Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » crosman 1077W
crosman 1077W 
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Has anybody had any experience of these, I quite fancy one for general plinking ect it does not need to be to powerfull has it will only be used in the confines of my garden, also does it make much diffrence whether the stock is wood or plastic, as I would probably paint it anyway.

AL

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:17 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Not sure what you would like to know- specifically. Both Stevielaner and myself own 1077s (maybe a few others do around here as well?).

The 12-shot magazine is handy- but I find that a 12g caplet needing replacement every 40-50 shots is a pain- a bulk fill option with a pile of the rotary magazines on hand really make for "good plinking fun" (that almost sounds dirty Very Happy ).

As I've found- and I believe Stevie discovered- the 1077 could use some improvements when it first comes out of the box- i.e. a barrel recrown and maybe some hammer and trigger work to increase power output slightly. The 1077 is certainly not a "high end" gun- and the Crosman quality control level on them seems to prove this quite often.

If your question is a generic "is it worth the money to buy one" I would say "yes"- assuming its price isn't totally out-of-line in the UK when compared to the US (in the US the 1077W is usually around $99.00) and other guns in the same UK-specific pricerange.

If you'd like some ideas of what has been done to 1077s from a tuning perspective- there a 1077 Modification topic in the Rifles forum.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:49 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Hi Eric
All I wanted to know really was just general opinion of this gun, 40-50 shots sounds OK, what I tend to do is load up a caplet have a quick 1/2 hour out in the garden blasting whats available ( being very carefull not to hit any of the wife's flowers ) until the gas as gone, so 40-50 shots sounds about right, I'm not to bothered about increasing the power but a trigger mod would be on the cards, are the plastic stocks as strong as the wooden ones as over here wood cost about £30.00 more, in fact what you pay in Canadian dollers we pay the same but in British pounds so who' being ripped off. It does seem that what with the new gun laws coming out later this year that some online suppliers are starting to reduce the price of there guns so as they can clear there stock before October, so some good bargins could be available this summer.

AL

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:10 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
You know, it would be great if a german company would pick up the idea of the crosman 1077 W and then making it better. Something like a semi-automatic airmagnum 850... I'd definately buy it.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:56 am Reply with quote
Alstone
yea I never thought about putting this post in the rifle section, being a pistol man I kind of get a mental block when looking at forums for rifles.

Broommaster
If a german company made it, it would cost four times as much and have all the mods done, or made so you cannot do any. Takes all the fun out of it. But I do like the Airmagnum 850, I think it would be a bit to much for my garden, after a couple of weeks it would look like the Somme.

AL
Crosman 1077W 
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
I also own the Crosman 1077(W), As AirGunEric pointed out earlier in this thread, And if you are thinking of getting one for shooting in a small garden, It's probably the best CO2 rifle for the job, And if you want to improve the accuracy of the rifle (Which I'd think you would) I suggest that you perform the barrel re-crown mod and the trigger spring mod as well, As when you first get the 1077 it can really give you a achy trigger finger for ages, Which is very annoying.

As for getting it in Wood or synthetic;
I would suggest you pay the extra for the wood stock as the quality of it feels a thousand times better, But if you are going to be painting it I'd suggest that you go for the synthetic.

Over here in the UK the 1077 costs around £94.95.

And the 1077W costs about £124.95.

And as you live in the UK it's a good idea to get a silencer as well, Especially if you live close to your neighbour's (But if there not so friendly don't bother with a silencer).

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Cheers Stevie I think you have told me basically all I wanted to know, I think I will go for the wood. Thanks for the info about the trigger I think that will be the first job. The garden is about 25m so I think the 1077 will be ideal for when I want a bit of extra power, the pistols start to run out of puff at this range.

AL

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
If you do decide to paint it- post up some pictures. It's always interesting to see what people have done to "customize" their airguns! Smile

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
Alstone
A friend of mine has a 1077 and he is going to bring it along to the club later this week so I can have a look and try it out, I'm looking forward to that. I'll let you know what I thing of it.

AL

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
It's also a good idea to think about the selling value after use for a long time.

I know my gun is quite a nice gun that will cost about 200 euro's after a year of 5, if I take good care of it. If I keep it well long enough maybe even more.

My next airgun will probably be a Haenel-Match-Rifle. I like the looks of those and the repeatin system is quite interesting too.

About a german company making an expensive 1077: For about 250 euro's they can make something like the Umarex 850, only a bit smaller. I'd pay 300 for a set with scope, silencer, whatever, of a "german build 1077" if it would exist.

A good buy is an expensive buy. Difference though is that I hardly care about tuning. I'd much more like it to be cost efficient, good looking and worth a big wad of cash. So I understand very well if you like it for tuning. But if a 1077W costs 125 dollars out of the box and it's got plastic parts and things like that, I'd rather pay 225 dollars for a gun that is finished. Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Just like anything else- if you want "the best" you can buy something a bit lower-end and upgrade it, and upgrade it, and upgrade it- until it is also "the best" and by the time you're done- hopefully you haven't paid more than what "the best" would have cost you initially.

But, for many many people in airgunning- the "hobby" of it doesn't just include the shooting or the collecting, but the tuning/upgrading as well.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

hi mate 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:22 pm Reply with quote
junior
hi mate, if your buying in uk check jsramsbottom they had them at around £70, you will want to mod beleive me, its a man thing...goodluck and enjoy

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Cheers Junior I'll have a look at their site, but before I buy one I've arranged to try one later this week, so we'll see how it goes.

AL

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
AirGunEric wrote:
Just like anything else- if you want "the best" you can buy something a bit lower-end and upgrade it, and upgrade it, and upgrade it- until it is also "the best" and by the time you're done- hopefully you haven't paid more than what "the best" would have cost you initially.

But, for many many people in airgunning- the "hobby" of it doesn't just include the shooting or the collecting, but the tuning/upgrading as well.

I more or less got that from reading here Mr. Green

The tuning did catch my fancy for a bit.

One of my first serious designs. The stock isn't supposed to be red-ish. It's particularly the shape. The gun itself is a Norconia B2, a very cheap and terrible designed break barrel.

I have a friend who can do magic with wood, and he offered a lot of free time if I came with a nice design. And he liked this. He also said he'd do another one if the design was good enough.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles