Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Best gun out of the box Goto page 1, 2  Next
Best gun out of the box 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
SematicShooter
Hello. I'm new to this forum. I have a few questions about air rifles.
I'm new to the airgun world, and I have no experenice taking them apart, so I'd like to know out of the guns I have chosen (or any other guns in the price range) what would be a buy.
I really like the look of the Remington NPSS so far, because sound is a issue. So is recoil and hold sensitivity, since I'm new to springers, or gas ram guns.
But the RWS 34 is cheaper, and I've heard it would last longer, and I also have a leapers 3-9x50AO scope, so it would save me alot of money to buy the rws and use the scope I already have, since I can't find the npss without the scope. I do have .177 pellets and other things I need, so I would probably go .177 with either rifle.

So out of the two rifles, and my situation, what would you guys reccomend?
Like I said, I want it to perform out of the box since I have no experenice with tinkering with those.

Last edited by SematicShooter on Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
packrat
What are you going to use the gun for? hunting, plinking around, target shooting, or a mix of all the above?? Primary use will dictate to a large degree, which gun would be best..Perhaps one you've mentioned or something else.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote
SematicShooter
Mostly plinking and target shooting, but I'd really like to be able to take a squrriel or two with it. I know a .22 is highly reccomended for that, but that could cut deep into my budget getting .22 pellets and stuff. And I have extra stuff for the .177 like a pellet holder.

Thanks for the reply, hope you can help.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:19 am Reply with quote
rsterne
I have a D-34 in .177 and it is a great rifle.... extremely well built and VERY accurate.... It's got PLENTY of power for squirrels out as far as you will be able to hit them....

You MIGHT be able to get away with a set of medium height rings with that scope.... I have a Leapers 4-16 x 50 AO on mine and it clears the barrel by about 1/32".... If not, you will have to use high rings.... Stick to the medium if you can, though....

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
SematicShooter
Sorry I haven't been able to respond. And thanks for the response, I've had alot of people tell me the rws 34 is good, but that's about it. I was hoping for more of a comparison of the two. I know that's asking for alot- But mabye somebody has them both or shot both.

I'm thinking more about the lower powered shooters now, because I've been thinking more of my shooting area. It's secure, yet close to neighbors. And as much as I would like to take some squrriels that bother one of my neighbors dogs- any direction I shoot would come down somewhere and could hit a populated area. So I'd have to hit my target and have it not go through it everytime. That's a risk I couldn't take.
But say a gun like the Air Venturi Bronco: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Air_Venturi_Bronco_air_rifle/2013
Would be accurate and fun to shoot, quiet(er , then say a rws 34) and less powerful. But that then brings the question of which, so called "youth rifle" or "10 meter" rifle, should I choose? I'll have about a 30 foot range, for now till I figure out something better, meaning 10 meters is about right. For now I've found the
(Bronco)
http://www.pyramydair.com/p/hammerli-490-express.shtml
http://www.pyramydair.com/p/izh-61-multi-shot-air-rifle.shtml
The bronco seems like a good choice, having a good trigger, and good accuracy. It's 125$ which is higher then the other two rifles listed, but still very close to them. I do NOT like the looks of it. It's not horrible, and I guess I don't really mind it that much- But the light color makes it look like plastic, and the front sight and the muzzle break together how the put them is not appealing. I have seen it scoped which imo makes it look nicer. I like that it's 6.5 lbs and about 40 inchs- I want it closer to a full sized rifle. Does anyone have this rifle, and can say it's a good buy?

The hammerli express is great looking imo, I don't like what they're saying about the trigger, though. I also don't like the lower power- Wouldn't that start to affect accuracy? They say it's pretty accurate, so I can't really compare it to the bronco. (The size/length is a plus as well) Any help here?

The IZH 61 is short plastic, and light. And they say the stocks a bit wobbly, I can't stand a non-solid feeling rifle. It does have a 5 shot clip(I feel I'm not using the right termanology here) which is pretty cool. Trigger and accuracy are supposed to be good which is the biggest factor here. I do like the looks of the gun, although not as much as a traditional rifle.

And now that I wrote a book, can anyone suggest a gun similar to my picky needs, or confirm one of the guns I listed? Thanks a bunch.

[/u]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Get the 34 and don't worry about it.

Even at close range the pellets coming out of a .177 D34 don't go through my squirrels.

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
fritz wrote:
Get the 34 and don't worry about it.

Even at close range the pellets coming out of a .177 D34 don't go through my squirrels.

Razz

Hatsan mod 99 .177 (Quattro & SAS)
Kral underlever .177

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote
wrecktangle
Do not even think about using the IZH 61 for any type of game--other than june bugs and grasshoppers.

It's a very light weight, very fun, very low velocity springer. I have one, the stock is not wobbly at all. It's only fairly accurate on paper from 10 meters. Maybe 25 shot groups covering about a silver dollar. Though you could probably hit a soda can from that distance every time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
The 34 is a good allrounder. I'd get one if I didn't already own something better. RazzDouble

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
SematicShooter
Well, I'll see what I can do about the 34. And I didn't mean to use the IZH 61 to hunt game. Mabye you should have read my post a bit more throughly. And you say your d-34 doesn't go through squrriels, which means it may not be as powerful as I thought, which is good. As I don't really know what to expect. And, I wonder if it can do through a broom Laughing . Just kidding. Thanks for the responses. It will be awhile before I can get anything, but I wanted plenty of time to decide. And that's even if I get enough of a budget to afford it- But that's to worry about later. Once I get something I'll see about getting some pictures up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Heads it will penetrate.

Neck and torso catch on the far side skin. Perfect amount of power. They always expire within a moment.

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:42 am Reply with quote
wrecktangle
SematicShooter wrote:
Well, I'll see what I can do about the 34. And I didn't mean to use the IZH 61 to hunt game. Mabye you should have read my post a bit more throughly. And you say your d-34 doesn't go through squrriels, which means it may not be as powerful as I thought, which is good. As I don't really know what to expect. And, I wonder if it can do through a broom Laughing . Just kidding. Thanks for the responses. It will be awhile before I can get anything, but I wanted plenty of time to decide. And that's even if I get enough of a budget to afford it- But that's to worry about later. Once I get something I'll see about getting some pictures up.

"Mabye" [sic] I'll think about that next time you post a question.

Sorry man, I was only trying to help. Attitudes don't count around here.

Have a wonderful day.

Faq-U

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:16 am Reply with quote
SematicShooter
Sounds great fritz. I think I'm going to go towards a 34. Thanks for the advice- And yes, I had a typo, wreckangle, it's not that big of a deal to get one typo. And I didn't have a attitude, I was just a little annoyed someone would think I would use a IZH 61 for hunting. I'm not an idiot is all I was trying to say. Neutral Anyways, like I said, I'll try to get some pictures up (it'll be awhile) once I get my gun.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:49 am Reply with quote
wrecktangle
Sorry again sematicshooter... in your very first post you state that "I'm new to the airgun world."

Being new to the airgun world, would indicate that you have little experience with the capabilities of different AG's.

Pointing out the typo was to show that we're not all perfect. I wasn't implying you were an idiot, nor did I think you were an idiot. I thought you were a newbie seeking advice and opinions to your multi-part posts. I had experience with one of the AG's you had listed. I responded, thinking my post would be helpful.

Obviously I was wrong on all my assumptions.

whateveh'..... stick a fork in me.. i'm done with this discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote
SematicShooter
Yeah, I don't want negative posts here. There's no need to continue this.
Best gun out of the box 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles