Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » .177 Cal Ballistics Coefficients ~ 13 FPE
.177 Cal Ballistics Coefficients ~ 13 FPE 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
I finally got around to testing Ballistics Coefficients in my Diana 34 in .177 Cal.... Some of you will remember the non-PAL BC Charts I published about a year ago.... This time the velocities (with standard pellets) is in the ~850 fps range instead of ~495.... with muzzle energy ranging from 12 to 14 FPE.... Here are the results:

As with the .22 Cal chart, most of the BCs are NOT much different than the non-PAL ones.... Once again, many wadcutters are a bit worse, while many round-nose pellets are better.... In addition, the JSB Predator again seemed to perform better at the higher velocities as well.... Those pellets showing significant improvement over the non-PAL numbers have the BCs shown in bold.... Cool

The clear winners for Ballistics Coefficient are the JSB Exact series in all weights (7.9 gr. Express, 8.4 gr. Exact, and the 10.3 gr. Heavy).... the 10.2 gr. Weirauch Magnum / Beeman Kodiak (same as the H&N Barracuda).... the Crosman 7.9 gr. Premier and HollowPoints and the Crosman 10.6 gr. Heavy.... the 8.4 gr. Weirauch / Beeman FTS.... and the Beeman 7.9 gr. Trophy and 10.0 gr. Ram Jet (H&N Silouhette).... These were the ONLY pellets that maintained over 9 FPE at 25 yards.... Twisted Evil

I hope you find this information useful.... Ballistics Coefficients are a funny thing though.... you can't expect to be able to extrapolate the results (ie don't think a gun shooting ~700 fps will have the BCs half way in between, it may not).... If someone wants to send me a small quantity of any pellets missing, I will add them to the results.... Wink

In conclusion, pellet selection apprears even MORE important in higher powered guns, as those with poorer BC's seem to get worse while those with better Ballistics Coefficients seem to improve at higher velocities.... Shocked

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Yet again, great work. And it's presented nice and neat. Mr. Green

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
TONBON
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

rsterne, yet again, you are the man.
very helpful info. Evil Plot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
What he said Shocked

thank you bob!!!!!