Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Airmagnum 850 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Airmagnum 850 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
This week I will take a shoot with the Umarex Airmagun 850, which is pretty much the same gun as the Walther Dominator. The difference is that the Dominator is a PCP, and much more expensive, and a lot worse looking.

I'll keep you updated on any news about my little gun, and when I'll get i, I'll post some pictures too.

Ow yeah, I've heard it's tuned and good for 50 Meter shoots Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
For sure- keep us updated. I've never seen a review of an 850 AirMagnum.

I am a bit confused though about the Walther Dominator being alot worse looking? They seem identical except that the 1250 Dominator has the pcp reservoir hanging out the front?

Either way, tell us how it performs!

The Walther 1250 Dominator:

The Umarex 850 AirMagnum:

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Hi

Your sure right about the only difference between the two is the reservoir on the Walther!

Yeah I think I prefer the Umarex Airmagnum 850 better though.

Don't forget to post your pics and review when you've got it and put a few shots through it.

Stevie Thumb Up!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:55 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
I surely will.

I did have a shoot with the gun, about 15 pellets at 10 meters, and it performed quite well, for first looks and tries. Of course, it will take a bit of time and testing before my grouping will be better, and it's basically just a really expensive plinker. At 50 meters.

End of the month, it shall be mine.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote
katchenup
I recently bought the RWS 850 & I'm totally impressed. I bought the combo with the Walther scope & it's nearly dead on out of the box !!! I've already shot well over 100 shots thanks to the 8 shot rotary magazine & ease of use !!! It also only weighs a little over 5 pounds !!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
I will soon start posting groups on 10, 20 and 40 meters. Then it'll really prove itself.

katchenup, do you also own the 16 joule version?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
katchenup
I'm not sure?? I'm fairly (okay, real new) to this stuff, Jim
Also, since I'm NEW , do you know anything about the Diana 300r ? jim

Last edited by katchenup on Sun May 06, 2007 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Hm, try to read a bit more about the gun then. It's quite a good gun and it would be a bit silly to not know much about it.

I take it you have a manual, it's not in there for nothing Wink

What caliber do you shoot? 4.5 or 5.5 (.177 or .22)

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
katchenup
Heaven forbid I would make the mistake of telling someone I'm NEW !!! That way they don't have to answer the question about the joule version !! They can just tell me how silly I am to not read my manual !!!! I may be new, but I know this site said it was a Forum, not Dr. Phil !!!! Jim

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
I think we've hit a point of confusion- Broommaster was asking if katchenup has the 16joule version- which, depending on where you are located may not mean alot (a Joule is equal to about 1.235fpe)-so a "16 joule" gun would be one of approximately 20 foot-pounds-of-energy output. And typically, this is the sort of "spec" information available in the owners manual that would come with it.

However- when someone is accustomed to Standard measurements or Metric measurements and not the other- this sort of misunderstanding pops up frequently. Some of us have been forced to be confused by both systems for most of our lives. Wink

Edit: Dang- I just did it too and got the conversion backwards: It's a foot-pound is equal to about 1.357 Joules- so a 16 joule gun would be around 12fpe! Slow and Out There

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Is 12 FPE a good thing? Shocked

It's illegal in germany so it must be!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
broommaster2000 wrote:
Is 12 FPE a good thing? Shocked

It's illegal in germany so it must be!

Illegal in Canada without a "firearm" permit, and 12fpe is the maximum allowable output of a gun in the UK before it's classified as a "firearm" as well.

Lots of countries seem to view airguns as dangerous weapons unless they're made with see-through plastic and shoot less than 75m/s (220fps)!

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:57 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Well, it's not called "magnum" for nothing. I blew through a can at 30 meters today. The first shot! I was just checking if it could do it, and bam! Poor can. Probably a lucky shot though. I don't want whole the neighbourhood on my a$$.

The next time that I'll go to a serious shoot, I'll take pictures of the "targets".

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:33 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Okay, so no pictures yet, but a little update.

The Aimagnum is totally worth it's cash. Plinking at close range is a bit hard since the scope is set to about 20 meters. I hope to get a bit more experienced with that soon. I'm gonna try setting it today for close range. It's to bad that I don't have a long range to shoot every week, only once a month, but in the future that will be better.

Back to the plinking. Plastic spoons are fun. If I mis them they still move or drop down. It's very hard to miss though.

Cocking it is also a great feeling. It's very smooth. I cleaned it too, resulting in the cocking a bit more smoothly.

The gun also has had a trigger tune. I've been told that it wasn't very predictable at first. It's certainly not the case now. I can feel exactly when it's going to go. The difference with a Norconia B2 can be seen in the amount of cash spend on them. The B2 was abou 20 euro's. The (second handed) 850 was around 250, as I think I stated before.

Exchanging the Airsources (it eats the crosman airsources quite easily) is child's play too. No problems with that. I think it's worth to note that the airsource bears about 300-350 shots. The last ones will bounce back, and it's also very much depending on the weather.

The scope I got with it is very nice too. It's quite sharp, and it seems easily adjustable but I still have to check that a bit more thoroughly. I'll do that today too.

Right now I've only used Gamo Pro-Magnum to shoot with. Next time I'll try flatheads and see what happens then.

Overall it's a gun that feels very sturdy, despite the "plastic". I like the looks a bit better now. It seems as while it is proving it's worth it's becoming better looking. Maybe that's just me being in love. If you are looking for a good airgun, get one of these, replace the airsource attachment with something that is not made out of rubber and it's good to go. The trigger is also adjustable, but I hardly know much about that kind of stuff.

From what I've seen this gun owns any other lower priced CO2. It's miles from the 1077 from what I heard. I hope to try that anytime soon if there's a shoot somewhere. Right now I'm gonna load up my 850 and shoot some cans.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:26 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Little update:

Taking the gun apart is piece of cake. I think it'll be quite easy to make a nice wooden stock. Mr. Green

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles