Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » The carriage of airgun parts banned!
The carriage of airgun parts banned! 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Over here in the UK we have just been told by the Royal Mail that they will not carry any firearms airgun or parts from November 2012.

This will completely F*ck up the whole airgun business over here, the only place you will be able to get parts pellets scopes etc will be from a shop, at the moment things like barrels compression tubes rifles pistols etc have to be collected from a firearms dealer who has a licence to sell the same.

This will put the shooting fraternity in turmoil, it will effect custom part makers, Chambers say they will have to shut down, so you can see this is a crisis.

I know most of the members of AirGunHome live in the States or Canada, and this doesn’t effect them but it effects around one million UK shooters.

A despondent Al

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
HallisChalmers
That's a sad state of affairs. I like buying stuff from the boys at GMAC, so this will seriously affect their business.

Is there any move by UK airgunners to fight this?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Hopefully if enough people raise a stink they will change their minds. GO for it Al!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
mod90
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It seems to me that sport shooters around the world are continuously being dealt the short end of the stick. I feel for you Al Crying or Very sad
Do you know the reason why they're stopping? Could it be an insurance issue? Or just a government's bad judgment call?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
HallisChalmers
We do have the BASC (British Association of Shooting Conservation) with a 12000 members, making out a case to stop new rules.
Companies like GMAC and there are a lot of them can use private carriers but the delivery cost would treble.

oddtodd
There will be a lot of protesting not only by air gunners but also suppliers and dealers. This directive also covers firearms and shotguns.

mod90
The main reason is that Guns are anti-social because of the gangs of young black kids that have Firearms and go around on cycles shooting each other, and anyone who gets in the way, and airguns get lumped in with powder burners. Also the Royal Mail is now being privatised and the guy in charge thinks it is morally wrong to ship guns and spares, the daft thing about this is that only licensed dealers can ship and receive guns and parts anyway, the public has to collect any items from them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
This is the E-Mail I received from T W Chambers & Co. Any one who buys from the UK it would be appreciated if you would send an e-mail off to the address below supporting our protest.

Al

The Royal Mail are proposing changes to ban the posting of firearms, air guns and component parts. This will affect all of our customers if these proposals go through and may result in the closure of T W Chambers and many other UK based gun shops as there is no other alternative service to ship your orders.
Please see the Royal Mail link below and respond to it before the 17th Sept 2012. As customers who rely on the Royal Mail to ship your orders to you, then you would be entitled to respond to these proposals. Overseas customers please also respond.
Please email your responses to zoe.allchorn@royalmail.com and cc it also to martin.anderson@royalmail.com

Link to Royal Mail proposals, http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/Proposals_to_prohibit_Firearms_from_postal_services.pdf

Thank You.

T W Chambers & Co

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Quote:
many other UK based gun shops as there is no other alternative service to ship your orders.

Is this really the case? No Fedex, UPS etc etc.

Our post here is often significantly more than shipping private carrier.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
I emailed the Royal Mail asking them to reconsider.... Fine quality UK guns and parts will become unavailable in Canada.... etc.etc.etc....

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
SMP wrote:
Is this really the case? No Fedex, UPS etc etc.

That is the question- Royal Mail can do whatever it likes- as long as your law hasn't changed, then the private carriers should have no issue transporting parts unless they already have their own ridiculous internal policies.

If this is just a Royal Mail policy- unless they are going to start x-raying every internal package, I don't see as how this will stop much- do people "declare" what's in a package going from Poulton-Le-Fylde to Manchester?- although businesses in the "gun" industry might be affected and would be forced to go with an independent courier of some sort.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:51 am Reply with quote
Alstone
It now appears that the reason the Post Office is doing this is that under a new law that came out four years ago? This states the all firearms including airguns and parts must be transported in a safe and secure manner. The Post Office says it cannot provide this level of security for all mail. (They have been doing this for the last four years and breaking the law with no problems.) they will take guns from a company that has a contract with them to ship by secure means, but this no good for an individual who needs to return a faulty gun etc.

We have FedEx and UPS plus a load of others, UPS stopped shipping Guns two years ago but I believe they have started again, FedEx is no problem, and I suppose others will ship also but these are expensive compared to Royal Mail. This is more so when they have to collect from the sender, something like a bolt for a Crosman $3.00 to send in the UK by RM, by FedEx $12.00

Another thing is that lots of people buy from abroard and the sender sends it by the local post office, as soon as it gets here the Royal Mail takes over, so what happens then?

So I don’t know it seems to be one almighty cock-up!

Al

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Well.....

I'll bet their will be a lot of turkey basters sent to Mrs Hazel Longbottom.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:59 am Reply with quote
garththomas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just received in the mail some parts from gmac in England and there was no mention of any restrictions

The carriage of airgun parts banned! 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics