Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Clubs/Events/Regional/Political Airgun Issues » Newbie Need Help: Legal Restrictions???
Newbie Need Help: Legal Restrictions??? 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Bigeyes
Hi,

Thanks for a wonderful site with lots of resources. I just purchased a RWS 34 Panther Pro Compact with a 15.75" barrel and is wondering if there are any legal issue regarding barrel length on air rifle. Also if there are any restrictions that I should be aware of for a resident of Las Vegas, Nevada?

This is my first (and definitely not last) air rifle and I definitely do not want to get into any legal issue. Don't educate me on firearms as I am very aware of local/state/federal laws. I need info on air rifle and air gun.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

BE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
nevada as i know is the be all end all gun friendly state.

i don't think you have any concerns.

i shot my burners in vegas 10 years ago and all we did was leave city
limits and find a burm. Twisted Evil

vegas is where i go to buy hi-caps and bring 'em back to commi-fornia.

happy shooting!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Welcome to the forum, Bigeyes!

After doing a brief search, all I can say for sure is that the regulations are long and confusing. Here's a start:
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRSindex/F.html

The only references to barrel length that I could find related to the definition of "concealable." I'm just guessing that a RWS 34 Panther Pro Compact is not going to be your choice for concealed carry.

I saw some definitions for "firearm" that specified "combustion" or "explosion" as the means of propulsion - which means air guns aren't covered by those laws. Some others (like the law prohibiting you from bringing a gun into a school) define a "firearm" as using compressed gas for propulsion.

Add to that the fact that your local jurisdictions can regulate the discharge of guns. My town is like that - it is illegal to discharge an airgun anywhere within the city limits. Should I ever (hypothetically) wish to shoot in my basement I would have to declare it an educational exercise and get city council permission, or black out the windows so the secret BB police can't see me.

Is there a LEO that you can trust to give you a straight answer?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Bigeyes
sniper wrote:

vegas is where i go to buy hi-caps and bring 'em back to commi-fornia.

happy shooting!

Blahhh blahhhhh...blahhhh. I am not listening. Rolling Eyes

Seriously, once I moved away from CA back in 2002, I never look back once. I am seriously into firearms and CA is as you stated "commi-fornia".

BE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
Bigeyes
Slavia wrote:
Welcome to the forum, Bigeyes!

After doing a brief search, all I can say for sure is that the regulations are long and confusing. Here's a start:
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRSindex/F.html

The only references to barrel length that I could find related to the definition of "concealable." I'm just guessing that a RWS 34 Panther Pro Compact is not going to be your choice for concealed carry.

I saw some definitions for "firearm" that specified "combustion" or "explosion" as the means of propulsion - which means air guns aren't covered by those laws. Some others (like the law prohibiting you from bringing a gun into a school) define a "firearm" as using compressed gas for propulsion.

Add to that the fact that your local jurisdictions can regulate the discharge of guns. My town is like that - it is illegal to discharge an airgun anywhere within the city limits. Should I ever (hypothetically) wish to shoot in my basement I would have to declare it an educational exercise and get city council permission, or black out the windows so the secret BB police can't see me.

Is there a LEO that you can trust to give you a straight answer?

Thanks for the very useful info. Yes, I am a CCW holder and I am very aware of local/state/federal laws (I have a C&R FFL and a few SBRs). Lateley I am beginning to develop interest in airgun (tired of high prices in reloading components and factory ammo). I read lots of reviews on the RWS 34 and hopefully I made the right decision to go with the RWS 34 Panther pro compact (it's on sale with a special price of $247 from Airgun of Arizona).

While we're at it, can you recommend some good quality pellets?

Thanks

BE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
While we're at it, can you recommend some good quality pellets?

I like RWS. JSB has a lot of followers. Really, the best pellet is the one that shoots straight in your gun. Try as many kinds as you can.

On the plus side, a springer will take 800-1000 rounds to break in, so you have time to experiment.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Clubs/Events/Regional/Political Airgun Issues