 caliber a good choice for hunting as that cal., due to generally greater pellet weight, will have greater retained energy at point of impact than a .177 pellet.

The gas ram system has some advantages over both CO2 and spring powered airguns, and since there is no problem with leaving the gas piston "cocked" for prolonged periods, is ideal for hunting.

The Crosman NPSS is American made, and Crosman is known for good customer service and parts availability direct from Crosman via flat rate shipping. It seems the Crosman NPSS was designed for the gas ram piston and not a retrofit as is the GAMO model. Although I have not yet acquired the NPSS, all of the reviews I've seen are very positive and modification may not be necessary.

BTW, welcome to the forum Smile

Looking forward to see your rave review posts on your new air rifle.

Best regards,

Amigo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
Brutuz
And it seems to be relatively quiet too...

Crosman [1300 1322 1377 1377c 1389 2289G Mark II SSP250 2300KT 2400KT ]
Sheridan [HB20]
Haenel [III 284]
SMK [XS78 Deluxish]
My vids on Youtube

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:55 am Reply with quote
Crosman140
Welcome to the forum.

I read a review online about the gas ram system. Sounds like a good idea to replace the steel spring.

.177 Crosman 1377 (2009)
.177 Daisy 880 (2019)
BB Daisy Red Ryder (2012)
BB Daisy Buck (2019)
BB Crosman 1600 (1980)
BB Marksman 1010 (1979)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I want an npss too. I like my springer better than a PCP or CO2, so I think i'm saving up for this one next.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Buck Buck Down
Thanks guys, are these things easy to modify and if so is it worth it?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
Amigo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Other than a trigger group contact surface polish or a stock alteration like length of pull, I couldn't imagine what you would have in mind.
A self contained unit like the gas ram eliminates the need for most springer type mods.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
packrat
I'd atleast buy the NPSS and shoot it say 500 rounds before you decide it needs any modification.. you may not even like it and decide to sell it....send me a PM if that happens Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
Teryx
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Since this is a first air rifle I'll give you a little different perspective to consider. When I first got into higher performance airguns, I went straight to springers. I had seen incredible groups shot with them and they had plenty of power for most needs. I also liked the seeming simplicity. In the end though, I've come to the conclusion that you are either a springer guy or you aren't. The springers have peculiarities that make them different to shoot than any rifle I have handled. The more power they produce, the more pronounced the effect. They require a stricter form and hold to control the torque and reverse recoil. They are more sensitive to how they are supported and often don't do well off a rest. Shooting them well is a real art all in itself. If you embrace that challenge then you will probably do well. For me it was just a constant aggrevation. Hunting is my primary use for any gun. I prefer guns that are forgiving because under field conditions you can't always adhere to a strict protocol. Sometimes you do have to use a stump for a rest or shoot quickly without much forethought. I wanted a rifle that I could handle just like all the other rifles that I have shot for the last 46 years. For me, I've found a happy home with pneumatics. I'm just moving into the PCP realm and I think this will prove to be a great partnership.

Having said that, I know some people who own the NPSS and are very expereinced with alll types of airguns. They have said that the NPSS is among the nicest handling and least demanding of the springers they have shot. The rifle does still require some "springer" technique. I would actually love to have a springer that was less springy so I've thought about getting one myself. I'll probably wait until I find one to test fire first though.

These are just some things to think about before plunking down money and possibly being dissapointed. If you go the springer route, there are guys here who know how to handle them so that's a plus.

Teryx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Another perspective for me is springers are work to get used to, but if you become a good shot with one, PCPs and CO2 rifles and pistols turns into child's play. I got accurate with a springer and now I can pick up any air rifle and shoot it well.

Another thing to consider is price perspective. I can shoot all day on a tin of pellets that cost me 5 bucks. As long as your arms don't get tired you can shoot forever compared to a PCP or CO2. CO2 is starting to become expensive in the little powerlets.

Just my nickles worth!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Todd, you have a point. I read somewhere that people could use a .22lr as a shortrange trajectory simulator for longrange centerfire... If they would shoot the same distance with a springer, just learning to shoot it in all positions would greatly increase the user's accuracy.

Since shooting springers, now all the non-springers are VERY easy to shoot. Especially since springers weigh so much, everything feels like a toy.

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Teryx
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Todd,
I agree to a point, but some of the requirements of a springer are simply not an issue with other guns. They are particular to springers and don't have any benefit elsewhere. One case in point is the difficulty using rests of various sorts. Most any conventional rifle benefits from the use of a rest, any rest. With a springer the rest has to be chosen and used in a certain manner or the result could be worse than no rest at all.
Just to be clear, I'm not down on springers. Heck I really am consdering an NPSS myself. Discussing the differences is not a thumbs up or down, it's just understanding.

Teryx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Buck Buck Down
So is a NPSS (Nitro Piston Short Stroke) a springer or am I reading this wrong. I thought a springer was a gun that used a spring not a piston.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Buck Buck Down wrote:
So is a NPSS (Nitro Piston Short Stroke) a springer or am I reading this wrong. I thought a springer was a gun that used a spring not a piston.

It is a nitrogen filled cylinder, aka "gas ram spring". It still has recoil, just not as much as another rifle using a standard spring with the same amount of power. Part of the issue, which I don't believe has been mentioned, is that as it is a gas-filled cylinder- it will not "bounce" back like a regular spring, so the recoil is not as much a dual-direction event as would be found with a regular spring, making it easier to handle than a regular springer.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Verado
This might help you understand a little better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2bSmDzBY3g
Crosman Question 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles