Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » BB Guns » The Classic Red Ryder Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Classic Red Ryder 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
SnowBunny
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gone

Last edited by SnowBunny on Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:47 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
I have two laying around here, but am still in the process of cutting one down so my 5-year-old daughter can hold it properly. Too many projects, not enough time as usual.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
aircube
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"" I mean who hasn't wanted one of these at some point in their life""

ME Laughing

when I was about 10ish my older Bro had a RedRyder and other friends had pellet rifles, my Dad said he would buy me a RedRyder now, or I could wait two years aor so and get a Air pellet rifle.

I waited, even as a kid I thought that thing was sucky Razz I waited and ended up with a russian made .177 that could hit a small bird from around 100' AND kill it, instead of torture it.

My Dad (who is an awesome shot) and my brother used to line up wooden math sticks and lie down and take turns trying to hit them from about 20 feet. ussually it would take them several shots cuz the bb's were all over the place. So, at that point its not skill its luck, which becomes very boring. With the .177 my record was 5 match sticks in a row. Problably luck as well, but it was WAY more consistent. I remember the first time my Dad tried the .177 after shooting the bb gun and he could't believe how powerful and accurate it was.

I guess they do have there place, they are really light for littl ekids and they hurt like heck when you get hit by one, but they don't casue much damage.

Have fun with your new BB gun, pick up some playdoh, barbies, a frisby, a dart gun, a water pistol, and a skipping rope while your're at it, thet're fun too! Razz Razz Mr. Green Faq-U Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quote
aircube
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've got a BB gun question for you guys:

As an adult, if you don't need the extreme light weight, easy cocking and low (therefore fairly safe) power and considering they are not as accurate as a rifled pellet gun, why would you want one as an adult (unless you have kids of course) when there are a million other better guns to choose from?

Not a poke or a joke this time, just interested. Smile

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I don't own a red ryder myself, but a friend of mine has several. They are all commemorative versions with different things burned into the buttstock and I don't think any one of them has ever been fired. Just something different to collect I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
Crosman140
aircube wrote:

As an adult, if you don't need the extreme light weight, easy cocking and low (therefore fairly safe) power and considering they are not as accurate as a rifled pellet gun, why would you want one as an adult (unless you have kids of course) when there are a million other better guns to choose from?

thanks
People buy things for a lot of different reasons. I bought my 1377 because I always saw them in stores when I was a kid and then I found this site. They people here talked about how they were still good guns and easy to mod.

So, I bought one and have really enjoyed it for the nostalgia of it.

Many grew up having owned a Red Ryder or perhaps always wishing they had owned one. So, as adults, they end up going out and for a mere $40 buying one.

.177 Crosman 1377 (2009)
.177 Daisy 880 (2019)
BB Daisy Red Ryder (2012)
BB Daisy Buck (2019)
BB Crosman 1600 (1980)
BB Marksman 1010 (1979)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
aircube
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
good point, ican totally understand that. Not sure what i was thinking. Embarassed Just cuz I felt differently as a kid.

One thing I loved about my brothers is the fact that it held Sooooo many bb's

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Buster Bodine
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
aircube wrote:

First, I've gotta say that when I was a kid, I didn't want a Red Ryder either. I thought they looked too much like a toy. Instead I got that Daisy "Spittin' Image" 1894 which looks so much like a real 1894 that you can't tell the difference from 10 feet or more. But as an adult, the Red Ryder is about ideal for certain uses.

I'm sure everyone's tired of hearing about my aerial shooting but I have to at least kind of talk around it to answer your question.

Many of the things you cite as "shortcomings" in BB guns are exactly what make them attractive as a training tool for aerial shooting practice.

1 They're extremely cheap to purchase, maintain, and feed. Considering I shoot at least 2,000 BBs a week, cost of ammo is definitely a factor.

2. They're low powered! I can shoot into the air all day long and know beyond a doubt the BBs are never going to leave my property.

Also, coins tend to fly a bit even when you hit them with a BB. Hitting one with a high powered pellet gun would send the coins flying much farther and make them harder to find in the grass. Lost targets get expensive fast. Laughing (I shot about 10 quarters with a 10/22 last weekend and lost all but one of them.)

Also, the very low muzzle velocity gives me a distinct advantage because I can see the BB in flight. In instinctive shooting, this is a MAJOR bonus!

3. Although most people think of the Red Ryder as a small BB gun but in truth, the length of pull is almost exactly the same as that of either an 1894 Winchester or a Ruger 10/22. This means, when I go to the range and transition to "burner" practice, there's no big jump from one gun to the next.

4. They're LIGHT! When you fire 50 or 100 rounds in a session, even a Red Ryder gets heavy. You should see my 10/22. I bought a spare stock for it and have been constantly cutting it down, removing as much wood as I can in an effort to reduce weight. This not only makes it easier to lift and fire repeatedly but also makes it a lot faster handling.

5. It's completely non-threatening in appearance. I can take it anywhere, pull it out of the car trunk, and nobody gets intimidated by the big guy with the BB gun. Even those sniveling panty-waist liberals who proudly state they "don't like guns" have a hard time objecting to a Red Ryder.

I have no particular love for the Red Ryder. I don't have any fond childhood memories of it as I never had one when I was a kid and like you, didn't want one. But it's a tool well suited to a particular job and I won't trade it in until I find something better. (And yeah, I'm open to suggestions!) Mr. Green

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Buster Bodine
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
aircube wrote:

One thing I loved about my brothers is the fact that it held Sooooo many bb's

Oh yeah, make that number 6!

Load it once and shoot all day.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
aircube
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yea, i'm with you on the weight thing too, I've yet to weigh my Benjamin classic with the scope but its heavy enough that my accuarcy starts suffering after 20-30 shots.

Whats the Muzzle velocity of a Red Ryder in FPS with std bb's?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Crosman140
280-350 depending one where you read it online.

.177 Crosman 1377 (2009)
.177 Daisy 880 (2019)
BB Daisy Red Ryder (2012)
BB Daisy Buck (2019)
BB Crosman 1600 (1980)
BB Marksman 1010 (1979)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
SnowBunny
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gone

Last edited by SnowBunny on Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
You should get two then... they are only like $35.

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
TONBON
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
my buddy's dad passed 2 weeks ago. Crying or Very sad
not a hunter, but shot the red ryder off the porch daily, excellent shot. Very Happy
tonight we were discussing that he want's me to make him a matched of 4.
i honor of his dad. 1 for him and his 3 siblings. one sis is a excellent competion target shooter(22's).
woodburned, possibly with scales on the side of different wood.
his dad's 70' chevelle convertible in the woodburn. he did custom bdy work as a living for years.
he want's do try some engraving on em'. he wants me to do it all. Evil Plot Evil Plot
who got a blowup pic of one?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:58 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Over here it's not Red Ryders but Haenel 310's.

Kids are bigger and stronger here. And more furry. Razz

Air Gun Home Forum Index » BB Guns