Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » BB Guns » The Difference Between Toys and Tools Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Difference Between Toys and Tools 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
Buster Bodine
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
First and foremost, I'd like to say thanks to Eric & Co. for seeing fit to give us a BB gun forum. I appreciate it and hope to get a good bit of use out of it.

Second, I'd like to address a common recurring misconception I keep encountering in these forums.

A lot of y'all out there keep insisting that BB guns are toys. Well, if when you say that, you're only talking about yourself, you're almost certainly right. If you think it's a toy, then in your hands it's probably a toy and will never be anything more until you change the way you think.

But then, I know a lot of guys who own burners like AR-15s, M-1A1s, AK-47s, FN FALs, Steyr AUGs, etc, etc, and to these guys, those very expensive, very effective, and very deadly firearms are nothing but toys.

These guys who own these "dangerous toys" lack either the desire, ability, or knowledge required to turn that "toy" into a "tool."

In the right hands, those firearms can all be highly effective tools.

Like, my hands.

Former Army
Former US Marine
Gunsmith
Firearms Instructor (Certs from NRA, Arkansas State Police, etc.)
NRA Distinquished Expert in two different disciplines.

When I pick up a rifle or handgun, it's no toy. It's a tool. Sometimes that tool is a very general purpose item, sometimes it is a highly developed and specialized piece of equipment perfectly suited to one task and one task only.

But it's never a toy.

And neither are my Red Ryder BB guns or my two pellet guns. (More will come with time.)

Oh that doesn't mean I can't have FUN with them! Let's not get all sourpussed about it.

Just as a carpenter can enjoy banging nails with his hammer and have a grand ol' time doing it, so I can use the tools of my trade (firearms, AGs and BB guns) and have a great time as well.

But no matter how much that carpenter enjoys his work, that hammer isn't a toy and never will be. It's just one of the tools of his trade. Just like BB guns are one of the tools of my trade.

Bottom line...
If you have a BB gun and want to keep it light, play with it, and treat it like a toy, that's perfectly cool. You got a right! Mr. Green

But don't assume your lack of serious intent is universal. Some of us put those "toys" to hard use and get a hell of a lot of mileage out of them.

This first picture is a nickle I've thrown into the air and shot about 150 times with a Red Ryder BB gun.

This is a quarter I shot with a 10/22 day before yesterday. I shot about 10 quarters, but this was the only one I could find at the end of the session. Those puppies really fly when you hit'em. I also hit a 50 cent piece with a .45 Colt Single Action but that one took the long march too so sorry, no picture. :D

I learned how to do all this with a BB gun. You could do the same if you stopped thinking of them as toys.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
scroller99
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As a basic rule anything that could easily put an eye out is not a toy, I feel the same as you do about bb guns I do not own a working model but I did enjoy them so much as a kid and learned to handle a gun and to not shoot a foot off when I jumped up to 22's and 12 ga Smile

benji 392
drozd bumble bee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Toys is a very broad term. Most people think tonka trucks or barbie dolls when you say toy. I think anything you have fun with can be a toy. Let's make it clear that some toys are MUCH more dangerous than others.

To me, my toys are socket wrenches, hammers, guns, reloading tools (even though I don't have any, I want them), screw drivers.

I love tools, one time I just about blew one in my pants when I saw the "blackhawk" ratchet from black and decker. Twist the handle and it turns the bolt, great for tight spaces.

I'm sure that if I spent enough time with the red ryder I could hit dimes and pennies thrown into the air. That's with a "toy"... that toy is also a tool because I could make money shooting stuff with it. People would pay for the spectacle.

Should you point that .25 Condor at your neighbors' heads? Most certainly not. Would it be safe to point a nerf gun at them? Sure... nerf guns are not tools, just toys.

High powered burners are obviously tools, because they are not to be "played" with. But who goes to the range and tries to keep a straight face when you hit the X on your 1000yard target? Can you not have fun when you go hunting and get within 20 yards of a monster buck, and it drops on the spot? That's a toy to me.

