Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » .25 cal 48 gr. BBT HP Exit Wounds
.25 cal 48 gr. BBT HP Exit Wounds 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
After my BC testing, I then proceeded out to the ranch where I do my Varmint hunting.... I wanted to see how the 47.8 gr. NOE HP Bob's Boattail performed.... All I can say is, that headshots are no longer required, in fact the recovery rate is greater with a shot to the chest.... Not only do you have a much bigger target, but the bullet does a huge amount of damage as it passed through the quarry.... accompanied by a large spray of blood, clearly visible in the scope, and a loud WHACK! as the bullet hits.... Here are the exit wounds on a Marmot and a Ground Squirrel, both taken at about 50 yards....

I didn't do a lot of accuracy testing today, due to limited time.... I found that all my boattails (both LBT and NOE) outshot the Lyman ACP rounds at 50 yards, with groups running just over 1".... I didn't do any fine tuning of either velocity or the Air Stripper, so I have no doubt that can be improved.... but it was good enough to test the bullets on live game.... All in all, I'm very pleased with the results.... Anyone want to buy my Lyman 57902 mould with HP conversion?.... ;D

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:15 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Nice work. Do the newer rounds appear to be getting more accurate (I assume they are being 'tuned' a bit as time goes on)?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:50 am Reply with quote
rsterne
They seem to be working OK, like any projectile in airguns, getting them to match the barrel seems critical.... I'm not as yet getting the accuracy of my best pellets, but better than most.... Some guys are getting hole on hole at 50 yards, so the potential is obviously there.... The experienced bullet shooters claim that finding the best diameter (through sizing) for your barrel is the key, and velocity can be important, just as with pellets, because of barrel vibration (harmonics).... The fact that to get the power required we tend to go to longer barrels, combined with airgun barrels tend to be skinny, makes them more prone to vibration problems.... Carbon Fibre sleeving, or larger OD barrels, are becoming more common as FPE increases....

Bob

.25 cal 48 gr. BBT HP Exit Wounds 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting