Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » R1 velocities....Disapointed
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
R1 velocities....Disapointed 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
Pelletgun Nut
Member
Member
Joined: 28 May 2009
Posts: 22
Location: San Francisco area
I got my chrony. Tested my new R1 in 5mm. Rather disapointed. Firing Beeman FTS 11.2 grain. Velocities vared from 746 to 780. Is this part of break in?

I tested my 25 year old C1 in 177 cal. Using Beeman FTS 8.9 grain. Velocities from 720 -735. Never done a thing to it in all these yrs.

For fun I fired my 20 yr old Sherdian 5mm, using Beeman FTS pellets. Got 620 with 8 pumps.

Bob
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
aircube
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 02 May 2009
Posts: 261
What is the R1 rated at, isn't it around 850 fps?

You can "generally" shave about 100 fps off companies advertised ratings on their guns. But reading through the reviews on the R1 at PyramidAir, sounds like the R1 often does hit the rated fps and some users are claiming that their rifle even exceeds the advertised FPS.

How many shots do you have through it. My new benjamin sheridan went up about 50 fps and then leveled off after about 1000 pellets. Have you tried diff pellets? Cleaned the barell?

If it doesn't pick up after a couple of tins, I would contact Beeman or the store you bought it from.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
Pelletgun Nut
Member
Member
Joined: 28 May 2009
Posts: 22
Location: San Francisco area
Thanks for the response. It is rated @ 860 with Silver Bear pellets, 9.8 grain.

I have had about 300 rounds through it so far. I know they say wait until you have 800 - 1000 rounds. We will see.

Best

Bob
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 09 Aug 2008
Posts: 1582
Location: New Zealand
750fps with 11.2gr = 14fpe....that will take done a rabbit/possum etc..


Pete
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 3752
Location: Star, Idaho
in my opinion, yes, it will go up. metal parts are mating and marrying. my tech-89 (cheap chinese springer) gained 20-30fps after 1000 shots.
780-790 out of the box in 14.3. now 810-830. Wink

_________________
I believe in gun control,
If there's a gun around I
want to be controlling it.......
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
One thing to mention that often gets forgotten; it's not all about the power output. You can have the most powerful airgun that won't hit the side of a barn at 20 feet. You have a reasonable amount of power as-is, if the accuracy is there, you're doing pretty good.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
Pelletgun Nut
Member
Member
Joined: 28 May 2009
Posts: 22
Location: San Francisco area
Thanks for your responses. This is a great forum. I have a lot to learn...lol!

Generally I am satisfied with the rifle. It is accurate. At 25 yards, it groups under 1/2" from a rest.

I found a chart on the net with R1 velocities, and with the velocities of different pellets. I was pretty much expecting mine to match. The chart showed average velocities using the FTS Pellet at 831 fps.

I know that with proper care, these things wear in, not out!


Best

Bob
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 2051
How do you think I felt when I first chronied my RWS 5g which is advertised at 700 fps, and it clocked 492 fps?Evil or Very Mad

But like Eric said, if its accurate then that's all that matters. Not that I still wouldn't want to beat those lying bastards at RWS over the head with the butt of the pistol.

_________________
I done been assisted by the trees and rivers. Never needed any minister to figure my divinity.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
Pelletgun Nut
Member
Member
Joined: 28 May 2009
Posts: 22
Location: San Francisco area
Roger...I am sure you were disapointed. As you know they get velocities from the lightest pellet.

I did some more testing tonight. Broke 800 fps, then setteled into the high 770's. I got 456 fps once and was like WTF! Must of been a bad reading.

Tried Crow Magnums, was between 729 - 734. Was pleased.

Thanks everyone

Bob
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
donwalk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 247
Location: republik of kaliphornia
as it relates...wyatt earp is supposed to have said, when asked about being 'fast' with a gun: "speed is fine, accuracy is final"

_________________
never squat while wearing spurs...will rogers
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 2051
I would only be concerned about velocity if it was so low that I felt it wouldn't have the killing power that is needed for the task at hand. 730 fps with crow mags is a very lethal speed. Keep in mind that I do most of my killing between 500-600 fps with lighter pellets. But it is at close range of course, which makes a big difference.

_________________
I done been assisted by the trees and rivers. Never needed any minister to figure my divinity.
View user's profile Send private message
R1 velocities....Disapointed 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.