Should guns (of any kind) be treated like toys? No. Are they toys? Yes. Are they tools? Yes. Are tools fun? Yes.

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
Buster Bodine
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
fritz wrote:

People would pay for the spectacle.

Could you point these people out to me please? Mr. Green

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Anything that shoots metal projectiles is not a toy. Period.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Fine. I will make pellets out of ice.

Since water is a liquid combination of gases (at room temperature).

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
they're all toys to me. my K-BAR is a toy. explosives are toys.

as in. i like to play with them for fun. they're big kid toys. some people have dirt bikes and boats for toys.

not to be taken in the literal sense.

i love my toys and they are all in lockdown. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I think toys mean "something little kids can play with".

Sure, a kid can "play" with a red ryder. But he has to have a very adult understanding of the implications of improper use.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
[quote="sniper"]they're all toys to me.

like i said. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
SnowBunny
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gone

Last edited by SnowBunny on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
What he said Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
[quote="SnowBunny"]
sniper wrote:
sniper wrote:
they're all toys to me.

like i said. Mr. Green

Im going to make a distinction here that has already been made, but im going to make it more clear. As a general rule of thumb, anything you can have fun with is a toy, My guns are toys, my atv's are toys, hell even my computer is a toy. They are all dangerous and should be treated with proper respect. If I threw a Barbie Doll at my friends face as hard as I could, he could be hurt obviously, non the less its still a toy. Toy's can be toy's as long as proper safety messure is followed. Lets take a anti gun person. If they required too use a gun but refused too have fun doing it, its a tool not a toy. If a gun enthusiast shoots a gun too him its a Dangerous toy and a tool. So dont we all think of them as Toy's with nessasary safety requirments?

HUH! Huh?

who exactly is snowbunny??? THAT was really clear and well written.........
Huh?
not to mix that up with other threads......??????

buster, i think there might be two players here. Shocked

all too clear. Idea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote
SnowBunny
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gone

Last edited by SnowBunny on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:24 am Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
[quote="SnowBunny"]
sniper wrote:
SnowBunny wrote:
sniper wrote:
sniper wrote:
they're all toys to me.

like i said. Mr. Green

Im going to make a distinction here that has already been made, but im going to make it more clear. As a general rule of thumb, anything you can have fun with is a toy, My guns are toys, my atv's are toys, hell even my computer is a toy. They are all dangerous and should be treated with proper respect. If I threw a Barbie Doll at my friends face as hard as I could, he could be hurt obviously, non the less its still a toy. Toy's can be toy's as long as proper safety messure is followed. Lets take a anti gun person. If they required too use a gun but refused too have fun doing it, its a tool not a toy. If a gun enthusiast shoots a gun too him its a Dangerous toy and a tool. So dont we all think of them as Toy's with nessasary safety requirments?

HUH! Huh?

who exactly is snowbunny??? THAT was really clear and well written.........
Huh?
not to mix that up with other threads......??????

buster, i think there might be two players here. Shocked

all too clear. Idea

No their isn't two players, I tend to be clear and well written when I am not afraid of dieing, the person whom killed my mom got out of prison and is apparently after me, I have police protection, but still. Either way, Ill take the wake up call you all have so strongly been trying to give me and will only post when i am mentally fit to do so. Again, sorry.
ps. Do not turn this into a discussion unless you absolutely have to, Id rather not talk about it as it brings up very bad memories.

One things for real..
I an't going to miss the rest of this thread.....

" Sits back with bag of popcorn"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:33 am Reply with quote
Buster Bodine
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
kanyon wrote:

One things for real..
I an't going to miss the rest of this thread.....

" Sits back with bag of popcorn"

Sadly, Snowjob has lied so constantly about everything else, we have no way of knowing how much truth (if any) there is to his story. Can't believe a word he says. He's also liable to come in here and delete his post as he's done several times already and I'm getting tired of every thread he posts in becoming a thread about him. I have nothing else to say about him.

Lock Lock Lock
The Difference Between Toys and Tools 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » BB Guns