Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories » Best place to find a shooter's chronograph Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Best place to find a shooter's chronograph 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Redster
Member
Member
Joined: 27 Jan 2007
Posts: 57
What is the best place to find a shooting crony?

I see they have a basic one, the F-1, for $89.95 US at:

http://www.shootingchrony.com/products_SCMMCM.htm

This seems to be a very reasonable price. Does anybody know anything about it?
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Those "Shooting Chrony's" seem to be the most economical- the other common unit out there is the "Pro Chronograph" (that's just its/the company's name) which is about 50% more expensive to start- but has a few of the "optional" pieces for the ShootingChrony already on it. There are other chrony's out there- all primarily designed for professional/institutional use (gunsmiths and crime labs I guess) and start at more than a few hundred bucks from what I've seen. I don't know what this means for the lower-priced "amateur use" chronies accuracy or consistency- it would be nice if someone with access to the "pro" models did a comparison someday.

Quite a few sporting goods places carry the Pro Chronograph and the Shooting Chrony units- so if you contact them you may be able to find a store near you to go and actually see them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Thanks for the info. 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Redster
Member
Member
Joined: 27 Jan 2007
Posts: 57
I'll let you know how successful I am at finding something to look at here in Phoenix.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Here's another one:

http://www.chronoscopes.com/index.html


-I had heard that because it's barrel-mounted it may have accuracy issues for projectiles over 1000fps, but seeing as how people buy these for regular firearms too- that's more than likely BS.

The problem of course is that that 39.95 British Pounds is approximately $80 USD, plus shipping, plus duties/taxes, plus brokerage/processing fee- so by the time it's in your hand it will easily be well over $120.00. Personally, I'd go with the larger, table/floor mount units.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Glad to see you back, AirGunE! 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quote
Redster
Member
Member
Joined: 27 Jan 2007
Posts: 57
Here is that link to DNR Sports with those great prices on Shooting Chronys:

http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/D___R_Catalog_Chrony_Chronographs_5447.html

I have ordered a Beta Chrony, and have received a message from them that it is in process. I will keep this thread up to date about how my experience with them works out.

Another thing, it looks like DNR prices on airguns are not too shabby either!

Redster
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
I looked that over too- their pricing on guns is definetly competitive and those are absolutely the lowest prices on chronographs I've seen- including Ebay vendors who typically sell the F1 for $79.95-ish.

Good deal- let us know how long it takes to get to you as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote
Redster
Member
Member
Joined: 27 Jan 2007
Posts: 57
Okay, I ordered the Chrony Sunday the 4th, it was recorded really early on Monday, it was picked up by UPS Tuesday and left Pennsylvania on Wednesday. UPS Ground, so it should be here by Monday the 12th. Heck, if I would have had them send it air I would have had it soon enough to play with it this weekend!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
So- did it show? Did it show? Did it show?


Is it everything it should be, and what you expected it to be? Give us a review of what you like or don't like about it. Also- tell us what numbers you're getting from what guns!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:31 am Reply with quote
leadman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 10 Feb 2007
Posts: 215
lol i think someone is excited lol id like a review on the product to
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote
Redster
Member
Member
Joined: 27 Jan 2007
Posts: 57
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! :D

Right on time! It was waiting for me when I got home from work last night!

It was well packed and looks to be working great, so I think we can put DNR Sports ( www.dnrsports.com ) on our list of good sources.

Unfortunately, it was dark by the time I hit the door, so the only thing I could do was take it back to my home office, set it up, put a battery in it, read the instructions, etc. My wife was real suspicious about what I was doing in there with the door closed. Laughing

I may have to take a vacation day sometime this week so I can actually play with it, for real!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote
leadman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 10 Feb 2007
Posts: 215
isnt that a great feeling when your waiting for what seems like forever and its finally there







and then you find they used rediculous amounts of tape and you cant find a knife lol
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Redster
Member
Member
Joined: 27 Jan 2007
Posts: 57
True, and the last thing I want to happen is to be all excited with something sharp in my hands.

Yikes!

That is a real recipe for disaster!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:15 am Reply with quote
leadman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 10 Feb 2007
Posts: 215
i hear that opening parcels is alot more difficult with only 7 fingers and 2 thumbs Wink
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Redster
Member
Member
Joined: 27 Jan 2007
Posts: 57
Well, I didn't lose any fingers and I got it set up on Saturday.

My old camera tripod works great now as a dedicated Chrony mount:




Yeow, it's a tad big, but you get plenty of detail this way. (I'll edit down future images, Admin! Laughing )

Speaking of which, here's another (edited) view of that Phantom 1000:




That's better. This gun is way more accurate than I can shoot with it. It is my first springer and I tend to grab at the forearm when the recoil goes forward. I'm getting better, though!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
So- are you seeing the velocities you expected out of your collection?

How about the chrony? All the features working- working well? Did it come with software to download readings to your computer?

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Best place to find a shooter's chronograph 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Accessories
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 2  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.