Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » G1 Project Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
cw wrote:
It is much better to be a smart a$$, than a dumbass.

Casey...a smart dumbass best descibes me Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
vAgRaNt
This is easily one of the most interesting and thoroughly informative threads, that I've ever read/followed,
on any topic, on any forum anywhere. I applaud your dedication Sir, to the build, but mostly to the documentation
of your steps and proceedures.

Outstanding! Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Thank you! It's easier to document things when you do one thing at a time. I have a window of 3-4 days between work cycles, enough time for one or two mods. The documentation is also useful for my own purposes. I can easily go back and refer to what I've already done, and if I need help it comes quickly from other AGH members. Hopefully the combination of what I've done and the suggestions I've received will be useful to others.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Salvia, you are such a good Air Gun Mentor…

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
"airgun mentalc...", err, mentor, sorry. Smile

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
"airgun mentalc...", err, mentor, sorry.

Eric, there you go again dredging up old sins. You know full well that I've been fine since they changed my medication after that incident with the mayor's chihuahua and the exploding pellets!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Slavia wrote:
...after that incident with the mayor's chihuahua and the exploding pellets!

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
A slight setback - all of a sudden the accuracy went to heck. Like 2" groups at 10 meters.

I had replaced the Crosman one-piece scope mount with a similar Gamo mount that had elevation adjustment. (I got it cheap.) The pivot is nothing more than a rubber pad clamped by a single screw. The pad isn't even cut symmetrically. The screw loosened, and the pad spun around, permitting the scope to wobble.

I put the original Crosman solid mount back on the gun, and everything improved. Stay away from the adjustable one! It's junk.

This is a 10 meter, 10 shot group (from a rest) with the Crosman mount.
Not too bad for a $70.00 USD gun. Maybe not match quality, but certainly good enough for (find your happy place, Yourdaddyjoe) cans.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:47 am Reply with quote
cw
Banned
Is the fulcrum located at the rubber pad?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
Is the fulcrum located at the rubber pad?

The fulcrum is the rubber pad. So even when functioning as designed, the mount has elasticity. The Crosman mount works perfectly fine; I just wanted one more "gizmo." I'll save the Gamo mount for a future project, and probably screw it together (solid) with shims, if necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
So, back on track after the scope glitch.

Stock mounting screws put a lot of pressure in a small area. Plastic is elastic and brittle, so there is always the risk of cracking with over-tightening. I bedded brass inserts in the stock so that there is direct metal-to-metal contact from the screwhead to the compression tube, and the stress of the joint is distributed over a larger surface area of the (plastic) stock. (Similar in concept to "screw cups.")

The inserts were turned from brass thumb nuts by spinning them on a screw in a drill while shaping them with a Dremel and file:

They were epoxied in place and trimmed on the inside with a Dremel and sandpaper (the proper diameter screw hole was drilled after the epoxy set):

The mounting screw behind the trigger is slightly larger, but the insert was done in the same way:

I noticed that the compression tube would "rock" in the stock depending upon which end was tightened first. This means that tightening the mounting screws would bend the stock, compression tube, or both, so I bedded the action in the stock. I hadn't anticipated doing this, but I had the materials on hand so I went for it.

I used an epoxy cement (for repairing plastic) left over from another project. I scuffed the plastic with sandpaper, and wiped it down with paint thinner. I used ordinary silicone spray as a mold release on the compression tube. I mixed a small amount of the epoxy and found that it turned to taffy after 15 minutes, was no longer sticky after 30 minutes, was still pliable at 45 minutes, and turned hard at one hour.

Epoxy was applied to the plastic and the action was screwed (lightly) to the stock. I started immediately to remove excess epoxy from the outside of the gun with a toothpick. At 30 minutes I "popped" it apart (finger pressure was enough), and started trimming the inside with a pocket knife while it was still pliable.

I have used commercial bedding kits, and they take 10-12 hours. This is quicker, but you have to be diligent and "stay on schedule." Also, this plastic repair epoxy really smells bad - if you ever use it, be sure to have adequate ventilation.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
A couple more things for this week - I tried lapping the bore. Usually they suggest casting a slug in the bore with molten lead, but I employed a slightly different approach.

I rolled a Sheridan .20 cylindrical pellet between two hard flat surfaces until it was slightly bigger than the .177 bore. Then I pushed it into the breech of the bore with my cleaning rod (a plastic covered coat hanger). This sheared off a little ring of lead, but the lead left in the bore fit tight. I put a dab of automotive rubbing compound on it and pushed it back and forth in the bore until I could no longer feel rough spots. (I held my finger over the end so I wouldn't push the pellet out and ruin the groove/land fit.) I finished up with the brass screw crown polish method (and breech crown as well).

You know what? No change in accuracy. The only thing I accomplished was to make a cleaning patch go through smoother.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
cw
Banned
Did you gain any projectile speed from reduced friction?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
Did you gain any projectile speed from reduced friction?

No! In fact I just checked it, and it's down to 895 FPS. Somewhere I lost 20 FPS; I'm thinking it must be the adjustable butt pad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Shocked

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles