Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition » let's see pics of range Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
it used to be a regulated range then was made private

Explain, please, the CA definition of "regulated" and "private."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
regulated means patroled by authority.

private means a membership with key's.(though regulated in some form) more or less ,regulation through the trust of the patrons. as you described.

probably not a finding in LA county.

"the angeles ranges" are like a grocery store. someone every 20 feet on your a$$! with mixed company, i like it that way!

the range of the .357 incodent was regulated by rangers driving in and out.

so i guess not much regulation that someone was killed!

i complained to myself about the closure. but is was for the good....

what i know now about ranges is i will never go to "lytle creek" again!
lytle creek is you, side by side with who knows who and rapid fire is allowed.
at least the last time i was there in 2001. maybe THAT changed for an obvious reason...

keep in pointed in a safe direction!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
with mixed company, i like it that way!

Los Angeles is a big place. Waseca is a little place (8,000 people surrounded by farm land). The club has about 200 members. That may be partly why our informal setup works.

We have a core of rifle people that have shot together for years. If the range is crowded, there are probably two or three of us present. If there are guests or infrequent shooters that day, we visibly model the behaviour that we expect from them - and they usually fall in step. Things like communication, muzzle control, housekeeping, etc.

Since most of us know each other, the guests or new/infrequent shooters stick out like a turd in a punch bowl. That gives us the opportunity to go up to them and have a friendly, welcoming conversation that includes range safety.

I'm not sure I would like to shoot next to complete strangers without formal supervision.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
Crosman140
We have a couple of ranges open free to the public. It can give you a funny feeling when you step up to the range with your air rifle and the guy next to you looks like he's one step away from going postal. Shocked

But a few friendly words complimenting him on is fire arm seems to rescue the situation. Smile

.177 Crosman 1377 (2009)
.177 Daisy 880 (2019)
BB Daisy Red Ryder (2012)
BB Daisy Buck (2019)
BB Crosman 1600 (1980)
BB Marksman 1010 (1979)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
a few friendly words complimenting him on is fire arm

That kind of courtesy is always in order, and reaps benefits in respect and communication.

Or, you could use the Slavia method and hang so much ridiculous junk on your gun that it looks like something from Star Wars. Then the guy next to you thinks you're some really serious fringe shooter, when in fact you're just an old geezer with a "BB gun."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Crosman140
Slavia wrote:
Quote:
a few friendly words complimenting him on is fire arm

That kind of courtesy is always in order, and reaps benefits in respect and communication.

Or, you could use the Slavia method and hang so much ridiculous junk on your gun that it looks like something from Star Wars. Then the guy next to you thinks you're some really serious fringe shooter, when in fact you're just an old geezer with a "BB gun."

OK, you made me laugh. Laughing But I like the idea. Cool

.177 Crosman 1377 (2009)
.177 Daisy 880 (2019)
BB Daisy Red Ryder (2012)
BB Daisy Buck (2019)
BB Crosman 1600 (1980)
BB Marksman 1010 (1979)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
i've had a few experiences throught childhood of going to unregulated ranges and having THE HOMEBOY VATOS show up drinkin beer and shooting every direction.

one by one they closed.

that's a good thing!

better to be alive with no place to shoot than shoot wherever you want eh?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:28 am Reply with quote
tenutz
I frequent the Angeles Range. Usually go during the middle of the week so it's not too crowded. Take the small bores out and always pack at least one air gun. It's rather interesting to be shooting my IZH 46m while the gent next to me is firing some 40+ caliber pistol. An interesting study in contrasts.

Just up the road from the main Angeles range is the Los Angeles Silhouette Club where I have shot air pistol and rifle Silhouette Matches. Shade Tree Shooters runs a monthly match. Good crowd and nice people.

Right now I have a 5 - 7 metre range in a hallway at home, It works. I'l post pix when I get the new back guard and target in. Right now it's just a couple of layers of carpet and a cardboard box stuffed with rags and telephone books. it works also but could be a bit nicer.

I did have a nice range in the back yard. Nice canted cement back stop and stations set from 5 - 25 yard. But after a visit by some of LA's finest to inform me that shooting in ones backyard is a no-no. Seems someone looked into the yard and saw me shooting and called, reporting a shooting. I will leave the "Incident" to your imagination. The police were a bit miffed when they found out that they had been called out for a middle aged guy shooting an air pistol in his backyard. So I got off with a stern warning. So... Indoors for me.

======================
RSW Diana Model 240 ,177
RWS Diana Model 35 .22
Crosman 1377 .177
Crosman 2240 .22
Baikal IZH 46m ,177
======================

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:05 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Sounds like you had a lucky escape that time Tenuts, Smile shame about not being able to shoot in your backyard. Crying or Very sad

BTW Welcome to AirGunHome

Al

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
[quote="tenutz"]I frequent the Angeles Range. Usually go during the middle of the week so it's not too crowded. Take the small bores out and always pack at least one air gun. It's rather interesting to be shooting my IZH 46m while the gent next to me is firing some 40+ caliber pistol. An interesting study in contrasts.

hey neighbor. i was there last month. had my maruader out to 60 yards with .357 and .44 mag on either side of me. Laughing i hate that place crowded. there were a couple stupids that day.

looks kinda funny lugging a scuba tank on a burner range. Laughing

RE: backyard range 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
packrat
Finally remembered to take a picture of part of mine...this part is 25 yards
I can also move back further (sit on my back porch) , and it measures 44 yards. All I need at least for noe, having a hard time getting good shot groups back @ the 44 yard position....

I f have FINALLY got a group to post that isn't embarrasing..the "flyer" was right in the middle of a sneeze....the other five are..well, it's the best I've done do far Storm XT.7.9 Crosman pointed hunting pellets...and tha SCHWEEEET GRTIII trigger !!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
packrat
My little "shooting range" hastily put together was less than what I wanted. Today I put up 4 x 8 plywood (1/2" treated ) up on each side at 45 degree angle. Stacked two rows of concrete blocks, staggered so that second row covers the cracks between blocks in front row. painted it, as you can see..loks halway presentable now- I am pleased. I have a 25 yard spot under a nice big magnolia tree with chair, table etc. Another spot at 44 yards, which is up on my back porch. From there, I can shoot even when it's raining Cool Cool Cool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
packrat
packrat wrote:
My little "shooting range" hastily put together was less than what I wanted. Today I put up 4 x 8 plywood (1/2" treated ) up on each side at 45 degree angle. Stacked two rows of concrete blocks, staggered so that second row covers the cracks between blocks in front row. painted it, as you can see..loks halway presentable now- I am pleased. I have a 25 yard spot under a nice big magnolia tree with chair, table etc. Another spot at 44 yards, which is up on my back porch. From there, I can shoot even when it's raining Cool Cool Cool

The white frame in fore ground has spinning targets . I built it from metal around my shop..total cost $0.0 Mr. Green

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition