Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » crossman2000 target??questions???
crossman2000 target??questions??? 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
rixsta
hi all, been looking at the crossman 2000 but aint used one before...have you?? are they consistent/accurate, can they tuned to uk legal limit 12ft/ibs?? and are they good enough for ft/hft against pcps...please let me know your views and opinions on the crossman 2000 target???all help appreciated...thanx ricky

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
The Challenger 200 "dedicated" target shooter? I haven't shot one, but have probably read 50 reviews on them over the last few years.

People always seem to agree on the same three of things- a) the t-bolt used to load the valve is a great feature and b) it needs to be 'broken in' by putting a few hundred pellets through it more so than almost all other guns and c) the sights are very good.

Beyond that, I always got the impression the people that didn't like it were the people who had never owned one. The people that did own them always seemed to think they were decent guns- especially once you realize it is a Crosman Co2 rifle- not a German-made FT gun at 3 times the price.

As for competing with PCP guns- if we're talking about 10m target shooting it shouldn't be any sort of issue. If you want the greatest consistency possible- think about bulk feeding it (apparently Mac-1 has (had?) a setup for this.

Like any Co2 gun- they can be upgraded. I believe the 2000 is sold as an "entry level" FT gun and has a velocity of around 480fps. It's all going to be in the plumbing and valving (to get an idea of Crosman's valve setups- look at the "1077 Modification" post in the 'Rifles' area here). I understand that alot of Challenger 2000 owners have gotten them up to 750-ish fps (or around 9ft/lbs). 12ft/lbs is surely obtainable- but perhaps only with some custom-made valve bits/pieces.

Would I buy one? I'd probably have to test-shoot one first and then compare it to a "high end" target rifle to see if it's worth the price. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Oh, one more thing I just though of- apparently you need to get it out of the package and immediately set-up a 10meter target and test it. Despite the fact each Challenger has a test shot target in the box- apparently some have escaped the factory not being able to shoot anyhere near what's on the test target- so you may want to be prepared to exchange it if this happens to you.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:36 am Reply with quote
rixsta
AirGunEric wrote:
The Challenger 200 "dedicated" target shooter? I haven't shot one, but have probably read 50 reviews on them over the last few years.

People always seem to agree on the same three of things- a) the t-bolt used to load the valve is a great feature and b) it needs to be 'broken in' by putting a few hundred pellets through it more so than almost all other guns and c) the sights are very good.

Beyond that, I always got the impression the people that didn't like it were the people who had never owned one. The people that did own them always seemed to think they were decent guns- especially once you realize it is a Crosman Co2 rifle- not a German-made FT gun at 3 times the price.

As for competing with PCP guns- if we're talking about 10m target shooting it shouldn't be any sort of issue. If you want the greatest consistency possible- think about bulk feeding it (apparently Mac-1 has (had?) a setup for this.

Like any Co2 gun- they can be upgraded. I believe the 2000 is sold as an "entry level" FT gun and has a velocity of around 480fps. It's all going to be in the plumbing and valving (to get an idea of Crosman's valve setups- look at the "1077 Modification" post in the 'Rifles' area here). I understand that alot of Challenger 2000 owners have gotten them up to 750-ish fps (or around 9ft/lbs). 12ft/lbs is surely obtainable- but perhaps only with some custom-made valve bits/pieces.

Would I buy one? I'd probably have to test-shoot one first and then compare it to a "high end" target rifle to see if it's worth the price. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Oh, one more thing I just though of- apparently you need to get it out of the package and immediately set-up a 10meter target and test it. Despite the fact each Challenger has a test shot target in the box- apparently some have escaped the factory not being able to shoot anyhere near what's on the test target- so you may want to be prepared to exchange it if this happens to you.
hi eric, your a great help mate, i really do appreciate people like yourself Laughing ...im gonna checkk the crossman 1077...oh and big thanx for the warning out the box...some co2 can be converted to compresed air, is this possible with the 2000...yeah you have it spot on with other simular rifles 3x the price, this is why im interested as it is alot cheaper..i will also be willing to spend on parts to get it to top level 12 ft/ibs my limit and as accurate as possible out to 55yard, if this is achievable..what other budget target style rifles are worth a look at in the crossman 2000 price range??thanx for all your help ricky

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Any Co2 gun can be converted to PCP (compressed air)- some with much less difficulty that others. Things that need to be altered include added a chamber to hold the compressed air- adjusting valve characteristics so that more than 900psi (typical warm Co2 pressure) will allow it to function properly, and ensuring seals won't pop out at the pressure being put through the gun. That being said- most Co2 guns that get converted to compressed air don't get shot at much over 1200psi because of these technical issues.

Keep in mind of course that the idea taking a Co2 gun and converting it to a PCP gun might not get you the best (or most economical) gun for target shooting. Perhaps looking at buying a PCP gun to start with, or a dedicated Co2 FT shooter and leaving it on Co2, then working on enhancing its/their accuracy might be alot easier and cheaper at the end of the day?

As to other guns: The "typical" competition guns used in North America as "entry level" and/or "economical" are most often one of the Daisy Avanti guns:

http://www.daisy.com/shopping/customer/home.php?cat=253

From what I understand of it, the 853C is very popular these days.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
Target PCP's 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi rixsta

This is the new target PCP Airgun from the Airforce range...

http://www.airforceairguns.com/sportair.html

They're currently still developing it at the moment.

I'm not sure when it will be on the shelf to buy.

Hope this helps you anyway!!

Stevie Thumb Up!

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles