Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » First Critter 2013
First Critter 2013 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
dr7197
January 27, 2013
Disco .22

Benjamin Discovery .22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
old dad
Nice,,I nailed two this past Saturday,,I believe them to have been the last two residents of my hollow sycamore tree. Waiting for new tenants, with my scopeless Crossman Storm.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
bthorn
Guys... if you are sniping squirrels for fun in what used to be big game country several generations ago when it was plentiful I beg you to take up target shooting as a sport.

If you clean then eat them that's cool... wack and toss in the can... not cool...

Just because it walks through your yard isn't a reason to harvest... unless you're hungry.

Pray that your main food source doesn't become squirrels because they are prey for other predators that aren't on your harvest list

You guys had fox, coyote, cats, and such back in the day.

Conserve and target shoot for fun...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I have a great recipe for squirrel stew! Plus they make good gloves. PS I also sell the tails to Mepps. I get free fishing lures that way. THe way I lose them it's hard to keep up. lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
whm1974
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quote:
Guys... if you are sniping squirrels for fun in what used to be big game country several generations ago when it was plentiful I beg you to take up target shooting as a sport.

While can see your point, squirrels are hardly endangered. In many areas they are in fact pest.

I suppose we could take up rat hunting. However I'm sure the cities with the biggest rat problem will have issues with someone wandering around with an airgun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:38 am Reply with quote
old dad
bthorn wrote:

If you clean then eat them that's cool... wack and toss in the can... not cool...

Just because it walks through your yard isn't a reason to harvest... unless you're hungry.

Pray that your main food source doesn't become squirrels because they are prey for other predators that aren't on your harvest list

You guys had fox, coyote, cats, and such back in the day.

Conserve and target shoot for fun...

Squirrels in my neighborhood have done over $2000.00 in damage to my neighbors cars, getting under hoods chewing wiring harnesses, insulation, and pbs plastic housings. These parts were not stock shelved but had to be acquired through the mfg. Parts had to be shipped from the UK.
My mom's home has be chewed to pieces, wood work, wiring, causing fire hazards to her home.
So I don't hesitate to help eradicate these tree rats, particularly when I found them after my motorcycle.

Between mine and my mom's home I've easily removed at least 50 of these little beasts with my break barrel since May of 2012, I gave up on live traps after 12 years of a losing battle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:41 am Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Congrats!
Squirrel season is over here. A few days of rabbits left, but we don't have any in my neighborhood. I'd have to actually go out to the country and really hunt....and I'm lazy. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote
whm1974
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quote:
My mom's home has be chewed to pieces, wood work, wiring, causing fire hazards to her home.

Squirrels have to be the biggest pest for those living in the country or anywhere close to it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Jetronic
whm1974 wrote:
Quote:

Squirrels have to be the biggest pest for those living in the country or anywhere close to it.

They were when I lived in WVA, but now I'm back home in Europe they're not.... The indigenous squirrel here is the smaller red squirrel, though...

If I ever catch a grey one it'll become my souper, as they are harmful to the red kind and shouldn't be here anyway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
whm1974
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quote:
They were when I lived in WVA, but now I'm back home in Europe they're not.... The indigenous squirrel here is the smaller red squirrel, though...

So what makes the red squirrel not a pest?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Jetronic
whm1974 wrote:
Quote:

So what makes the red squirrel not a pest?

doesn't throw nuts at me!

and they're quite shy so stay away from houses/close to trees

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
whm1974
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quote:
and they're quite shy so stay away from houses/close to trees

OK then. I'm glad you guys in Europe don't have the same squirrel pest problem we have here.
Squirrels 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:48 am Reply with quote
Staffy1
The grey squirrel over in UK is a pest. It was originally I believe introduced from USA and quickly spread in UK, it also carried a disease which quickly wiped out the original smaller red squirrel. The grey has now spread through most of England . We have a population of red squirrels here on Isle of Wight where I live as the stretch of water has stopped the greys invading!!. Tried some grey squirrel cooked when I lived on the mainland tasted great. They are regular airgun quarry here in Uk especially on pheasant shoots were they compete with game birds for food at feeder points set up by game keepers. I shot a few when on the mainland and they are tough as boots needing a well placed shot with a sub 12 ftlb rifle to put their lights out.

First Critter 2013 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting