Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Remington NPSS goes back. Goto page 1, 2  Next
Remington NPSS goes back. 
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
jeager106
Too frustrating for me. The instruction manual says alllow for 100 break in shot.
800+ pellets later I'm still getting 3 to 5 inch groups at 60 feet.
My Gamo Sahdow does 0.50 inches at 60 feet.
I didn't twant to disasseble everything and trade the Remmie on another Remmie. I want the techs at Pyramyd Air to break the gun down and learn what is wrong with it.
Bad barrel? Bad scope? Rough bore?
I also asked them if it was possible to get more velocity out of the thing as it's advertized to get 850 fps from lead pellets.
We all know those are inflated figures but I can't get over an average of about 730 fps with an 11 grain pellet and not quite 700fps with 14.4 gainers which is about average for a .22 pellet.
I've been shooting some of the very best pells on the market as well as the old standby Crosman Premier, a very good pellet in a variety of air guns.
Yuo can bet I'll be putting the good after market trigger on the Gamo. Mine is really a pretty good gun for just having a fixed 4X scope. It's quite accurate and just needs a decent trigger.
It will be interesting to see what P/A has to say about the Remington NPSS.
By the way. I think P/A is one of the best outlets for airguns and accessories on the web.
If anyone knows of an outfit as good or better I'd like the addy so I can snoop a little on other places.
Thanks
Del

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Too bad the NPSS wasn't working well.

Pyramyd is unlikely to take it apart and do anything- if you've returned it as "defective" it will end up back in Crosman's hands.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
packrat
Precisely.just another "return for credit" to them..

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
wrecktangle
I've got the Remington NPSS also. And am a bit disappointed in it's performance. Though, after trying different pellets in it, I found the JSB Exact 8.4 grain to give the best results. The crosman premier heavy in the box are crap in the gun. They barely fit in the breech, just really tight.

I haven't given up on the rifle yet though. It could very well be my technique. the recoil is more than I expected. Try a very light hold, just enough to control it, shoot and let the gun do it's thing.

I also bought mine from PA. It's a .177 and not the .22.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
jeager106
"just another return"? Really? I'd have thought they would tear it down and try to fix the thing.
I hope they do.
If not I suppose they will issue me a credit for the rifle.
They are pretty good about that and I've dealt with P/A for a long time with nio complaints about service.
Well if they give me a credit I'll get a good known rifle and put the "what kind" to you fellows.
I'd like to stay with the gas piston because that's why I bought the NPSS in the first place was the hype about the piston.
So I'm very open for suggestions and I don't mind dropping a bit more money on another gun if it comes to that.
Up to another hundred I suppose would be o.k. That would give me #299.00 + $100.00 + a;most $400.00 to play with.
You fellows should be able to suggest another piston rifle of known reputation for acccuracy and quality so please feel free to suggest away.
You have my devoted attention.
wrecktangle: I did try the so called artilery hold for most of my shooting as it's the recommended shooting style endorsed by P/A.
Too bad it didn't work on the NPSS.
If you got your rifle from Pyramyd and it has been less than 30 days they will take a return and credit your account with the $299.00 you spent so you'd be in good shape for another gun if you'd like.
Is it shooting good now?
As I've remarked before my junk Gamo Shadow gives me 0.50 with the boxed 10.5 Premiers.
Most all my air guns shoot the Premier well.
None of them ever shot super heavies well at all.
I've learned the alloy super lights are junk pellets and not good for your gun at all.
I have some 4.0 grain alloy pells in .177 and shot them in the Shadow.
They wounded like a .22 rimfire racket and accuracy was horrible.
Also they shed velocity really fast. The Gamo with 10.5 heavies will shoot thru any real "tin" tin can. The 4,0 alloy pell won't even dent the tin can, IF you can hit the can at all in the first place.
I see no use for super lights either.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
donec
jeager106 wrote:

If you got your rifle from Pyramyd and it has been less than 30 days they will take a return and credit your account with the $299.00 you spent so you'd be in good shape for another gun if you'd like.
If it has been over 30 days but not much then you can talk to them about an exchange. I did it at about 45 days.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Hi..
I had that with my Remington genesis...
tryed some crosman accpels....its never looked back..
crosman gun shooting Crosman pellets..Who would have thought... Laughing
Pellet wise its just a picky little sod...

Hatsan mod 99 .177 (Quattro & SAS)
Kral underlever .177

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote
wrecktangle
I've had the NPSS for a couple months now, I guess. While it was touted more than it is, it's not overall a "bad" gun. I'll keep it.

While I'm not a "good" shooter, if I bench it at 50 feet I can manage around one and a half inch groups with the JSB's. I was really surprised that the Crosman heavies didn't do well in it, maybe I got a bad lot. But the pellets really have to be forced into the breech, and are probably deforming somewhat. Who knows what they look like when they leave the muzzle. But the pellets are all over the target with no grouping whatsoever.

I'll use it as a tin-canner and plinker when I'm not really concerned about keeping tight groups.

It's taken a back seat to my Air Arms TX200 MkIII anyhow. That's the rifle you should have. A bit over your budget perhaps, but well worth the time and effort to save your money for. At fifty feet (benched), I manage dime sized groups with the JSB "Heavies" (the 10 grainers). A lot of shooters report tenth-sized groups with this rifle. I'm thinking about buying some regular paintballs, setting them out on golf tees, and using them as field targets. The gun is that good!

My NPSS only has maybe a hundred and a half pellets thru it, so in all likelihood it will still improve. It is a sharp looking rifle and the included Centerpoint scope is no junker. Plus I've never run any patches thru it. Guess I should run some of my J-B bore cleaner thru it.

I was never impressed by those light weight alloy pellets. Once a pellet reaches supersonic speed (generally around 1,100 fps) you can't really rely on it's accuracy. The lightest I go is around 7 grains in my 400-500fps guns. I'd never even consider them in my heavy springers.

I've dealt exclusively with Pyramyd Air, and have yet to be disappointed with their customer service or shipping.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
bobtodrick
Completely understandable that they will not tear it down.
If they return it to Crosman they get either a replacement gun or full credit.
If they tear it down they will be out the labor and on the hook for any parts they replace.
Obvious from a business standpoint what to do.
On the other hand I would hope that, especially if there are many returns like this that Crosman would figure out what the issue is and rectify it.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:53 am Reply with quote
packrat
wrecktangle...most EVERYTHING is over-rated to soem degree, airguns are no exception..I bought a CrosmanNPSS in .22, before it changed labels , etc,...it did not match up to all it's advertising claims, although, in all fairness, I have to say it was MUCH closer than say 75% of airguns on today's market...ya just get used to it after a while, sadly.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:18 am Reply with quote
Amigo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Many times a seemingly inaccurate pellet rifle can be traced back to a dirty barrel, less than snug stock-to-action screws or a less than snug barrel pivot screw - All are easy fixes and are part of regular owner maintenance. Also check for tightness, all sight screws.

For determining proper pivot screw tightness see Slavia's recent post re: droop.

Cotton patches dampened with GooGone and pulled thru the barrel with timmer cord will usually dissolve old mfg. greases and fluids. Follow up with clean dry patches till all traces of "dirt" are gone. If after 5 or 6 dry patches the patch is still dirty use the Goo"Gone again, then repeat with dry until clean - repeat as necessary.
Also, thoroughly wipe any remaining solvent residue from the breach and breach seal before closing the breach and/or firing the gun.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
jeager106
Well I sent the Remington bsck in a hard case so they would not have a nice pretty Remington box to put it in.
I thought for sure they would take it apart and see what exactly was wrong.
Nope!
They got a new rifle, mounted up the 3 X 9 scope and put it my old hard case and sent her back.
Brand new rifle in every detail.
How do I know?
I ran a clean white cotton patch downbore and she came out black and greasy with tiny metal frags in the cloth.
Some G00-Gone, more patches, till they came out clean so I have about 200 pells down bore and IT STILL SUCKS. Twisted Evil
2 to 3 inches at 60 fet is the very best it will give.
I'll fool with it till I feel satisfied I've done everything right with another 800 or so pells down bore, check all screws everywhere, lube what needs lubed and if she's still no good I'll send the green box back with all goodies and buy something completely different.
So considering my luck with Remington gassers what do you all suggest in the 4 hundred price range that will shoot reliably an very accurate.
Should I switch to .177 for the higher speed and flatter trajectory?
Thanks fellas.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:17 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
? So they just exchanged it for the same gun? Or did they ship the exact same rifle back?

If this one doesn't work out, maybe forget about the 'nitro piston' idea and stick with a regular springer.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
packrat
Well I sent the Remington bsck in a hard case so they would not have a nice pretty Remington box to put it in.

Exactly what did you expect that to accomplish Question Question

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
bobtodrick
What pellets have you tried?
Tom Gaylord has published an extensive test on the Benjamin Trail which is based on the NPSS. He found that Crosman Premiers at 25yds wouldn't group under 3", yet JSB Exacts were well under an inch.
Perhaps you just need to test more pellets.
Remington NPSS goes back. 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles