Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » I've Found the Rifle!
I've Found the Rifle! 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
wadcutter
Suspended
Hello,

I'm going to dismiss the Benjamin Trail NP2 and the Ruger Yukon as the two rifles I was going to decide between, and introduce the .22 cal Umarex Octane as the one I think I'm going to get.

It comes with all the features I want:

Gas Piston
Noise Suppressor
3-9X 40mm AO scope w/Duplex Reticle (which I prefer)
Weaver Scope Rails
Fiber Optic Sights
Automatic Safety
26 FPE Muzzle Energy from several lead pellets
Thumbs Up from professional airgun reviewers and owners
Three Year Warranty
Price of only $219.95, which I'm embarrased to admit...makes me seem cheap!

This is a true hunting airgun, but I don't hunt or even target shoot seriously...my interest is Destructive Plinking over my home 50-yard range.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
Wadcutter

Last edited by wadcutter on Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would suggest saving up a bit more and going for quality.
Like an RWS 34 or higher.

Reflect Jesus Christ-Not your surroundings.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
wadcutter
Suspended
ROBW,

You advised me previously on what to buy.

I don't have to save up for anything...I bought an Air Arms TX200 Mk III not long ago and didn't like it for my purpose, so I returned it.

Cost has never been an object for me in any of my hobbies.

Wadcutter Hal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cool!, Tesla coils and or replicas. I dig Tesla!

Reflect Jesus Christ-Not your surroundings.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
Bob La Londe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you mean Rick Eutslers review of the Umarex Octane watch it again where he doesn't say,

I heard some folks had problems but they went thru the one they sent me by hand so I didn't have any problems.

Seriously the Umarex Octane sounds like a fun gun, but its a beast of a springer. Nitro piston or no you may not be able to keep a scope on it. That much power means a serious wollop of springer double recoil. It very well might might benefit from a tune from an airgunsmith.

Another option in your price area (although you say price is not an issue) if you want to stay with a springer is to buy a Chinese Xisico from Flying Dragon pretuned. Mike offers them as box stock, basic tune, or full tune tear down and reassembly at different price ranges. I'ld buy one with a full tune if I wanted another springer.

I also question using a springer as a 50 yard gun, but I know it can be done. I've been having problems with birds eating the plants in my winter garden and I made a lucky 68 yard shot a couple days ago with one of those beast heavy magnum force springers I don't like. I knocked one of my fence with the Hatsan 155 and followed up with a finishing shot on the ground at the same range. I guessed holdover and hit him on the first shot. The follow up confirmed I was in the zone for those few seconds. Its hard to shoot though. I absolutely can't see the target after I fire because of the recoil.

More seriously though. If cost is no issue why don't you want to go PCP with a good fill station? I've got three. All have better out of the box triggers than any of my springers. All shoot fairly well on paper.

1. B50 in .177 getting ready to change over to .22. First 8-10 shots are over 1000 FPS with 10.5 grain pellets. Shoots dead on right out of the box. Longest kill shot 30 yards. Its not a repeater so I don't use it as much anymore even though it shoots easiest for me off hand. It might actually be my most accurate gun, but I have not adjusted the tune at all. I shoot it as it came out of the box. When I change it to .22 I'll spend some time adjusting it for a nice bell curve. I fill this gun to 3000 and shoot down to about 1500 for around 30 shots I think. At 1500 its still putting out those 10.5s at over 900 fps. I think its a serious candidate for some flow improvements and tuning when I am ready.

2. MROD .177 regulated @ 2000 PSI for 25 shots around 930 w/ 10.5 grain pellets. Kill shots at 68 yards and 74 yards. Hits for depredation abatement at upto 112 yards. Longest range shots took multiple shots, and shots to gage windage and elevation.

3. MROD .25 tuned for 14 shots from 900-930-900 with 25.4 grain pellets. Longest kill shot 70 yards on the first shot. Just guessed hold over and squeezed. I plan to cut this gun up and put a bottle on it for a higher shot count and retune it for a heavier pellet at around the same speed.

On the other hand. The Octane might be just the gun for you. Only you will know for sure. If you buy it from PyramidAir or Airgun Depot they have a very liberal return policy. (They are also basically the same company. Same owner anyway.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
wadcutter
Suspended
ROBW,

There are no Tesla Coils pictured on my post.

I gave them up long ago when I realized that lethal voltages are present in the PRIMARY circuit. I could have been killed many times from the 6o Hz, 15KV neon sign transformer energizing source.

The million-volt secondary high frequency discharges are spectacular, but harmless, as they do not travel through the body endangering vital areas, but travel over the skin in currents of mere microamperes.

What you see is a 1.16-million-volt Van de Graaff Electrostatic Generator that I designed and built myself, even machining the crowned pulleys on my lathe. Unlike the Tesla Coil, it produces high voltage Direct Current discharges.

The other items are ground discharge terminals for obtaining the arc.

Thanks for your comments.
Wadcutter

Last edited by wadcutter on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
wadcutter
Suspended
HEY BOB,

I owned a PCP gun for a short time, but didn't like it. (Top rifle in picture)

I felt it was cheating to shoot pellets that were energized from a 3000 psi tank that was filled by something that wasn't of my own muscle.

If you and others think it would be risky going with the Octane, then I guess I could re-think the Benjamin Trail NP2, which showed some good video performance by Paul Capello putting shots in a 1-inch circle from 35 yards, and knocking down metal sillhoutettes at 65 yards, with 19-21 FPE being generated.

That's enough proof of an acceptable plinker for me!

[Oh yeah...I owned an English Webley Patriot, an RWS 460 Magnum, an Air Arms TX200 Mk III, and I still own a Beeman R7, which I'll give to my grandkids when they come out to visit from Chicago this summer.]

HAPPY NEW YEAR (again)
Wadcutter Hal

Last edited by wadcutter on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Bob La Londe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
wadcutter wrote:
HEY BOB,

I owned a PCP gun for a short time, but didn't like it. (Top rifle in picture)

I felt it was cheating to shoot pellets that were energized from a 3000 psi tank that was filled by something that wasn't of my own muscle.

If you and others think it would be risky going with the Octane, then I guess I could re-think the Benjamin Trail NP2, which showed some good video performance by Paul Capello putting shots in a 1-inch circle from 35 yards, and knocking down metal sillhoutettes at 65 yards, with 19-21 FPE being generated.

That's enough proof of an acceptable plinker for me!

HAPPY NEW YEAR (again)
Wadcutter Hal

You can always hand pump. I do sometimes. I do also have a Freedom 8 compressor.

I might be tempted to try an Octane or an NP2 if I accounted the cost of return shipping into the equation. I was just so unhappy with my NP that I am a little gun shy.

Here is Pyramid Air's return policy:
Quote:
Exchange/Refund policy
Within 30 days of receipt of your order, you may return any item in new condition along with its original packaging and any accessories for a full product refund.
We do not refund any shipping charges. Items that are pre-owned, not in original packaging or otherwise not in new, salable condition are subject to a minimum 15 percent (15%) restocking fee.
Do not attempt to disassemble any items. Attempts to change the appearance or function of any item you purchased from us will void the warranty and your right to return the product for a full refund.
If you just want to exchange an item, please indicate that in the space available at the bottom of your invoice.
All exchanges and refunds will be processed within 2 weeks from the moment we receive all item(s) back.
Please write the reason for your return and your phone number in the space available at the bottom of your invoice. Keep a copy of the invoice for your records.
Enclose the slip in the carton, wrap the package securely, and send it to the following address:
Pyramyd Air
5135 Naiman Parkway
Solon, OH 44139
If you have any questions, please call us at 216-896-0893"

Wal-Mart also sells the Octane and Walmart also has a liberal 90 DAY return policy with only a few exceptions. Airgunsa do not appear to be on their list of exceptions. http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9/kw/return%20policy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
wadcutter
Suspended
HEY BOB,

I know about the PA return policy...I bought 4 guns and 2 scopes from Greg, and returned 2 rifles with no problems. (The problems were with the guns!)

WADCUTTER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Bob La Londe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
wadcutter wrote:
HEY BOB,

I know about the PA return policy...I bought 4 guns and 2 scopes from Greg, and returned 2 rifles with no problems. (The problems were with the guns!)

WADCUTTER

Well give one a shot, shoot the heck out of it, and lets us know what YOU think.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
wadcutter
Suspended
I'll think about it...but right now I'm at the Amtrack station waiting for the 3:10 to Yuma.

Wadcutter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Bob La Londe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
wadcutter wrote:
I'll think about it...but right now I'm at the Amtrack station waiting for the 3:10 to Yuma.

Wadcutter

You are a real Tony Dinozo. LOL.

I've Found the Rifle! 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles