Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition » Daisy 880 10M target.
Daisy 880 10M target. 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well since I am disallowed in this months contest hear is my target. Daisy 880 shot at 10 meters, Winchester domed pellets. I am a bit disappointed with my shooting on this one, though I am not afraid to show my bad shooting sessions. Besides it would be cheating to reshoot another target.

That is two shots per target. All but 5 shots landed in the 9 ring, 4 in the 8 ring and the one in the 10 ring, for a total of 141. I must admit that the ten ring on this target is about half the size that my targets have. The dot that says 12mm dia actually measures 10mm in diameter..

Edited to correct error.

Last edited by DavidSaunders on Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ok with all of the people that were trying to say that you can not get reasonable off hand shots with the Daisy 880, and no replies???

So now that the evidence is shown for the accuracy of the Daisy 880 with off hand shooting every one is suddenly quite?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
BravoDeltaII
DavidSaunders wrote:
Ok with all of the people that were trying to say that you can not get reasonable off hand shots with the Daisy 880, and no replies???

So now that the evidence is shown for the accuracy of the Daisy 880 with off hand shooting every one is suddenly quite?

I will dare say I hope I can get to that level! Fantastic shooting Mr. Saunders. Clap Clap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sorry for the miscount above. I have 4 in the 8 ring, 11 in the 9 ring and 1 in the 10 ring. That means that I have (4*8)+(11*9)+10=141 for that target.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
BravoDeltaII
DavidSaunders wrote:
Sorry for the miscount above. I have 4 in the 8 ring, 11 in the 9 ring and 1 in the 10 ring. That means that I have (4*8)+(11*9)+10=141 for that target.

I would take that count any day!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
BravoDeltaII wrote:
DavidSaunders wrote:

I thank you. Though that is terrible shooting for me. I think I was a bit nervous do to the trash talk in the contest thread.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:38 am Reply with quote
BravoDeltaII
DavidSaunders wrote:
BravoDeltaII wrote:
DavidSaunders wrote:

I thank you. Though that is terrible shooting for me. I think I was a bit nervous do to the trash talk in the contest thread.

I understand!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ok every one has no problem giving me heck when I ask a question of fairness on the competition thread, though yet they say nothing when I post a target. This seems confusing to me.

So do I post future targets, or just figure that no one is going to pay attention to the man that shoots a Daisy 880 accurately, oh dear...?

Just because my super accurate gun cost me $45.00 plus about $2.00 in modifications for accuracy and additional power does not make it any less capable than any of the $500.00 PCP guns, or the $300.00 10 meter SSP rifles.

And even though my gun is a "lowly Daisy 880" I still practice every day, with out fail. And I know the kind of groups this gun can get out at 50 yards and even 100 yards, so is it really that surprising to see a reasonable target at 10 meters with a Daisy 880? Most ten meter guns would never stand a chance at 50 yards and even less so at 100 yards.

And the High dolor PCP's that do deliver good accuracy at distance are way out of my price range ($1500++).

So for good accuracy I go to my Daisy 880, as it is the most accurate gun I have at this time. Before I converted it into a 1389 my main 2289 was second best, though it was still way behind the Daisy 880. And once I finish my 1389 I am sure that it will be the second best gun in my collection for accuracy.

And I almost forgot to say:
With the almost zero cost modifications that I made to my Daisy 880 it shoots above 758FPS with 9.8 grain pellets. So it is a high power .177 cal AirGun.

See:
My Daisy 880, is there even more power in it?
For more information on my Daisy 880.

Also as long as you get a good one, they come from the factory able to shoot a 7.4 grain pellet at over 720FPS on 12 pumps. So they are a mid range power gun in there stock condition. Yes I know that there are the low end Daisy 880's out there from the bottom end of QC, that is OK because Daisy is good about exchanging guns that come up short..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:28 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I'm not saying YOU have a bad daisy. you have an an exceptionally good one. I just personally don't like daisy rifles. I do like their avanti rifles. and I like their pistols. My stepson has an OLD daisy that I am getting ready to rebuild for him. Know why I like it? It has a metal reciever. It's just that every daisy I have ever dealt with from 12 on up has been junk for me. From my friends when I was a kid (my dad would only buy me crosman) to the one I bought for my 12 year old son and the pump arm broke twice in 5 weeks. THat is why I got my money back and bought him the bugout kit. it was twice the price, but I feel like I got twice the rifle. Every daisy rifle I have gotten has been a lemon. THat is why I hate them so much. I am glad you are having good luck with yours, but theyare just not for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Also, My original post wasn;t really directed at you David. I had tried to help another poster several times with his beemanand he traded it in for a daisy and expected it to do the same thing. There was at least a 300 fps difference in the two rifles and he wasn't willing to try anything that anyone posted. He would just coplain about the poor results he was getting. It seemed stupid to me to trade a 300 break barrel for a 40 dollar pumper and then brag about all the extra pellets and bbs he got with it. BBs are a big no no to me in anything except a bb gun. you know, smooth bore etc. I basically told him he was going to ruin his gun and I wasn't going to help him any more. You have to understand, there were 20 posts like this. He traded in the beeman because he couldn't get the iron sights to hold true when he admitted he was going to use a scope on it. I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot, and I will try to be more understanding in the future. Everybody has their preferences, and My favorite, most accurate gun is my crosman Titan 22. I can hit the 9 ring all day with that bad boy at 10 meters. I also love it because I can hit the off switch on a nutter 24 out 25 times any day. If I don't then I wound him badly enough to get my second shot and take him out. I just don't have a rifle capapble range right now. All I can shoot is my pistols, and I have to wait till it warms up a little bit more to get the consistency out of my CO2. Anyway, I will quit knocking your choice of rifles, because you are obviously a good tuner and can make them work well. I just get tired of guys who aren't willing to do the work to get the results, ya know?[/b]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:25 am Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
oddtodd wrote:
I'm not saying YOU have a bad daisy. you have an an exceptionally good one. I just personally don't like daisy rifles. I do like their avanti rifles. and I like their pistols. My stepson has an OLD daisy that I am getting ready to rebuild for him. Know why I like it? It has a metal reciever. It's just that every daisy I have ever dealt with from 12 on up has been junk for me.

Well there are bad ones as well as good ones.

I prefer the plastic outer receiver. This is because the metal receiver will form groves where the pellet is slid into place a lot faster than the metal plastic receiver. I do like that even the current Daisy 880 has the good hard metal slot for the breach proper.
Quote:

From my friends when I was a kid (my dad would only buy me crosman) to the one I bought for my 12 year old son and the pump arm broke twice in 5 weeks.

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately the QC lotto applies to Crosman guns now as well as Daisy Guns, and in some areas more to the Crosman guns.

If you do not mind my asking: What broke on your sons Daisy 880?

I have had to recrown every newer Crosman barrel that I have. I have not yet had to recrown a Daisy barrel.
Quote:

THat is why I got my money back and bought him the bugout kit. it was twice the price, but I feel like I got twice the rifle.

The Crosman 2289g is definitely a good gun, as long as you get one on the good side of QC. I like both of mine (I changed one over to .177 making it a 1389). Though to get any where near the power of the Daisy 880 you end up spending a lot of time tuning (I know I did on both of mine). And I can shoot my Daisy 880 all day long, My 2289 and 1389 where me out from pumping after about 200 shots in a session.
Quote:

Every daisy rifle I have gotten has been a lemon. THat is why I hate them so much. I am glad you are having good luck with yours, but theyare just not for me.

I can understand how getting a few lemons will leave a bad taste. And it takes some time to exchange them through Daisy until you get a good one.

Thank you for getting back to me on that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
oddtodd wrote:
Also, My original post wasn;t really directed at you David. I had tried to help another poster several times with his beeman and he traded it in for a daisy and expected it to do the same thing.

Ouch.
Quote:

There was at least a 300 fps difference in the two rifles and he wasn't willing to try anything that anyone posted. He would just coplain about the poor results he was getting. It seemed stupid to me to trade a 300 break barrel for a 40 dollar pumper and then brag about all the extra pellets and bbs he got with it.

BB's are BAD. The Daisy 880 is a pellet gun. It is only capable of using BB's because of Daisy's bregging rites in BB guns. I wish that they would make it clearly a pellet only rifle.
Quote:

BBs are a big no no to me in anything except a bb gun. you know, smooth bore etc. I basically told him he was going to ruin his gun and I wasn't going to help him any more. You have to understand, there were 20 posts like this. He traded in the beeman because he couldn't get the iron sights to hold true when he admitted he was going to use a scope on it. I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot, and I will try to be more understanding in the future. Everybody has their preferences, and My favorite, most accurate gun is my crosman Titan 22. I can hit the 9 ring all day with that bad boy at 10 meters. I also love it because I can hit the off switch on a nutter 24 out 25 times any day.

Like you have had bad experiences with Daisy 880's I have had equally bad experiences with multiple springers. Mostly in the area of needing to repair them often. For me springers are a nightmare.
Quote:

If I don't then I wound him badly enough to get my second shot and take him out.

I have not had a two shot kill in a long long time. I learned young to make 100% sure of the kill shot before taking it. That is a big part of why I practice so much, 1 shot 1 clean kill all of the time requires accurate shot placement. As such it has been many years since my last two shot kill.
Quote:

I just don't have a rifle capapble range right now. All I can shoot is my pistols, and I have to wait till it warms up a little bit more to get the consistency out of my CO2. Anyway, I will quit knocking your choice of rifles, because you are obviously a good tuner and can make them work well. I just get tired of guys who aren't willing to do the work to get the results, ya know?[/b]

I definitely understand that. If you want a good gun you have to be willing to give it some TLC.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
THe 880 I got for my son kept breaking the pump arm at the front pivot. I had taught him how to do it properly and he was. Hus mother even watched him out of the window a few times to make sure when I wasn't around. Diasy sent me a new one with no problems and I replaced it myself. (My dad has his FFL so I used his permit number as a gunsmith to get it under waranty) But after the second one broke in the exact same spot I sent it back. I don't know why they broke, He was careful with the gun. It was his pride and joy. He went through 1000 pellets in 2 weeks! He bout broke me on that one. Now I limit him to 500 a month on the bugout. I just can't afford that kind of shooting. lol But there isn't a single rat left in the barn. I put white dots on his sights so he could see them better in the barn and he literally cleaned it out. I'm going to put a steel breech on it for him when I save up enough money and put a scope on it. He is deadly to any kind of vermin though! lol Even the starlings are staying away from the new plantings. He lives on a farm and I go see my three boys every sunday and shoot with them, but he is addicted like I was. He is 13, 5'4 and 190. He can bale hay better than most 16 year olds. His grandfather was a mason and he was 6'5 and 300 lbs, so I figure my boy is going to take after him. Here's a pic of my two sons and my grandson.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
dude, i Hate to tell you this, but I beat you by one point. with a BBpistol. It was a IPSC competition top of the line pistol, but it still shoots BBs. And it's a pistol. When I get my Titan finished, interested in a little friendly competition?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
oddtodd wrote:
dude, i Hate to tell you this, but I beat you by one point. with a BBpistol. It was a IPSC competition top of the line pistol, but it still shoots BBs. And it's a pistol. When I get my Titan finished, interested in a little friendly competition?

Yes I would be. Though at this monment I am stuck with only 15 yards for punching paper (all the longer stuff is plinking and hunting). Ij you wait till I get my new land we can look at a 75 yard competition.

Now that may be a BB Pistol, though it is at the high end. I am impressed with that shooting.

As for a 75 yard competition once I can get the range, we shall need some rules. I suggest the following:
Bipod and leaning rests only.
75 yards from target, at the muzzle.
Outdoors.
3 sessions on consecutive days.
Any scope/sight is allowed.

Any thoughts, changes?

I am not sure how long it will be for me to be able to have a target range set up again, it could be as long as 6 months. I hope that you do not mind waiting.

I noticed that there is not a competition for this month at the normal 10 meter, why did they stop that? I was going to set up for it.
Daisy 880 10M target. 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition