Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Disassembling the Marauder Rifle
Disassembling the Marauder Rifle 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote
MikeSD
I have a leak in my Marauder Rifle that I may tackle, assuming I can get the rifle apart, without damaging the cosmetics or losing parts. I know I can get it apart, one way or the other. Very Happy

I have only got the exploded view. I'm sure I have the skills to do this but I want to avoid any traps.

I can't seem to find any manual that describes taking it apart and the order in which screws should be removed. So, I'll ask a few questions. I want to ask these so I don't discover some ireversable problem part way through. I would prefer answers from people who have actually taken this gun apart.

1) First, are any special tools needed anywhere in the process? I have just about any standard wrench, screwdrivers, sockets, etc. Just wondering if I'm going to need anything special, especially any tools to prevent cosmetic damage.

2) Is there a step-by-step description anywhere on disassembling this gun?

3) Can the barrel/shrowd/receiver be removed in as a single piece, without disassembling it? I think I will probably only have to work on the air cylinder tube and would like to avoid taking anything apart that isn't necessary.

4) If you have a drawing, it looks like it might be held in place by only 2 screws (number 36, just forward of the clip slot). There is another screw (number 31 at the rear but I'm not sure that is actually used. If it is, it must go through the top and only make contact on the lower part of the receiver, or else the bolt would be blocked. I guess it will be easy enough to tell, if I remove the first two and it's still held.

5) At the front of the air cylinder, there is an aluminum threaded housing for the fill adapter. I don't see any way to apply a wrench to it. It appears to be only threads. Am I correct that it's threaded? How is that removed, if it is, with no way to apply a wrench?

6) Once the end caps and screws are removed, the three assemblies in the tube can be removed. But they have o-rings and presumably pressed up against the walls. When removing them, the o-rings will pass over screw holes and/or threads. How do you prevent these screw holes from putting gouges in the o-rings?

For instance, the guage hole in the cylinder wall, has an o-ring on either side, the guage port must be pushed past that large hole. Won't the o-rings be cut by the edge of the hole?

7) Are there any tips, that I might need to know about disassembling this particular rifle, besides emptying it of air first.

Thanks,
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
PM Bob...rsterne

He has probably disassembled more Disco's and Mrod breaches than anyone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
rsterne
This just from the diagram....

It looks like the barrel/shroud/breech assembly can come off in one piece, but not having an MRod I'm not sure.... Note below about the bolt....

Screw #31 does hold the back of the breech in place, it is in a counterbore below the bolt (ie the bolt slides over the top of it).... You will therefore have to remove the bolt to access it....

The fill fitting #3 is threaded into the front of the airtube.... Once there is NO pressure in the gun (and you MUST depressurize first) you may be able to loosen it with a wrench on the foster fitting.... If not, you wil have to warp some leather around it and use pliers.... it should not be very tight....

If it's like the Disco, you want to remove the gauge mounting block and the valve through the front of the airtube (the way it shows on the diagram) and you are likely to damage the O-rings doing that.... It is critical to deburr all the holes and slots to help prevent damaging them on reassembly.... but in the end, all you can do is exercise care and hope.... That large hole for the gauge is a PITA, use your fingernails or a wooden dowel to press the O-rings down as they slide by the edge.... Use a good SILICONE (only) O-ring grease, sparingly, for assembly....

The remaining parts come out the back, as shown in the diagram....

HTHs....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
I think I remember a post on the Mrod forum from a guy that takes everything out through the fill end of the tube to avoid o-ring damage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
You still have to pull three O-rings past the 1/2" hole for the gauge going out the front.... Out the back it's hopeless, the slots just shred the O-rings....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
MikeSD
Kind of makes you wonder how they get them in without damaging the o-rings, with all the holes and threads. Maybe that's why I have a leak. Laughing

BTW, I did ask Pyramyd about whether opening it will void the warranty. They said it would of course. They told me it's not worth my time to do it and I should just send it back. That would be 2 for 2. Crying or Very sad

They said it was just a case of bad luck. I think I'll just have them do a test, on the next purchase. I'm thinking about getting some large bore air rifle next.

BTW, thanks for the suggestions on removing the parts. I figured there would be a good chance of damaging the o-rings, just based on the fact they have to be pushed past holes and threads.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
MikeSD
Looks like I don't have to disassemble anything, for the time being. But I will someday. Smile

I decided to return the rifle, even though it wasn't that bad. I made that decision based on talking to the Pyramyd folks. They suggested it wasn't worth the effort or risk, considering they'd be happy to exchange it. So I did.

The new rifle arrived a week ago. I filled it to 2900psi. A week later it hasn't budged and is holding steady at 2900psi.

Thanks to all for the help on this.

BTW, I built a bullet trap and have a 45' range downstairs. I'm also working on some video security cameras around my house and will have one setup, within the week, to show the range. I'll also have a camera right near the target, that shows pellet impacts. A total waste of time, but what they hey! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
MikeSD wrote:
...They said it was just a case of bad luck...

Nope. Most companies are dumping their inspection departments and concentrating on trying to make the manufacturing process foolproof. (Google jidoka.)

In my personal experience, almost 40% of all airgun and other shooting sports related products are defective out of the box.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
MikeSD
Thought I'd catch everyone up.

I just returned the rifle, since that's what they preferred. They sent me a new rifle and now it holds pressure forever, it seems. I have left it sitting for weeks, without any loss of air.

Both my rifle and my pistol had to be returned. But when I returned them and asked them to test them first, they both now work great.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
mtsheron
MikeSD wrote:
Thought I'd catch everyone up.

I just returned the rifle, since that's what they preferred. They sent me a new rifle and now it holds pressure forever, it seems. I have left it sitting for weeks, without any loss of air.

Both my rifle and my pistol had to be returned. But when I returned them and asked them to test them first, they both now work great.

I would think a slow to very slow leak with their test fire policy would get by them. I bet they don't set there long to see if it leaks slowly. They pull a gun from stock; load it with some throw down ammo; test fire it to make sure it shoots and cycles okay; boxes it back up and ships to you.

I kinda can see it in my head some kid with no clue doing this and checking off what he does to go to a supervisor to get the okay to ship.

Call me doubting Thomas but I just don't see them spending long on this process. I may be wrong, have been before.

I guess where I am going with this, glad you now have a gun holding pressure.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles