Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » So, let's talk pressure
So, let's talk pressure 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
MikeSD
I posted a thread about filling from a scuba tank. I think I got what I needed in that thread but have some general questions about high pressure.

1) What is the best procedure for filling your gun to a known point?

I suppose one could just get an expensive guage and use it at the tank. But I'm equally sure that most don't go to that bother. I also suspect one could just fill to the maximum, chrono every shot, and mark the guage, where you got the best results, and then fill to that point from then on. But you wouldn't then know the real pressure.

2) All guns say to fill to a certain pressure. But if these guages aren't very accurate, how do you comply with the requirement to fill to a specific pressure?

3) Is the pressure the same, in all parts of the system?

On the face of it it might seem like "duh!". I mean, once everything is stabilized, I would expect all guages on a volume would measure the same reading, if they were all accurate (i.e. calibrated). But during the fill process, even with calibrated guages, would the pressure be the same, during the fill process? I suspect it might be higher on one guage than another, at least during the fill process. Is that a true statement?

3) What mechanism is there for setting a maximum air pressure on a pistol (i.e the Marauder)? Is it just a safety factor rule that says don't fill beyond? Is it a pressure release valve that prevents overpressure? What actually prevents over filling?

4) I have seen comments about tuning a pistol to work at a higher fill pressure. Is that even possible? I know you can tune them to perform at their peak performance point but can you actually make them take more pressure, within the mechanical limits of the gun, that is. Obviously if the seals leak at a specific point, you'd have to change the seals. But with regards to any mechanical adjustments on a gun can they be tuned to increase the pressure?

The reason I ask this question is because, like I mentioned in my other thread, my pistol only shows 2800 psi. I don't know which of my guages might be off. Assuming the pistol was actually reading 2800 psi and that was the actual pressure, is it possible that any adjustment would be making it limit at 2800 psi?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
1) A regulator with an accurate gauge is the most accurate way to fill any pressure vessel. Connect tank to regulator to fill hose to gun. Turn the regulator down to it's lowest setting. Crack open the tank and gradually turn up the regulator until the gauge shows the pressure you require. Lock the regulator at this point. You wouldn't want to know what a regulator of this rating would be worth.

There is usually two output ports on a good regulator. One would normally have a burst disc safety install in it

2)I assume they are not concerned with +/- 5%

3) within seconds the pressure will equalize on any system not having a very tight constriction some where. When I have 200bar on the main tanks in a ship they will have 200 bar in the anchor pocket 400 or 500 feet away. For realistic purposes you can assume that pressure differential waves will travel at Mach.

3.1) Yes it's a safety factor of 3/5. There is no mechanical device that would prevent overfilling inside the gun

4) yes it's possible to overfill anything if your determined enough to put a concerted effort into killing yourself. Realistically I see no advantage performance wise to exceed the 3000psi working pressure. At that pressure the gun already has more untapped resource than you could realize given the other restraints such as valve potential

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
MikeSD
SMP wrote:
4) yes it's possible to overfill anything if your determined enough to put a concerted effort into killing yourself. Realistically I see no advantage performance wise to exceed the 3000psi working pressure. At that pressure the gun already has more untapped resource than you could realize given the other restraints such as valve potential

I think you missed the point of my question. There is some ability to control the pressure that is capable of being held in any vessel. I'm not talking about exceeding the limits of the walls or anything like that. Just valves and such that have springs pressing against them. I was wondering if air pistols have the ability to increase the pressure they can hold. The reason for this, is if the gun is holding less pressure than it's capable of, is there some adjustment that can be made (i.e. tightening springs), to allow it to reach it's design limit.

I found this on the pyramyd site, regarding this issue... in general.

Quote:
The pressure regulator contains a powerful spring that acts on a valve. However, this spring is not powerful enough to keep the check valve closed against the high pressure of the air reservoir. Air forces its way through the check valve and into the firing chamber. When the pressure builds inside the firing chamber, it pushes on the check valve, helping the spring close the valve against the air reservoir. To control how much pressure is in the firing chamber, the spring is adjusted until the desired pressure closes the check valve.

That is what I was referring to. I didn't say anything about exceeding 3000 psi.

Also, you mention accurate gauges, do most air gun shooters actually use calibrated gauges, or do they just use guages that come with typical air guns and equipment.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
MikeSD wrote:

I think you missed the point of my question. There is some ability to control the pressure that is capable of being held in any vessel. I'm not talking about exceeding the limits of the walls or anything like that. Just valves and such that have springs pressing against them. I was wondering if air pistols have the ability to increase the pressure they can hold. The reason for this, is if the gun is holding less pressure than it's capable of, is there some adjustment that can be made (i.e. tightening springs), to allow it to reach it's design limit.

I found this on the pyramyd site, regarding this issue... in general.

Quote:
The pressure regulator contains a powerful spring that acts on a valve. However, this spring is not powerful enough to keep the check valve closed against the high pressure of the air reservoir. Air forces its way through the check valve and into the firing chamber. When the pressure builds inside the firing chamber, it pushes on the check valve, helping the spring close the valve against the air reservoir. To control how much pressure is in the firing chamber, the spring is adjusted until the desired pressure closes the check valve.

That device you quoted from pyramid air is the pressure regulator on a "regulated PCP" such as a match rifle. This is located just before the firing valve and is there to ensure that the pressure of each shot is exactly the same every time.

There is no valve or regulator at the fill end of any PCP I know of. The only device at the fill end is a one way check valve to prevent the air from coming back out.

I would hazard a guess that 50% of all users just use the gauge on the rifle. 40% likely have a better gauge on the fill yoke of the scuba tank. And the remaining 10% would have a manifold setup with a more sophisticated gauge. [/u]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
WhitleyStu
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think most of your questions have been answered thoroughly, but it needs to be stated that you do need a good gauge(s) in your fill system. I've worked around 10,000 psi systems and have a great respect for anything and everything under pressure. I opted for two liquid filled gauges on my tank valve; one of the tank side of the valve and the other on the line out side. Know the proper working pressures of your equipment and have accurate control of it. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
MikeSD
Quote:
There is no valve or regulator at the fill end of any PCP I know of.

I was referring to the gauge on the end of the hose connected to the scuba tank. I have two gauges, one on the gun and one on the clamp at the tank. But my terms might be confusing as I'm just getting into PCP guns. Wink

So, let's talk pressure 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles