Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo » Accuracy of Crosman Premier Hollowpoints
Accuracy of Crosman Premier Hollowpoints 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
pelletpal
I have a Crosman Trail NP in .22 caliber. I bought a tin of the Crosman Premier HP pellets to break the gun in. After about 200 shots the accuracy at 50 feet is still abysmal...groups are about 2". I have noticed that the fit of the pellets into the breech is very inconsistent. Some slide in as expected, others have to be lined up carefully and pushed in with a fair amount of force. This suggests to me an inconsistency in the size of the pellets that may contribute to the inaccuracy. I have just shot some JSB Exacts and both the fit and accuracy are MUCH better. Any similar experiences? Thoughts?
BTW...I did the trigger adjustment suggested on a Youtube video using some washers on the pin that pushes the sear and it made a HUGE difference! No long first stage and a nice crisp 1.5# letoff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
old dad
I agree with the fitment issues you state. (mine's .177) I use a springer, nailed a lot of pesky squirrels and have missed a lot too. But I don't use a scope. A lot of misses I have, I assumed are related to "holding" issues, could be accounted to the pellets too I guess.

I'm pretty new to the higher powered rifles, I grew up with pumpers.

mark

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
SteveFury
I have a new .22 NP Venom. My first tin was 500ct Crosman Premier Dome. My 2nd tin was Banjamin hollow points.

I have ran a total of about 850 rounds between the two tins. The Benjamin makes 2-3" groups @ 20 yards.

The Crosman Premier domes are something else. I can shoot my Remington 870 shotgun at a target 50 meters away and get the same spray pattern as shooting my Venom with the Premier domes @ 20 yards. That is no exaggeration.

We've had a lot of problems with coons in the area. Last night I got home about 2am and caught one in my back yard. I got my Venom, put in a Benjamin HP and took 1 shot at about 50 yards.... Pop!Fwack! and it staggered away.
It was a few yards off and I buried it later that night.

I am looking for a different pellet to try and get even better grouping.

Last edited by SteveFury on Mon May 20, 2013 12:02 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
old dad
I like the crossman destroyers

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
SteveFury
I bought a tin of Crosman HP's 14.3g to try out. My Venom likes them better than the Crosman dome but not by much.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Bought a tin of these for my Titan. Seems like 1 in 5 or 6 is a flyer, but the ones that do shoot are dead-on. Size problems, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Always the same with pellets- every rifle may prefer something different. Typically, the Crosman domed and HP's tend to work acceptably in their .22 rifles- but that's no guarantee.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:08 am Reply with quote
Sholo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you get a chance, try some H&N Field Target Trophy (14.66 gr). My Benji Trail NP does "ok" with the Crosman's, but is very accurate with the FTT's.

As Eric said - every gun is different, but give the H&N's a try...you just might be pleasantly surprised!

Cheers,
Todd

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Same stuff here, 1 out of 10 is a flyer for me, but when they fly straight they are dead accurate out of my Titan .22 The .177 are a different story though. I cann't hit the broad side of a bull's butt with those. The pointed I have good luck with though. My beeman is dead on with them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My Vantage NP (.177) seemed to like Destroyers better than any other Crosman pellets I tried, but the fit in the barrel is still pretty inconsistent. I was shooting decent patterns (best would have been a hair under 1/2 inch if not for two fliers, which I attribute at least somewhat to the looser fit of those two) I've found Gamo Hunter round headed pellets to be pretty consistent in fit, at least, much more so than any of the Crosman, even the Premiers...which often literally fall into the barrel breech. I would describe the fit of the Gamos as "snug," requiring just a little push to bottom out in the breech. When the crosman pellets are tight, they feel like I'm shaving lead off the edges just to get them in. Now I'm waiting for a pellet assortment (different manufacturers and weights) to come from Pyramyd.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Destroyers are one pellet that seemed to be backwards for me: effective from the .177, but not the .22. I am curious now about the H&N Hornets on the back of last months Pyrymid Air periodical- but they are muy caro. Very expensive. Still haven't got to shoot any Baracuda Hunter Extremes either.
Accuracy of Crosman Premier Hollowpoints 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo