Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » What is the quietest air rifle? Goto page 1, 2  Next
What is the quietest air rifle? 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
gringogigante
I'm looking for an air rifle that I can shoot in the backyard that is quiet and won't scare the neighbors. Any thoughts?

Chris McCollum
Firearms Instructor/CHL classes
www.metroplexchl.com
metroplexchl@gmail.com
Gonna need a few more details so the best suggestion is made 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
T191032
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cost base in mind? Target practice? Hunting needs?

I would suggest, barring any hunting needs, a Daisy 953 TargetPro, which is a single-stroke Pneumatic and is the lesser-expensive version of the Daisy Avanti line of Target Rifles. Unlike a spring-piston rifle, where you need to learn the basics of the artillery hold (though I do have a Gamo Shadow that likes being held tighter) that is generally considered a need. The Daisy can be outfitted with a deluxe Aperture or scoped like it's more expensive relatives as well.

www.Daisy.com

Another thing to consider will be the pellet receptical (trap). A metal trap may be more "noisy" than the actual gun when the lead hits it.

And no, I don't work for Daisy. Honestly I own Daisy and Crosman airguns/BB guns, but prefer Crosman between the two.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
I would suggest, barring any hunting needs, a Daisy 953 TargetPro, which is a single-stroke Pneumatic and is the lesser-expensive version of the Daisy Avanti line of Target Rifles.

With my 853 (same mechanism) there is a little burp, and then the much louder sound of the pellet smacking cardboard.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Teryx
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a 953 as well. It's a really nice little training rifle IMO. It is quiet and accurate, but low on power for hunting. My only dissapointment with it is the trigger. It's not terrible, but I would hope for better on that rifle. There are some trigger fixes for the 853 that may apply to the 953. I haven't lookd into that yet. The crazy thing is, my Daisy model 25 actually has a better trigger. Go figure Rolling Eyes .

Teryx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
gringogigante
Slavia wrote:
Quote:
I would suggest, barring any hunting needs, a Daisy 953 TargetPro, which is a single-stroke Pneumatic and is the lesser-expensive version of the Daisy Avanti line of Target Rifles.

With my 853 (same mechanism) there is a little burp, and then the much louder sound of the pellet smacking cardboard.

Those are both nice guns! I was suprised, though, to see such a huge price difference. I was also surprised to see the 853 at the $250 range but only goes 500/ft./sec.....

Keep in mind that I am very new to this, so that may not be odd to anyone else.

Chris McCollum
www.metroplexchl.com
metroplexchl@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
Those are both nice guns! I was suprised, though, to see such a huge price difference. I was also surprised to see the 853 at the $250 range but only goes 500/ft./sec.....

It's an entry level gun for 10m competition, so all it needs to do is punch paper.l

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
Teryx
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gringo,
Basically, in hunting guns you pay for power and in target guns you pay for accuracy. In many target guns in fact, the lower power is seen as an advantage. You can pay many times the cost of an 853 for a high end target rifle that still shoots only 500 fps. The biggest reason the 853 costs so much more than it's poor cousin the 953 is because it has a german Lothar Walther barrel. Add in a nice wood stock and precision sights, and there you are. The 953 is a real bargain though, and is very well made to boot. The only problem I had with mine was that when they painted the barrel they didn't plug the bore and paint got in! I used a little MEK on a Qtip and fixed it right up.

Teryx
RE: Quiet air rifle 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:24 am Reply with quote
packrat
I had a .22 NPSS that was way quieter than most..but from what I understand the Benjamin Marauder is THE QUIETEST of all.. I have a 2250B, 18" barrel with a "stageV" TKO muzzle brake, and in all honesty I don't think it can be heard past 20 feet..just goes pfft. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
BBGun Bob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
By far the quietest air rifle I'v ever heard.

Daisy's are cheap plastic junk,with a 6 pound trigger pull.
Save your money and disappointment Don't buy a Daisy.
Sorry to the Daisy owners but tell it like it is,they have lost it as far as I'm concerned,they have cut corners so far even there top of the line Avanti suffers from poor quality control,plastic everywhere and sights that look like the came out of a Cracker Jack box.If I'm not mistaken the whole Powerline models are all made in China now.

