Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Dieseling with Gamo Airgun Oil?
Dieseling with Gamo Airgun Oil? 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Buster Bodine
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Howdy all,

I've been shooting BB and pellet guns for about 40 years now but just bought my first high velocity airgun. (Gamo Big Cat)

I must say I am very pleased and impressed with the gun, amazingly accurate and powerful at distances I still have a hard time believing, and just a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.

But to the "problem..."

I bought the Gamo maintenance kit which seems like a very nice kit, and I was advised by my brother who's owned an FWB for many years that I should never use any petroleum based oil in the gun as it would ignite under pressure and could blow up the gun's powerplant.

Okay fine, well noted. But, I used the Gamo oil and after lubing the breech seal, I got a pretty impressive amount of smoke on following shots. I can't detect any drop in performance, but have I damaged the seals? Is there something wrong with Gamo oil, or is this normal?

I punched the bore after getting the smoke shots and there was a lot of carbon in there, the patches came out pretty black, I think its pretty conclusive there's some combustion going on.

So, in short, is this a Bad Thing?
Should I switch to another oil?
Is everything fine and I'm just being paranoid?

Thanks for any help I can get.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Your brother is correct- petroleum-based lubes shouldn't be near the chamber of a springer.

Is the Gamo product petroleum based? Maybe- it could have been designed for Co2 guns, despite the fact Gamo specializes in springers. Or, perhaps the lube is only meant to drip a bit in the spring area of the gun or hinges, but not the compression tube area.

The fact you are getting some sort of ignition is not a good sign. Switch to a silicone-based lube and you should be fine.

A few shots with a/the petroleum based lube probably hasn't done any real damage, but repetitive use likely will.

And, Welcome to AirGunHome.com

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Buster Bodine
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the quick answer and the welcome Eric, I think I'll probably have a lot of questions in days to come.

You say "silicone based lube"

Is this something I can go to the local hardware store and ask for, or do I need to look for something airgun specific.

I've got to admit, I'm really pretty paranoid about blowing the seals out of this rifle. It's my first "adult" airgun and it seems to be such a really nice specimen, I want to do everything I can to keep it humming along for a long time to come.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Eric is right on.

If your brother hasn't told you already, don't buy into Gamo's PBA pellets. They actually hurt your gun (explanation maybe later, I have to leave in a few minutes at time of posting).

Use pellets that weigh at LEAST 7 grains, and preferably 8gr.

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
Buster Bodine
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
fritz wrote:
Eric is right on.

If your brother hasn't told you already, don't buy into Gamo's PBA pellets. They actually hurt your gun (explanation maybe later, I have to leave in a few minutes at time of posting).

Use pellets that weigh at LEAST 7 grains, and preferably 8gr.

I think I can figure that one out. Just like dry firing, too light a pellet won't provide enough resistance to allow for controlled decompression of the powerplant. You'll end up getting the same results as dryfiring, it'll just take longer for it to happen.

Is that about right?

FWIW, I tried a few rounds of PBA that came with the gun and was highly unimpressed with the instant loss of accuracy. Tiny 30 yard groups shot with Raptos turned into loose patterns with the PBA (Particularly Bad Accuracy?) pellets and I lost interest in them immediately.

But, I didn't know about the 8gr minimum and I was wondering about that if I was going to use other than Gamo pellets, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:13 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Silicone lube- as long as it doesn't have any petroleum distillate content, you'd be fine. You an get it from Crosman "Silicone Break Barrel Chamber Oil", or buy some generic spray-lube silicone from an auto parts store- but with it, spray it into a container- not directly in/on the gun as often the propellant in the spraycan have a bit of petroleum content.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
Slavia
And you truly don't need much - one or two drops.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Gamo should make 8gr pellets.

The 8 grain thing is to make sure you are getting complete piston braking before the pellet leaves the barrel. Besides providing more shock to game and overall higher energy levels.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
lauchlin
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I agree with every thing but that new gun is not going to need oil for a very long time .And it most defiantly does not need oil now ..................

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Buster Bodine
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
lauchlin wrote:
I agree with every thing but that new gun is not going to need oil for a very long time .And it most defiantly does not need oil now ..................

Uhhh, actually you may be a little hasty there. I've gone through about 900 pellets in the last 12 days or so. :D

And y'all are gonna have to bear with me until I learn all this new nomenclature, I realized this afternoon that PBAs and "Raptors" are the same thing. I've actually been shooting the Gamo ROCKET pellets with just a few of the Raptor/PBAs thrown in for experimentation's sake.

Thanks again for all the great info!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Try using Gamo hunter or magnum. Those rockets seem expensive.

Going to bed in a minute or two, will post you some suggestions in the morning.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
lauchlin
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Buster Bodine wrote:
lauchlin wrote:

Uhhh, actually you may be a little hasty there. I've gone through about 900 pellets in the last 12 days or so. :D

And y'all are gonna have to bear with me until I learn all this new nomenclature, I realized this afternoon that PBAs and "Raptors" are the same thing. I've actually been shooting the Gamo ROCKET pellets with just a few of the Raptor/PBAs thrown in for experimentation's sake.

Thanks again for all the great info!

Hasty about what i might know a thing or two after 35 years and i own a few hundred airgun trust me no oil 900 rounds is nothing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Lauchlin is correct- you don't need to constantly oil your rifle- a couple thousand shots and it's time. Mind-you, if you are using the correct lube, lubing more often than required is better than less often...

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
Buster Bodine
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
lauchlin wrote:
Hasty about what i might know a thing or two after 35 years and i own a few hundred airgun trust me no oil 900 rounds is nothing

Didn't mean to get your back up or slight your expertise lauchlin, it was said in jest. I didn't think you'd assume I had put that many rounds through it that fast.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:12 am Reply with quote
lauchlin
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Buster Bodine wrote:
lauchlin wrote:

Didn't mean to get your back up or slight your expertise lauchlin, it was said in jest. I didn't think you'd assume I had put that many rounds through it that fast.

Oh no problem i have fix more gun from being over oil but never from under trust me less is better ...........
Dieseling with Gamo Airgun Oil? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles