Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Need help with diagnosing Phantom Problem...
Need help with diagnosing Phantom Problem... 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote
n9nu
Since taking a part the gun to clean it, I have been having problems with getting the barrel to lock after compressing it. Something (spring or whatever) is not allowing the part(s) to catch the spring (tension) to remain cocked. Every fourth or so try it does catch, but there must be something that is out of alignment or worn down.

Below are some pictures showing the trigger assembly and all the parts. This is a model Phantom CS1K77 (USA). I just wanted to know if everything looks ok from the pix shown. I know the 2nd pic sucks.....my bad.

One another note, is it possible to purchase a spring with the same tension, but a bit longer, to increase the velocity?

If there is no way to increase the velocity for this rifle, can anyone recommend a rifle that has a higher velocity? I have not seen any that are over 1000 FPS +/-

Thanks

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
The sear is not grabbing the hole in the piston- thus why you can't keep it cocked.

If the spring on the trigger assembly in your first picture (at the very top) has been damaged, there may not be enough pressure to keep the sear in position holding the piston (this spring is what loads the sear). Looking at the picture, you also have the spring on the wrong side of the sear- it needs to be underneath it, not beside it.

Another common culprit for your issue is someone putting something on the end/ends of the spring to try and make more power, but have gone too far and the main spring is coil bound (i.e. solid) before the sear is fully aligned with the piston hole/tab. If you have also put any sort of spacers in the tube with the spring, start removing them until the sear catches properly. The other thing to verify is that the entire trigger assembly is installed as far "forward" as it can be and tightened properly so it cannot move backwards on the tube.

There are other airguns out there that will go over 1000fps, but accuracy starts to go out the window. If you want big power (why?) and some degree of accuracy you will have to start using something other than store-bought everyday pellets- i.e. lead "bullets" shaped differently than diabolo pellets. Common pellets have not been designed to cross back/forth over the sound "barrier" properly and accuracy becomes more a dream than a reality. There is a guy in Australia who regularly kills small game at 150+ yards with an air rifle putting out 25fpe (a 14.3gr .22 pellet at 900fps would be 25 foot pounds of energy) but he is the exception, not the rule. What is it you want to do with such a rifle that increased power is required?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Do you see how the tails of the sear spring angle up and to the left in your picture? They should be pointed down and rest against the back of the trigger housing. The little loop at the other end of the spring should be underneath the sear.

This will force the sear up into the piston with considerably more pressure.
It's also going to make it harder to install the trigger group. Point "A" in the photo should rest against the outside of the compression tube. I would suggest pulling the trigger into the "just fired" position (parts at "B" are no longer engaged) and tie the sear down so it doesn't try to crawl up inside the piston when you slide the trigger module into place.

Here's how my G1 looks:

This is from the thread at:
http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=1760&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
Notice how my sear points upwards, rather than horizontally as yours does.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
If you want another/better spring J M Maccari dose crosman springs

Eric is right you don't want to go over 1000fps but your gun dose not shoot close to that. Even thou its rated at 1000fps by the factory.
You could esaly get another 100 + fps and still be under 1000fps

A 1.77 CFX Gamo is rated at 1000fps but avarage FPS for one is 870fps
Need help with diagnosing Phantom Problem... 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles