Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Every springer owner can use one of these...
Every springer owner can use one of these... 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
Westonhill
Tim Johnston's Mainspring Compressor He's making it for sale at $60 + S&H.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
You can also make them yourself, or ask a handy friend to make one for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
I personally think that any spring compressor that relies on an angle bracket of that length, to hold a spring in compression is very bad design. All spring compressors should be supported on at least two sides if possible, also the length of the base, which looks like a piece of shelf bracket needs to be bolted down to a length of wood to stop it flexing. And as for a bit of Velcro to hold the receiver in place makes the whole unit a bit iffy.

If he wants to make it for himself that’s alright, but if I was him I wouldn’t sell them.

Al

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
22magnum
I am somewhat surpised others need such robust spring compressors..I took my Phantom 500 apart and these was almost zero sping preload.
Are other guns pre-loaded much more? That must be hard on the spring
to be under compression all the time..I would think its best to have much pre-loading of the spring (just enough to prevent twanging)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Interesting. I would agree with Alstone- Velcro holding things down doesn't inspire alot of confidence. As for guns needing a spring compressor- some really do have an huge amount of spring preload, especially some that have been modified. Many guns also don't need a compressor due to very little pre-load. I suspect this spring compressor would work well in an application involving little preload and for someone who doesn't have a helper or an 8' hand span to do it alone.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
22magnum wrote:
I am somewhat surpised others need such robust spring compressors..I took my Phantom 500 apart and these was almost zero sping preload.
Are other guns pre-loaded much more? That must be hard on the spring
to be under compression all the time..I would think its best to have much pre-loading of the spring (just enough to prevent twanging)

In most powerfull springers you'll find that the spring is bend a bit. Some bad quality springers also get that, even when they are under none to no preload.

However, most springs in tuning-kits, in combination with spring-guides seem to last a lot longer, and sometimes lessen the pre-load.

There are kits that insert a smaller spring, but that increase the power output of the gun. For instance, a HW97K of which I had the honour of shooting a couple of times.

Twang can partly be caused by a spring that is preloaded and bend.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Westonhill
broommaster2000 wrote:
You can also make them yourself, or ask a handy friend to make one for you...

I have the B-Square Mainspring Compressor. I was thinking for the time and all the tools I needed, I might as well just go buy it, which cost me as much as a Chicom rifle :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Westonhill
AirGunEric wrote:
... As for guns needing a spring compressor- some really do have an huge amount of spring preload, especially some that have been modified. Many guns also don't need a compressor due to very little pre-load. I suspect this spring compressor would work well in an application involving little preload and for someone who doesn't have a helper or an 8' hand span to do it alone.

My Tx is far more powerful than my R7. Yet, the Tx doesn't have much preload while the R7 has a lot. The spring on the R7 is not hard to compress by hand, but like what you said, if you are the only one who's working on the gun, a spring compressor helps tremendously.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Westonhill wrote:
AirGunEric wrote:
... As for guns needing a spring compressor- some really do have an huge amount of spring preload, especially some that have been modified. Many guns also don't need a compressor due to very little pre-load. I suspect this spring compressor would work well in an application involving little preload and for someone who doesn't have a helper or an 8' hand span to do it alone.

My Tx is far more powerful than my R7. Yet, the Tx doesn't have much preload while the R7 has a lot. The spring on the R7 is not hard to compress by hand, but like what you said, if you are the only one who's working on the gun, a spring compressor helps tremendously.

I know, the R7/HW30 is a pretty good gun, but not the way it's putten together. An HW97K is much easyer to work on. Really two incomparable rifles.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Westonhill
broommaster2000 wrote:
Westonhill wrote:
AirGunEric wrote:

I know, the R7/HW30 is a pretty good gun, but not the way it's putten together. An HW97K is much easyer to work on. Really two incomparable rifles.

Yeap! Tx is a much better design.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
Mar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This guy does have some good ideas which I will probably borrow to improve my compressor.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:56 am Reply with quote
Alstone
The guy does have some good ideas, but his engineering is a bit suspect. One other thing I noticed about the compressor is that he is using it on a break barrel rifle, it would be a lot safer to remove the barrel before compressing the spring, all it wants is for the barrel to break when he has a load on the spring, and you have a dangerous situation, also a shorter unit would be more stable.

I know that a lot of airguns have very little preload on there springs, but when you get to Chinese rifles they make up for the lack of spring technology by fitting a longer spring at higher compression, and if you are selling something like this to the general public, it should be suitable for everything it is likely to encounter.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:14 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
I've read a Weihrauch 85 Spring will fit nicely into a B36-2. Include some spring-guides and you'll have an even nicer and more reliable springer.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics