Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics » scope issue Goto page 1, 2  Next
scope issue 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:00 am Reply with quote
dummyracer36
i have been shooting my Beeman RS2 daily, roughly 200 shots per day, and in the last couple of days, i have noticed a troublesome issue with the Beeman scope that came with it. it seems the reticle is rotating inside the tube counterclockwise in relation the W/E turrets. to get the vertical reticle to actually be vertical, i have had to rotate the scope about 10 degrees clockwise. has this happened to anyone else? and is there a fix, besides rotating the entire scope?

Dummy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
dummyracer36
after realigning the reticle again this morning i sat on the deck and shot another 200 rounds. the reticle rotated AGAIN! after calling Pyramid Air, they told me that its defective and to call Beeman. closed on saturdays. i tried to realign it one last time, and now the elevation turret is almost TOUCHING the rifle!!! i REALLY hope Beeman customer service takes care of this, as i have had this combo for less than a week. i know its the Chinese made Beeman, but c'mon!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Yup. I can sympathize- but those Chinese-made Beeman's (actually, Marksman's) aren't usually all that great...

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
dummyracer36
the gun itself has been wonderful *knock on wood*.... its just the scope, and after doing some research, its just a relabeled Bushnell... cant find out where they source it from. i have had plenty of cheap scopes, but never had this issue with any of them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Don't take this the wrong way- but I doubt that the scope on a sub-$200 Beeman Chinese-made gun is a Bushnell- probably a Chinese copy of a Bushnell- there are quite a few scope "cloners" in China these days.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
dummyracer36
nothing to take the wrong way, i knew i was rolling the dice with buying the gun combo.

after resetting it, it has rotated even more, this time after 10 shots. it has now rotated just shy of 40 degrees. before i do any more damage, i think i better just put the thing down til monday when i can talk to a Beeman customer service rep.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
dummyracer36
after a little more research, it is a Bushnell Sportsman 3-9 x 32 Target Airgun scope, model # 720038 relabeled with the Beeman name. gave up on tryin to keep the reticle vertical, and reset it using a level in the turret. took 10 shots to zero it back in, and even though the reticle has continued to move, its holding zero. it is now fully an "X" instead of a "cross". so at least i can continue to shoot until i speak with someone at Beeman.

http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_sportsman_72-0038.cfm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
cw
Banned
I sent my 4 year old 3200 in for repair and they sent me a brand new
one free of charge.

Last edited by cw on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
If that doesn't work out a good budget scope for air rifles can be had with the "Winchester" air rifle scope. It's by no means top of the line but works great and stands the jaring a springer will give it. It's about $40 or $50.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:43 am Reply with quote
dummyracer36
think i'll place an order at Pyramid Air for a new Leapers, can always use another scope for the collection...have a Gamo with no scope floating around here somewhere....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Wjy not get one that is rated for a springer? i.e. this one: http://www.tasco.com/single.cfm?s=Riflescopes&family=Golden%20Antler&product=ga3932agd

Which is fairly economical, under $50 almost everywhere, under $40 in alot of places.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
dummyracer36
thats a great idea Eric..... i did a search and a local store has it in stock... my sunday might not be done after all! but one question, are the Leapers scopes not intended for springers?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Leapers are not rated for springers- some people use them on springers (with what degree of long-term success I do not know)- but they are not rated for such.

One problem I have heard alot about with Leapers is that if a scope fails under warranty and they no longer carry the same model to replace it with, you can be asked to take a "forced upgrade"- i.e. you will get a newer, more expensive scope but have to pay the price difference between your original failed scope and the newer one in order to have the warranty fulfilled. I don't know that this is normal, but at least three people have told me about situations like this- all were regarding one of the higher-end Leapers scopes, the 8-32x56 SWAT unit.

Thus my suggestion to stick with scopes that are airgun rated to start with- hopefully less warranty issues to deal with, and no one can be arguing with you if you say it was used on a springer.

Also- just out of curiosity- can you point me in the direction of the evidence that the Beeman-labelled scope is in fact a Bushnell? I want to do some research and see how common this is/isn't.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
dummyracer36
i absolutely did not know that about Leapers scopes!! thanks for the info/warning

i dont have a scanner but i'll take a picture of the included paperwork with the scope rifle combo i received... in small print right after the warranty info it says "scope manufactured by Bushnell" and the number under the gold sticker on the bottom of the scope has is the bushnell model number i posted above.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:20 am Reply with quote
dummyracer36
spoke with a customer service rep at Beeman on monday morning. they are replacing it no questions asked. my only gripe is that i'm stuck paying the shipping to them, but thats standard practice.
dropped into a local mom and pop hardware/gun/feed store for some plumbing parts, and low and behold!! they actually had in the case a tasco airgun scope, model GA3932AGD 3-9x32, for the ridiculously low price of $24 !!!!!!! evidently it was a special order that the guy never came back for.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics