Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » BB Guns » 2015-2016 5m BB getting underway in GA. Goto page 1, 2  Next
2015-2016 5m BB getting underway in GA. 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
shawn706
I got demoted to head coach late last year. Same pay more responsibility. Had a good turnout, and if all the new kids stick with the program I should have 2 teams this year. First new shooter practice was good, no one missed the target box, and had a few with high 90s. This is of course on bench rest. I'll be teaching the prone and standing positions tonight, with sitting and kneeling to follow Thursday. I'll be combining them with the returning shooters in a few weeks. Only one aged out from last year so we look to be no less competitive. Wish me luck and as always any advise is welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Somewhere I read about a strategy where you do benchrest first, to teach trigger pull. Then you do just a bit of offhand, because it's tough and the kids will get frustrated. Then you do prone, sitting, and kneeling. Compared to offhand those positions are pretty easy, so the kids are happy and catch on quickly. Then you come back to offhand. By this time the kids have accumulated enough skill that it seems easier than the first time, and the kids sail through it.

I was once a 4H shooting coach, and am now a hunter safety instructor. It's a heck of a lot of work and responsibility, and it makes me feel tired and energized at the same time. Be safe and don't forget to have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:08 am Reply with quote
shawn706
That's pretty spot on to how we start them. All new shooter get a 3 night trial before we ask for commitment to the team. First night bench rest, 2nd we teach prone, and standing at a reduced distance, and the third we do sitting an kneeling, also at a reduced distance. On commitment night we have the returning shooter shoot a couple of position while the new shooters and parents stand back and watch and ask question while my lead coaches point out important aspects of what the more experienced group is doing and why. The next couple of practices are new shooter only on one night, and returning on another. Had a good start last night.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:09 am Reply with quote
Slavia
What's your mix of girls and boys? Two years ago our hunter safety class was more girls for the first time. My feeling is that girls are easier to coach, because they don't come through the door with Rambo fantasies in their heads. They learn it correctly from the start.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
shawn706
In the past it's been about 50/50. This season only one girl has came in. She did a good job and I hope she commits. She's an 8th grader so she'll only get to shoot with us for 1 year, but it will really do her a lot of good if she plans to join the air rifle team in 9th grade. Girls do catch on faster for the most part, and seem to complain less about the positions being uncomfortable. The lower heart rate helps also. My returning shooter are 4 girls and 3 boys.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Women have a lower center of gravity than men, which might be an advantage when shooting offhand. There's probably not that much difference between genders in your team's age group.

What kind of equipment do you shoot? We had the Daisy "club in a box" with 853's and 845's.

Where do you shoot? We used the 4H exhibit building at the fairgrounds. I had to go to the city council to get the law changed. It prohibited the discharge of BB guns within the city limits. Now it's legal for established groups, for instructional purposes, and in a place approved by the council. (They granted permission immediately after passing the revision.)

What does your parental release form look like?

What qualifications must your coaches have? We had to attend a weekend 4H seminar ("getting green") and pass a Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension background check (working with kids, you know.) They also offered the Minnesota DNR hunter safety instructor training on the Friday night before the 4H seminar, which is how I got into that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:19 am Reply with quote
shawn706
Slavia wrote:
Women have a lower center of gravity than men, which might be an advantage when shooting offhand. There's probably not that much difference between genders in your team's age group.

What kind of equipment do you shoot? We had the Daisy "club in a box" with 853's and 845's.

Where do you shoot? We used the 4H exhibit building at the fairgrounds. I had to go to the city council to get the law changed. It prohibited the discharge of BB guns within the city limits. Now it's legal for established groups, for instructional purposes, and in a place approved by the council. (They granted permission immediately after passing the revision.)

What does your parental release form look like?

What qualifications must your coaches have? We had to attend a weekend 4H seminar ("getting green") and pass a Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension background check (working with kids, you know.) They also offered the Minnesota DNR hunter safety instructor training on the Friday night before the 4H seminar, which is how I got into that.

Don't know why I didn't see this post earlier. Anyway better late than never.

We shoot Daisy 499s and our "lead" coaches have to go to a weekend certification class probably very close to the one you had to take. It focuses more on risk management than actually being an effective coach. We are required to have at least 1 certified coach for every 7 kids.

We shoot at the fairgrounds which is owned by the Loins Club. We have no special release form, the one we have is the same for all 4h activities.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:13 am Reply with quote
Slavia
My kids are third generation 4H - I didn't go green until I volunteered to be a coach. I met my wife through her participation in a 4H program (in Guatemala, no less). There is a public perception that 4H is just for farm kids, but that's not true. I would encourage anyone reading this to check them out.

shawn706, I applaud you. Keep us posted on how the season progresses.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
shawn706
Had our State Match this past Saturday. 98 teams, 579 shooters from 57 counties. We came in 5th. Very proud.

http://www.orionresults.com/team/MatchPage.aspx?MatchID=1.2307.652882709.1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Slavia wrote:
There is a public perception that 4H is just for farm kids, but that's not true.

That seems to be dependent on the area/individuals running the local chapter. My daughter has been in 4H for 3 years and almost everything is agricultural-related ("goat club", "vet club", "sheep club", "horse club" and so on)- there are a few food-related activities- But, we are in a rural area and farming was a big deal around here until the last generation or so...

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Congratulations! You must be doing something right. Was pizza involved afterwards?

Eric - We do have "royalty." In my county the dog and horse people would like to believe they are the master race. In the next county over it's rabbits. 4H isn't limited to those areas, however. If you want to do model rocketry or photography or any number of other non-agricultural things there is a place.

I was never in 4H as a kid. Then I married a 4H extension agent (a former pork princess, no less) and things changed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
"Pork Princess"!

That is just wrong, in so many ways...

Mr. Green

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:05 am Reply with quote
shawn706
Ours is more land management type stuff. Forestry and wildlife management. We have animal judging too, but most of that gets handed over to FFA by middle school. The shooting sports, performing arts and just recently robotics has been the big draw to 4H.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:43 am Reply with quote
Slavia
In some states 4H is run through the public schools like FFA and FHA (now FCCLA); in other states it's completely separate.

One of the challenges to project diversity in 4H is finding volunteer mentors/judges for each project area. You wind up with the woodworking expert judging rocketry, for example.

"Pork Princess" is perhaps an unfortunate title, but it's an important position. They represent the Pork Producers' Association at fairs, parades, and conventions. Another unfortunate one was the "Porkettes." They have since become Women In Pork Production.

Anyway, back to shooting. shawn706, you should be commended for your work with youth programs. An obvious benefit is a new generation of trained, safe shooters. Another benefit is to the conservation of natural resources. For the last 100 years conservation efforts have been funded by user fees - hunting/fishing licenses, and a tax on hunting equipment that is returned to the states. (See the Pittman-Robertson Act of 1937). Now we have a generation of folks that would rather stay inside to play video games, and that funding model is in peril. Thanks for sharing your talents!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:39 am Reply with quote
shawn706
We qualified for the Daisy Nationals. Looks like we'll be shooting in Rogers Arkansas on the 4th of July. Merica.
2015-2016 5m BB getting underway in GA. 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » BB Guns