Buy something you will want to keep forever,shoots accurately,and is dependable out of the box.This will keep you happy and interested in the air gun sport for years to come..

Anything less is a waste of money and more than likely will disappoint you to the point of loosing interest in air guns forever.

Just My Personal Opinion
BBGun Bob

Re: Hands down "The Marauder" wins! 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Teryx
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
BBGun Bob wrote:
By far the quietest air rifle I'v ever heard.

Daisy's are cheap plastic junk,with a 6 pound trigger pull.
Save your money and disappointment Don't buy a Daisy.
Sorry to the Daisy owners but tell it like it is,they have lost it as far as I'm concerned,they have cut corners so far even there top of the line Avanti suffers from poor quality control,plastic everywhere and sights that look like the came out of a Cracker Jack box.If I'm not mistaken the whole Powerline models are all made in China now.

Buy something you will want to keep forever,shoots accurately,and is dependable out of the box.This will keep you happy and interested in the air gun sport for years to come..

Anything less is a waste of money and more than likely will disappoint you to the point of loosing interest in air guns forever.

Just My Personal Opinion
BBGun Bob

Wow, ….Well, I’d like to the first to apologize to the other forum members here for my part in not “telling it like it is” Apology . I’m not sure where I got so cornfused, but I’m glad to be set straight. My 953 has a trigger pull of 3.6 pounds measured on an RCBS scale. Damn thing must be way off. That’s good to know. Mine came with pretty nice fiber optic sights, but I’m sure they will fall apart in time. The weight of the gun felt really nice to me at a little over 6 pounds and perfectly balanced, but what do I know?? 'Tard The competition styled stock is one of very few that I found near perfect ergonomically. Go figure Shrug Both the hand placement and LOP fit like a glove, and the texturing gives it a nice feel. As much as I love my Marauder, I had to toss the stock. I found it literally unusable. Groups from my 953 are under a dime at 10 yards, and at 485 fps measured, it has plenty of power for backyard plinking without posing a big threat in case of a stray shot. At least….., that’s what I thought Rolling Eyes . Pyramid air lists the sound level the same as the Marauder. It is different though. The Marauder makes a “ping” sound while the 953 makes a low pop. For just $72 it seemed to me like one of the best bets out there for a quiet backyard fun gun, as opposed to spending 10X that amount on a Marauder set-up. It's certainly not the end all in air rifles, but it offers a lot for very little money IMO. Come to think of it though, I never did so well in economics class, so just disregard that too Geek .

I would never want to be responsible for steering anyone in a direction that might make them lose interest in air guns forever, so I feel compelled to post this retraction for my part in that. I’ve noticed that the customer feedback on the 953 at PA is 5 stars. What a bunch of knuckle heads! I’ve forwarded Bob’s opinion to them and hopefully that will get straightened out Deal!?! . Again, my sincere apologies to anyone mislead by any irresponsible statements I may have made. Smile

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from me Cool .

Teryx

Last edited by Teryx on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
gringogigante
Teryx,

Can you send me a link to the pyramid air site that discusses the sound level of the rifles?

Thanks for all of ya'lls help!

Keep'em coming.

Chris

Chris McCollum
www.metroplexchl.com
metroplexchl@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Teryx
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chris,
Here's a link: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Daisy_Powerline_953_TargetPro/585

click on "specifications" if it doesn't come up. They give the guns a number rating. A red ryder is a #1. The 953 and the Marauder are both #2. they do sound different though. Even if someone heard the Marauder, they wouldn't know what it was. The 953 sounds more like a pellet rifle.

Teryx

Last edited by Teryx on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
packrat
Pyramyd Air's "Airgun Reporter uses a decibel level meter on every review he does on his little episodes.....it's one thing I checked before buying the NPSS...The Marauder decibel level was 85...the NPSS decibel level was 66, both rifles checked in same building with same equipment. The quieter NPSS was a factor in my deciding to buy one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
the sound of the shot of my .22 mrod is quieter than my 953.

the pellet hitting the target is a different story. Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Point of clarification. It seems that the OP wants to target shoot (not hunt) in his backyard. Is that the inteded use for the airgun?

Any reccomendation is going to be tied to the expectation of the user.
What is the quietest air rifle? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles